Thread: Glen Campbell - Adios

Glen Campbell - Adios

I for one have never been a big fan of Country Music. Although I do like some of the legends in that field that I grew up with. So if you're like me, old, you'll remember one of those legends, Glen Campbell. Many are aware that he is entering the final stages of Alzheimer's Disease, which has now silenced him, sadly. But before his mind was robbed, he recorded his final swan song album Adios, that was just released this week. It contains new versions of his classic hits, plus songs that he liked but never performed or recorded. His voice still shines throughout. And even though he can't speak anymore, his wife says that when he hears music, Glen gets a big smile and tries to sing along. Anyway I just thought that those in my age group would possibly want to check out this final effort. IMO it's worth the listen, and brings back lots of memories. You can hear samples on Amazon. And I hope he has success on the Country Music charts.

https://www.amazon.com/Adi%C3%B3s-Gl.../dp/B071R7P9ZP
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

While technically a "country" musician, he had much crossover appeal. He was also an extraordinary guitarist before Alzheimer's robbed him of that.

A Few years ago, he made the local news in the Phoenix area when he was arrested for drunk driving. While serving his weekend jail sentence in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Tent City Jail, Glen put on a concert for the other inmates.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

He may have been considered a Country musician, but he toured and played with the Beach Boys for many years.

Beautiful and bittersweet. Great guitarist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this a RIP thread. So he recorded an album called Goodbye. God bless him. Never been a fan but I watched his variety show way back when. He had a lot of hits back then.

Yeah Glen's career was more than just country music. I think I remember he performed on several of the monkees early hits. Great guitarist and great guy. Sad to see him in the state he's in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a big fan of his music (there are some good songs), but a huge fan of his talent...!

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    He may have been considered a Country musician, but he toured and played with the Beach Boys for many years.
    He actually only toured with them for a few months- Bruce Johnston took over from him fairly swiftly.

There's a very good concert for the BBC that Glen Campbell did with Jimmy Webb (his long-time friend and songwriter of many of his big hits) where he played things like 'Classical Gas', alongside all the hits you'd expect. Indeed, those hits with Webb are pretty much perfection; the songs, his performances and the arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Yeah Glen's career was more than just country music. I think I remember he performed on several of the monkees early hits. Great guitarist and great guy. Sad to see him in the state he's in.
    Glen was one of the Wrecking Crew, the group of studio musicians who played on like every record recorded in LA during the 60's, so yeah he's probably on some of the Monkees records. I remember at some point VH-1 did a list of the 100 Greatest Singles Of All Time or something like that. In a subsequent article on him in Guitar Player, he mentioned watching it and he counted some inordinate number of songs that he had played on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Campbell did a fair amount of recording with the Beach Boys, including playing on Pet Sounds. Glen’s voice can be heard on this 1963 gem ‘Malibu Sunset’:

As for touring, I love what Glen had to say about his first few dates with them on stage:

"I filled in for Brian for a few dates in Dallas and Houston. Mike [Love] and Carl [Wilson] called me on a Wednesday and said, ‘Glen, can you be here tomorrow? You gotta play bass and do Brian’s part.’ I said, ‘Sure.’ I had been doing their sessions, so I could easily fill in. The only problem was, I didn’t know all the words to the songs. They’d be singing “Pasadena,” and I’d be singing something else. I didn’t know what I was saying. But the screams were so loud from the girls, you’d walk onstage and you couldn’t hear a thing anyway."

It was remiss of me not to mention the most tangible Glen Campbell/Beach Boys connection- namely the former's single from 1965, 'Guess I'm Dumb'. This was a Brian Wilson/Russ Titelman song and it is one of those where you can hear Wilson already moving towards Pet Sounds. Sold nothing much but it is magnificent.

http://www.45cat.com/record/5441