Thread: Mostly Autumn recommendations

Mostly Autumn recommendations

Love Heather Findlays voice. Where should I start??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The only two I own are “Go Well Diamond Heart” and “Last Bright Light” both of which are very good albums. “Diamond Heart” does not have Findley on it though.

Been a MA fan since the late 90's. If you love Heather's voice I'd recommend The Last Bright Light, Passengers, Heart Full Of Sky and Glass Shadows. There is often too much of Bryan singing and not enough Heather which always really bugged me. Bryan can sing but sometimes his voice really grates. If you haven't already got it you might want to start with Heather's latest solo cd 'I Am Snow' which is stunning (and includes some MA reworks which are superior to the originals imho). Enjoy!

My favorite two songs by her are Above the Blue (Glass Shadows) and Shrinking Violet (Last Bright Light, also on Heather's I am Snow). But with that said, I would recommend Passengers, it's probably their best album. About half the songs are sung by Heather.

Passengers
    The Last Bright Light
    The Spirit Of Autumn Past
    Last edited by spacefreak; 07-04-2017 at 01:58 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Passengers is their best Heather-era album imo. Haven't heard any post-Heather stuff.

The early albums which were recorded in analog, really rich and warm recordings:
    For All We Shared
    The Spirit of Autumn's Past
    The Last Bright Light (the best one)

Also Passengers is really good, the first recorded in digital.

However, then I think they started misfiring. Dropping the Irish Jigs a huge mistake. And I have not heard any post-Heather albums.

Josh's singing never bothered me.

The Last Bright Light is essential. In my opinion, it is by far their best...

Passengers and For All We Shared are also really good.

The post-Heather stuff is all very listenable too.
    The Prog Corner

Worth noting that - starting with Passengers - Heather's voice seemed to mature. I echo the recommendations for The Last Bright Light and The Spirit of Autumn Past, and I'm personally very fond of the re-recordings of selected tracks from those albums on Catch The Spirit.

I will also echo the I Am Snow release and add The Songs from The Old Kitchen for the unusual instrumentation and more acoustic variations - and acknowledge these are better understood if one already knows the originals.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't give a mention to the Odin Dragonfly release (2007, I think) which was just Heather and Angela Gordon's side project.

I think Passengers is the best place to start and work backwards from there, then probably work forwards. Unlike many, I like Bryan Josh's voice, so I didn't mind "For All We Shared", which is mostly him singing.

Where is the best place to buy Mostly Autumn CDs online?

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Where is the best place to buy Mostly Autumn CDs online?
    Apart from all the usual places, they have their own store here:

http://www.mostly-autumn.com/mostlya.../3/index3.html

and good news for fans of Heather is that she is soon going to be recording her new album at Rockfield Studios

http://www.heatherfindlay.co.uk/wordpress/?p=913

Thanks! I saw their online store but most of the titles I am interested in are out of stock

The Catch the Spirit compilation is an excellent way of hearing the best of the first 3(4?) albums which contain their very best songs IMHO.
    If its no longer available then you need the first three studio albums (FAWS, TSoAP & TLBL) and then Passengers.
    The following 4 albums with Heather all contain some top notch songs but these get a bit lost amongst too much relatively ordinary material.
    This trend continues through all the more recent (Olivia) albums with Dressed in Voices being the best of these.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Thanks! I saw their online store but most of the titles I am interested in are out of stock
    I noticed that the first 3 albums are now out of print which is very sad, I'm surprised the band haven't reissued them somehow. The Catch The Spirit anthology is highly recommended if you cant get those albums though.

Also highly recommended if you don't already have it is Offerings by Odin Dragonfly (Heather and Angela Gordon) - superb album.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I noticed that the first 3 albums are now out of print which is very sad, I'm surprised the band haven't reissued them somehow. The Catch The Spirit anthology is highly recommended if you cant get those albums though.
    They probably don't own those albums. I'd say that anthology is just as good, though--all the highlights, improved with the subsequent recording, without so much roughness around the edges.