Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is Just All Kinds of Wrong - Rolling Stone's Top 100 Metal Albums of All Time

This is Just All Kinds of Wrong - Rolling Stone's Top 100 Metal Albums of All Time

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...d-1996-w487071

Seriously, Motley Crue? Motley Crue?!

The top 25 are:

1. Black Sabbath, Paranoid
    2. Metallica, Master of Puppets
    3. Judas Priest, British Steel
    4. Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast
    5. Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
    6. Slayer, Reign in Blood
    7. Motörhead, No Remorse (aka the one wif Ace of Spades)
    8. Megadeth, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
    9. Ozzy, Blizzard of Ozz
    10. Pantera, Vulgar Display of Power
    11. Metallica, Ride the Lightning
    12. Judas Priest, Screaming for Vengeance
    13. Iron Maiden, Iron Maiden
    14. Black Sabbath, Vol. 4
    15. Ozzy, Diary of a Madman
    16. Dio, Holy Diver
    17. Mercyful Fate, Melissa
    18. Tool, Ænima
    19. Megadeth, Rust in Peace
    20. Anthrax, Among the Living
    21. Metallica, And Justice for All
    22. Mötley Crüe, Too Fast for Love
    23. Danzig, Danzig
    24. Rage Against the Machine, Rage Against the Machine
    25. Metallica, Metallica
    Last edited by Jerjo; 06-30-2017 at 09:35 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I like RATM a lot, but they aren't metal. Slayer's way too high (overrated band, anyway), and f**k Pantera (damn, do they suck).

There should be at least one more Dio album in there. Heaven and Hell should be in there. And no Saxon? Shit.

I read "This is just all kinds of wrong - Rolling Stone"... and I already knew not to continue.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    i was surprised to see mayhem on the top 40
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

[QUOTE=Jerjo;711333

Seriously, Motley Crue? Motley Crue?!

[/QUOTE]

Well, better than Korn...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

7. Motörhead, No Remorse (aka the one wif Ace of Spades)
    Not aimed at you...but, well, no it isn't really. That's a compilation and the only one on the list. They should have gone for the original 1980 Ace Of Spades album itself, if having that track was the criteria. That year 1980 was probably a peak of some kind for metal- the older artists rejuvenated and a new breed of bands (NWOBHM) like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Diamond Head etc. coming through. This list is too heavy on later metal for my own personal taste. How do you have a Top 25 list without Master Of Reality??

Motley Crue were heavy metal in the early 80s. Those first couple of albums they recorded were full of snotty attitude and good lead guitar playing. Vince Neal is horrible, but the songs were early 80s metal. I have no problem with Motley being on the list.

It's not that bad. There are some goofy choices towards the end but if you exclude 10 or so nu-metal/grunge albums it is a reasonable heavy metal primer. Presumably that is the purpose.

A "real" list would just be all Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica and Iron Maiden albums when you get down to it. Some Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax and then you've got a good part of 100 which would be a pretty boring list. I believe "Painkiller" is omitted which is glaring.

Good to see Dio and Danzig ranked so highly. No particular issue with Motley Crue being included... "Too Fast for Love" and "Shout at the Devil" are part of the history and its reasonable the band is included on a primer-type list.

Also, as someone pointed out Ace of Spades is from the Ace of Spades album. Weird that they chose a compilation for Motorhead. They have many great albums.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not aimed at you...but, well, no it isn't really. That's a compilation and the only one on the list. They should have gone for the original 1980 Ace Of Spades album itself, if having that track was the criteria. That year 1980 was probably a peak of some kind for metal- the older artists rejuvenated and a new breed of bands (NWOBHM) like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Diamond Head etc. coming through. This list is too heavy on later metal for my own personal taste. How do you have a Top 25 list without Master Of Reality??
    using a compilation in something such as this is a cop out unless you are talking about ones that best define the career of the band or artist in question
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The list comes from Rolling Stone and you expected something different than the crap you got?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BakerStMuse View Post
    No particular issue with Motley Crue being included... "Too Fast for Love" and "Shout at the Devil" are part of the history and its reasonable the band is included on a primer-type list.
    Same here. Either/or landing on a Top 100 metal list is justifiable.

