Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Original Dixie Dregs Reunion Tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    ^^Wow. So anyway, the Dregs are reuniting.
    . Yeah, for awhile there I thought I got rerouted to The History of the Letterman Show thread.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The American Bandstand material (2 tracks + interview) is added as one of the extra's on the Live At Montreux 1978-DVD. The other is one track live from Don Kirsher's Rock Concert.
    I dug this DVD out over the weekend and watched it again, it had been a long time. Great stuff. Actually amazed about the TV exposure on the bonus clips, especially Bandstand of all shows back then.

I really missed the boat on these guys in the 70s. I remember either hearing a tune or two on an FM station, or possibly seeing them on TV or some footage back then and never deeply explored what they were all about and just set them aside. In fact I think I shallowly lumped them in with bands like Wet Willie and Marshall Tucker without the vocals, thinking they were a southern instrumental jam band, although that term wasnt used back then, and I wasn't interested. Of course they partly were, but I didn't explore more deeply.

Only later when I found out from being a Kansas fan that this new guitarist Morse had been in the Dixie Dregs did I realize the prog side, but of course by then the band had broken up. Never saw them live, missed the various reformations, so really looking forward to this assuming I can work out the schedule.

The banner was originally something on their touring van back in the 70s designed by their late roadie Twiggs.

As for a DVD this tour, I've read the two shows in Boulder will be filmed/recorded.

Very cool! Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    As for a DVD this tour, I've read the two shows in Boulder will be filmed/recorded.
    That would be, as the kids say, amazeballs.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post

I thought it was a bit odd they would play 2 shows in Boulder. That explains the 2nd show.

question... of these, which is the best Dregs Live album?

Bring 'Em Back Alive
    King Biscuit Flower Hour
    California Screamin'
    Live In Connecticut
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bring Em Back Alive is my fave of those.

Cali Screamin' is good too, if you want to hear more stuff from the first couple albums- Freefall, What If.

And the best one for the original lineup is the live 1/2 of Night of the Living Dregs.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    question... of these, which is the best Dregs Live album?
    I say King Biscuit. My favorite tends to alternate between Bring 'Em Back Alive and CA Screamin', but the KBFH set is possibly the purest distillation of what makes them awesome that you can find in a single live package.

it looks like King Biscuit was recorded the same year as NOTLD, making it tied with the earliest live release

and I'm gathering that the Connecticut album isn't very good???
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'm gathering that the Connecticut album isn't very good???
    Where'd you gather that? Simply curious; I don't think I've seen much commentary on Connecticut one one way or another.

I quite like it, though this show is a bit more of a grab bag since there are some non-catalog items (a couple covers and an at-the-time unreleased Morse Band song). That's probably the reason I wouldn't suggest it first, but the thing's still pretty solid.

oh, good to know!

Catch 'em if you can folks, only 4 shows left. Nothing more anytime soon as Steve will be busy again with Deep Purple who are going on the road soon pairing up with Judas Priest. I'm going to try and get some $20 tickets for that concert.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

can you name every piece in the set?

Yep