Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post a good unknown album or two or more

Post a good unknown album or two or more

Green Tambourine Full Album The Lemon Pipers

When I saw this guy looking more cosmic, happy and trippy than Jon Anderson, I had to track more songs down.

LEMON PIPERS - Green Tambourine (1967)

Unknown? That was the second album I ever owned.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Foreigner - Cat Stevens
    Anyone on this site who hasn't heard Foreigner Suite is really missing out on 18 minutes of great jazz tinged prog. Drummer Gerry Conway ( yes, you know that name ) plays on it.

Monster - Steppenwolf
    John Kay and co deliver a conceptual piece that could almost be a fore-runner to The Gates Of Delirium (at least, in structure).

Neal Morse - s/t . Before Jesus, there was a great singer songwriter who took a break from his proggy day job to record a real grower of an album. Didn't like it at first (not proggy like SB) - but oh, how it grows on you. A masterpiece he has never been able to top. YMMV.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    First I'll mention a great compilation: "The Erteguns' New York" A great 4CD boxed set of New York cabaret music that is infectiously good. Can't find it on YouTube.

Next, something you'll only like if you had a parent who loved schmaltz, as did I. This isn't the full album but it's the main suite. My Dad gave me this album when I was a kid. CTTOI, this probably helped set me up to like prog. Seriously though, if you can't handle schmaltz, don't press Play.

As previously mentioned in another thread, I think the Movies’ fourth album, India, is a seriously underrated power-pop album:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Budi und Gumbls' Hmm

The first one that comes to mind is one where the performers are internationally acclaimed, but for some reason this superb album is no longer available. Irish Heartbeat by Van Morrison and The Chieftains. Simply one of the best adaptations of Gaelic standards I have ever heard...

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Little Atlas......Wanderlust. A great album. Melodic, symphonic, third wave prog. Love it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Not sure if this is unknown enough, but this is a really nice record:

Arthur Jeffes (Penguin Cafe) side project. Might appeal to fans of artists like Wim Mertens or Nik Bärtsch.

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Budi und Gumbls' Hmm
    I don’t know what it is with this album. I used to see used copies all the time back in the 90s (that weird cartoon artwork tends to stick in the mind). Was this a “hit” in Germany? By the way, that’s Büdi Siebert, a sideman who played sax and flute on, among others, a few Hoelderlin albums.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post

Great, great album - although, among collectors of Eastern European progressive at least, this isn't unknown at all.

Although I can obviously see how the term would still apply in a thread where someone actually in full apparent seriousness goes on posting titles by Cat Stevens and Neal f'n Morse.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Unknown to this forum... but good... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I don’t know what it is with this album. I used to see used copies all the time back in the 90s (that weird cartoon artwork tends to stick in the mind). Was this a “hit” in Germany? By the way, that’s Büdi Siebert, a sideman who played sax and flute on, among others, a few Hoelderlin albums.
    Of course this wasn't a hit in Germany by any means. The cartoon artist is well known, I often stumbled upon his drawings.

Gumbls is a funny (slightly drunken sounding) phonetic take on Kumpels (friends) by the way.

Krozier & The Generator - Tranceformer (Geoff Krozier and Rainbow Generator)

Not quite "unknown", but...

Daisuke Tobari-Till The End Of The Dream.Semi demented psyche freak folk from this Japanese cat.

Last edited by walt; 06-25-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

One of my personal desert island discs. Great studio side with protest music, straight blues and, yes, even prog. The other half has some of the best live jamming you'll ever hear with some killer interplay between bass and guitar.

Mountain is one of those great under-appreciated bands.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Great, great album - although, among collectors of Eastern European progressive at least, this isn't unknown at all.

Although I can obviously see how the term would still apply in a thread where someone actually in full apparent seriousness goes on posting titles by Cat Stevens and Neal f'n Morse.
    This was recorded and released in Australia as a self-titled album. The pic on that clip is the original cover.

It was reissued years later as "Devil's Masquerade"
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    This was recorded and released in Australia as a self-titled album. The pic on that clip is the original cover.

It was reissued years later as "Devil's Masquerade"
    Er, yes - I know. By a Hungarian band who also released other things not quite as good. Albeit in Hungary only.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

St. Louis band Lida Una

Here's a 1970 US rock band with great vocals that I discovered accidentally from Amazon.

I thought I ordered the UK proto prog Goliath from the same year.

Spooky Tooth/ Savoy Brown/ CSN flavors

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Wisconsin's very own Sunblind Lion from the mid-70s.