Also, as someone pointed out Ace of Spades is from the Ace of Spades album. Weird that they chose a compilation for Motorhead.
    I bet they didn't mean to.

They have many great albums.
    I'd put Another Perfect Day ahead of Ace of Spades. It's the one album with Brian Robertson on guitar.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would have added Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd go with Overkill or Ace Of Spades for Motorhead, Overkill is my personal favorite.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think it's really idiotic that a cheesy Dio solo ranks higher than Heaven and Hell or Rainbow Rising.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's not that bad. There are some goofy choices towards the end but if you exclude 10 or so nu-metal/grunge albums it is a reasonable heavy metal primer. Presumably that is the purpose.

A "real" list would just be all Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica and Iron Maiden albums when you get down to it. Some Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax and then you've got a good part of 100 which would be a pretty boring list. I believe "Painkiller" is omitted which is glaring.
    I never took to that one, felt like them jumping on the thrash bandwagon to me, and trying too hard. I think it's right to stay with the younger thrash artists who were simply better at it, IMHO. I kind of agree though that those four bands would dominate.

Are Budgie in the full list, they were quite influential? And why are Motley Crue in the Top 25 and Van Halen/Kiss are not? Motley Crue are certainly no heavier to these ears, arguably less in fact. I remember first hearing Motley Crue expecting this really heavy band...and they aren't, really. I think some of their songs are good for what they are but I agree that Vince Neil is a weak link...same with most of those hair bands, whiny vocals.

I think Seventh Son... should be there. That's the direction I'd liked them to have gone further with- a more melodic, refined approach.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think it's really idiotic that a cheesy Dio solo ranks higher than Heaven and Hell or Rainbow Rising.
    Agreed
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    This is even better, also from RS. Ozzy's Top 10 Metal Albums. Most of them aren't metal, IMHO. But they do rock.

Ozzy Osbourne: My 10 Favorite Metal Albums
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Well, I do like the Dio albums, he had some great players... but I agree, they aren't better than H&H or Rising!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That jumped out at me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, I do like the Dio albums, he had some great players... but I agree, they aren't better than H&H or Rising!
    Holy Diver is a classic. While Heaven and Hell should be on there, I wouldn't slight any of Dio's early solos. There's a lot of dreck on that list (Evanescence) that could be dropped to make room.

But it's only a list.

And nothing by Manowar. That's all kinda wrong.

What??? No Jethro Tull??? "Crest Of A Knave" won the 1988 Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance beating out "...And Justice for All" by Metallica. There is no justice at all!!!

Lol

I'm assuming this is one of those deals where you got to click page after page after page to get the full list, right? Yeah, I'm not doing that.

Beyond that, my personal Hot One Hundred of Metal would be all records from the 70's and 80's, heavy on the Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, etc. I'd probably include at least one of the Roth era Scorpions records (perhaps Tokyo Tapes), Accept, and Helloween (Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Baby!). Obviously the first couple records each from Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax would have to be on there, too. Maybe Slayer, too, though I'm not that crazy about them. Early Budgie would be on there, too. Maybe even Hawkwind (two words: Space Ritual).

There'd be no cookie monster vocals or numetal or even so called groove metal on my list, though. Why do they even call it "groove metal"? I have the understanding that Pantera are the "groove metal" band, but "groove" is the last thing I'd associate with their music. "Stick up the ass metal" is more like it.

I'm not sure I'd put bands like Kiss, Thin Lizzy, or Rainbow on a "heavy metal" list. To me, those are "hard rock" bands, and to me there's a difference between hard rock and metal, though of course, it kind of blurs together at some point. (shrug)

As for No Remorse, yeah, it's a best of, but if you want an career overview of Motorhead, it's a pretty good selection of material. And it's got a gaggle of songs from the then-new quartet lineup of the band (who I've always liked better than the Fast Eddie era group). Having said that, my list would probably have Ace Of Spades, Overkill, Orgasmatron, and maybe No Sleep At All on it, so perhaps No Remorse would be superfluous.

WTF is "groove metal"? I filed Pantera under "sounds like ass" and moved on.