Thread: Ozzy's first recordings, or not?

Ozzy's first recordings, or not?

Many of you will be familiar with Pete (Psychotron) Bonner, British record collector & dealer extraordinaire. He recently found an acetate, the name of the artist which correlates to a pre-Sabbath Ozzy Osbourne's Blues band. He's posted the whole saga on his blog, along with sound samples. Imo, this doesn't sound like a young Ozzy, but you may want to have a listen and send Pete your opinion. It's probably the right band, so still a significant find. If it is Ozzy, well...

http://psychotronrecords.co.uk/ozzy-osbourne-acetate

Interesting story, but that sounds nothing like Ozzy to me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^
    The dame here!
    Regards.

Interesting........does not really sound like Ozzy to me either, although some of the vocal inflections are similar.

I read his auto, and there's no mention of said blues band.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Maybe he forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    That part doesn't seem to be in dispute, so I'm not sure you've got anything there.

This is wild.

It sure doesn't sound like him to me, but this quote is huge, IMO:

"The split is about 80:20 as I write. This includes Jim Simpson (their first manager) is “pretty certain” it’s Ozzy."

Jim Simpson said a couple of years back that Osbourne used to mimic his favorite singers on blues recordings and could do a really convincing job of it. And I recall in this same interview (a documentary on Birmingham or somesuch) that Simpson prefaced what he said with; "He probably wouldn't admit it now ..."

Upon their hearing it, I can definitely understand why the Osbourne camp would probably not believe this was him, and it probably isn't, but man this is curious.

It not being mentioned in his book seems almost irrelevant to me. Most of us have some memory gaps as it is, and we're talking about a guy who due to substance abuse clearly has some periods of his life which are damned near blank. At the same time, you'd think he'd remember if an acetate was cut by The Prospectors while he was in the band. And I do believe there is some evidence that he was in that band.

This would have been prior to his alcohol and drug days, but I'm not sure that would necessarily correspond to his remembering it even if it had taken place. Then again, he does seem to remember quite a lot from the early days of Earth/Sabbath.

Was this before he was in the band the Magic Lanterns ? It even looks like him on the back cover !!

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Was this before he was in the band the Magic Lanterns ?
    Shame, shame.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx