Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: PFM - L'isola di Niente

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The recent, live version of the album is excellent - spun it today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    So is there anything in the symphonic genre that can compete with PFM and Banco? Those were the first two that I heard and after listening to dozens of italian bands, I have encountered excellent music but no true equals. I love for example Quella Vecchia Locanda but I wouldn't put them on the same level. Any thoughts on that?
    To my ears, PFM and Banco are the ultimate Symphonic Rock bands. Genesis and Yes are not in their league. Crimso are also great but they were no longer just a Symph style band once Bruford and Wetton joined. If Camel can be considered Symph, they also come close IMO

L'Isola is the culmination of the perfect triad. The next best PFM album since LdN is Stati Di Imagini AFAIC

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You think Goblin (and Orme and Banco DMS) had a higher profile and greater success than PFM?
    To me Le orme are quite a bit better. True prog band with plenty of fine compositions. Great run of albums in the 70s. PFM were too hit and miss. I like Le Orme more than Yes and Genesis too
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 07-09-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    To me Le orme are quite a bit better. True prog band with plenty of fine compositions. Great run of albums in the 70s. PFM were too hit and miss. I like Le Orme more than Yes and Genesis too
    Well, I definitely disagree here. I think PFM were pretty solid up to and including Chocolate Kings (still haven’t heard Jet Lag, not that I didn’t want to). Orme have some excellent albums, but it’s been a bumpy road. Certainly Smogmagica and Storia o leggenda were hardly precious gems, to say nothing of their lame early beat/psych albums.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Well, I definitely disagree here. I think PFM were pretty solid up to and including Chocolate Kings (still haven’t heard Jet Lag, not that I didn’t want to). Orme have some excellent albums, but it’s been a bumpy road. Certainly Smogmagica and Storia o leggenda were hardly precious gems, to say nothing of their lame early beat/psych albums.
    I tend to agree.

But you know what they say; diff'rent strokes, and all that.

[...] I like Le Orme more than Yes and Genesis too
    That's cool. It sounds like they rank pretty high up there on your list (if not at the very top), and they definitely released some great music over the years. They are't my personal favorite, but I still spin their records pretty often when I'm in the mood for some Italian symphonic rock. And I love Aldo's voice, even if he doesn't have as much range as some.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Storia is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    To my ears, PFM and Banco are the ultimate Symphonic Rock bands. Genesis and Yes are not in their league.
    Said no one

Ever

Storia is awesome

Storia is a favorite of mine as well, although Le Orme wouldn't make my list of Top 25 prog bands.

Well and good. But "big" is a measure of success/profile/impact etc, not "who I like better/best." Madonna and Britney were fucking awful, imo. But no denying that they were big. Huge, in fact.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Well and good. But "big" is a measure of success/profile/impact etc, not "who I like better/best." Madonna and Britney were fucking awful, imo. But no denying that they were big. Huge, in fact.
    Who I like better, in order of preference:

1) PFM (by a wide margin)

2) Banco (listening today and quite brilliant)

3) Le Orme (I think there longevity of good to excellent music that continued into the 90s).
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 07-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

My first exposure to PFM was the Photos Of Ghosts album, which I picked up in the late 70s or mid 80s. It's OK, but I wasn't at all blown away. Along the way, I picked up Cook and The World Became The World, and I like Cook pretty well, but based on my limited exposure, they're not in my top 10 Italian favorites. Probably not close. The records I have have never prompted me to make picking up the Italian versions a priority.

My first exposure to PFM was the Photos Of Ghosts album, which I picked up in the late 70s or mid 80s. It's OK, but I wasn't at all blown away. Along the way, I picked up Cook and The World Became The World, and I like Cook pretty well, but based on my limited exposure, they're not in my top 10 Italian favorites. Probably not close. The records I have have never prompted me to make picking up the Italian versions a priority.
    It's hard to explain exactly, but when I first heard Per Un Amico, it was like a "blanket" was lifted from the songs. Everything about them just kind of made more sense and it all just worked.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Banned
    for certain

so, though Genesis and Yes are the poster boys of Symphonic Rock who moved more product than any other Symph band, that doesn't make them "who I like better/best"

it is perfectly normal for the majority to prefer the artists who moved the most product but that never makes those artists "the best"
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-10-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: grammar correction

^ Agree 100%

You gotta get the first three PFM albums in their original Italian-language form. Waaaayyyy better.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It's hard to explain exactly, but when I first heard Per Un Amico, it was like a "blanket" was lifted from the songs. Everything about them just kind of made more sense and it all just worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    You gotta get the first three PFM albums in their original Italian-language form. Waaaayyyy better.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    though Genesis and Yes are the poster boys of Symphonic Rock who moved more product than any other Symph band, that doesn't make them "who I like better/best"
    It isn't a question of who you like better, I can respect that, but to say they aren't in the same league?

Please

Symphonic prog is limited. Gotta mix it up

PFM have signed with Inside/Out, and a new album is on the way.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.