Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw Kansas Saturday Night (Spoilers)

Cool! I get to hear the songs they didn't play at the show I attended!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Looks like it's everything but the opening acoustic set.

Going to see them tonight in Dayton.
    Haven't seen Kansas since 1978.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Going to see them tonight in Dayton.
    Haven't seen Kansas since 1978.
    Wow. Just in case you haven't been keeping up, no more Walsh, no Robby, no Dave Hope, no Kerry. But they still bring it solidly with Rich and Phil etc.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-27-2018 at 09:21 AM.

I think most people would go into shock if they hadn't been following Kansas' line up changes and bought a ticket and when the band came on there is NO Steve Walsh... it's like What???? Although I think Ronnie does a great job, which brings to mind that horrible Live and Beyond that I can't even listen to because it's so compressed(or at least sounds like it).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think most people would go into shock if they hadn't been following Kansas' line up changes and bought a ticket and when the band came on there is NO Steve Walsh... it's like What???? Although I think Ronnie does a great job, which brings to mind that horrible Live and Beyond that I can't even listen to because it's so compressed(or at least sounds like it).
    From a distance Ronnie kind of looks like Walsh. I would bet that at least a few casual fans out there don't know the difference.

looks like the POKR tour starts in late Sept...

but no AZ date
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

If they came to Australia they could play whatever they want and I would be happy! Sounds great in the video...

Oh. They were great. They played the hits (I was hoping for POKR but whatever) and I gotta say - Ronnie is a beast. David was stellar. But the highlight (for me) was watching Phil behind the kit. Sounded as good as last time I saw them in 1978.
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    I'm going to see them in Baltimore in the fall... because ... wait for it ... my 16-year old daughter saw an advertisement for the gig and asked me to by tickets so there will be at least one teenager at the Baltimore show. FYI, I think she discovered Kansas via hearing "Dust in the Wind" somewhere on the internet, asked me about them and I had subsequently showed her a track off a DVD.

wasn't there a new studio album in the works?
    when does the POKR show start?

does anyone know the presale code for the POKR tour?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

they are actually coming to TUCSON of all cities!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    wasn't there a new studio album in the works?
    That's what I thought too. They seemed rather excited about it in the interviews I read. I hope it's still a thing -- The Prelude Implicit made me excited to hear more from this lineup.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Bought tickets for the Clearwater, Fl show Dec 8..PUMPED!!!!
    Of course we had to crack out the POKR remaster on vinyl Sunday.
    Friday it was Live at the Whisky...KANSAS!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Friday it was Live at the Whisky...KANSAS!!
    Oooh....did you not have a better choice?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oooh....did you not have a better choice?
    Yes, I have all the official DVD's, but Live at the Whisky has it's moments and besides, it's history.
    I had it on VHS and eventually transferred it to DVD with an old recorder I had, but also have the cd version which is what we listened to.

got my tix for TUCSON in April

psyched

Yes, I have all the official DVD's, but Live at the Whisky has it's moments and besides, it's history.
    I had it on VHS and eventually transferred it to DVD with an old recorder I had, but also have the cd version which is what we listened to.
    "Live At The Whiskey" was not one of Steve's best vocal performances, but the instrumental work on the album smokes IMO. I saw that lineup (with Ragsdale and Robert) several times and they were really firing on all cylinders. Walsh's voice had started to really deteriorate, but I still enjoy pulling out the "Live At The Whiskey" album from time to time.

Yes, instrumentally, they're on fire. But those vocals....