Thread: New Pere Ubu album on Cherry Red

New Pere Ubu album on Cherry Red

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

"David Thomas says 'To my way of thinking, the new album is The James Gang teaming up with Tangerine Dream. Or something like that. The Chinese Whispers methodology we worked on the last two albums, now that everyone has gotten comfortable with it, has been replaced by the Dark Room. Put a bunch of musicians in a lightless room and by feeling one small section of an unknown object have them figure what it must be.’ "

Fuck yeah.

Big Pere Ubu fan in the 80's. Always loved David Thomas, he's not from here....
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Big Pere Ubu fan in the 80's. Always loved David Thomas, he's not from here....
    I saw them at a very small club last year in Pittsburgh. Thomas seems . . . eccentric. That's probably a good word. At various points during the show, it looked like he was going to assault the band. They didn't seem to like him much, either. Not sure how much of that was an act, but the music was wonderful. I became an instant fan (I'd never really heard them before!).

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I saw them at a very small club last year in Pittsburgh. Thomas seems . . . eccentric. That's probably a good word. At various points during the show, it looked like he was going to assault the band. They didn't seem to like him much, either. Not sure how much of that was an act, but the music was wonderful. I became an instant fan (I'd never really heard them before!).
    I saw Pere Ubu in the mid 80's, I believe it was the DUB HOUSING tour. Later I saw David Thomas accompanied by a clarinet player...I'm not sure if eccentric quite covers him. I would imagine that he is very difficult to work with.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

From interviews I've seen over the years, it seems he views his live persona as is he's an actor playing a role with some dada and absurdism thrown in for good measure and not a reflection of the "real" David Thomas. He's an interesting guy.

No Atlanta date on this stretch. Boo! Hiss!

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/stor...-missile-silo/

Just a reminder. CD showed up yesterday. Had a listen on the way to work. It's all sorts of Pere Ubu.

Also saw them last year in the tiny Borderline club in London, with their Grand Guignol performance (all nine current members on stage at once) .... best encore ever, even though Dave sat down for the entire gig. Kick out the Jams (MC5), Final Solution and Sonic Reducer (Rocket from the Tombs/Dead Boys).

^Oh that sounds wonderful.

Isn’t Chris Cutler playing a few gigs with Pere Ubu soon?

A little bit of press for the new album:
    https://dustedmagazine.tumblr.com/po...McB7WZHZS75ClQ

https://soundblab.com/reviews/albums...O6MPuCw3-ptYPg

Plus a track from the new album. I'll politely wait until I'm holding (*fondle*) that plastic in my grubby hands.

And since I'm conversing with myself, yes, Cutler did do some gigging with Pere Ubu and those gigs are included on the live side of this release.

The Long Goodbye arrived yesterday. I can't articulate all my thoughts right now, but this album is fantastic. Utterly bizarre but completely listenable. It sounds like Pere Ubu but doesn't kowtow to expectations or tradition.

David Thomas was worried that this might be the last Pere Ubu album. That thinking seems to have passed as Thomas' health has improved, but if it is, it couldn't be a higher note on which to go out.

Easily my favorite release so far this year.

Saw them about 5 years ago iirc. Thomas sat in a chair most of the night, but it was brilliant show.

yes, have to get this new one!

This is just wonderful. Enjoy.

Pere Ubu is the featured daily on Bandcamp:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lifetime-...al-discography

Nothing new but a nice read all the same.

I saw them sometime in the 90s in Ann Arbor, MI. Eric Drew Feldman was in the band at the time. He patiently answered all my questions about Beefheart and Snakefinger.

Yay!