Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheer Accident

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to believe it played on TV! I just went and found it - October 2013 in the subscription. Very dark (lighting-wise) and gritty. Black & white. I didn't know it was Jeff before reading yesterday's article. Basically all you see is his face with like goggles on. He's acting very creepy - like he's doing something weird out of frame... while mumbling "help... help grandma...". It's just the one shot.
    Oh, this is great!! Just watched it...hahahahaha....

So....

I realize that Thymme’s experimental way of releasing “Chicago XX” probably stopped a few potential listeners here from being listeners, but I thought it was a particularly good release.

I liked it more than Fades, and I’ve enjoyed everything they’ve released for at least the last dozen years; I finally came around to Salad Days, so my total winning streak with them starts there, I suppose.

But I thought this new one is extra memorable, and I am happy to have three in three years from them, without the six year (!!!) gap that happened between No Ifs and Putting Off.

Anyone?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I really like Chicago XX! Possibly their most well-rounded, as far as covering the spectrums of accessibility, technical chops, & weirdness. I'm not good at comparing releases tho. I like them all fairly equally because of the context they give each other.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fear Draws Misfortune through Putting Off Death is a fantastic three album run for me, that's the high point of what I have. I haven't heard Chicago XX yet and won't until it's available on download or CD. Buying vinyl to get a download makes no sense for me personally.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I really like Chicago XX! Possibly their most well-rounded, as far as covering the spectrums of accessibility, technical chops, & weirdness. I'm not good at comparing releases tho. I like them all fairly equally because of the context they give each other.
    ‘The context they give each other’ is a very good way to put the variety of the output of a long lived, eclectic band.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Fear Draws Misfortune through Putting Off Death is a fantastic three album run for me, that's the high point of what I have. I haven't heard Chicago XX yet and won't until it's available on download or CD. Buying vinyl to get a download makes no sense for me personally.

Thymme didn’t ask my business advice on this one.

Anyway, when you can get it, I think you will find it up there too.

We shall revisit this discussion when you can buy it in the format of your choosing...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This sums up my opinion on it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    So....

I realize that Thymme’s experimental way of releasing “Chicago XX” probably stopped a few potential listeners here from being listeners, but I thought it was a particularly good release.

I liked it more than Fades, and I’ve enjoyed everything they’ve released for at least the last dozen years; I finally came around to Salad Days, so my total winning streak with them starts there, I suppose.

But I thought this new one is extra memorable, and I am happy to have three in three years from them, without the six year (!!!) gap that happened between No Ifs and Putting Off.

Anyone?
    Fades is my favourite C-A this new one did not do much for me on the first listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Donnt know what the new one is like - I tossed vinyl a long time ago. Fades sort of slid by me since I'm on the web sub - a lot of it was in my head already but its nice to hear as an album.

So....

Anyone?
    I think it's a solid album. It fits in with Fear Draws and No ifs, imo. I think anyone that likes those two will dig this one as well.

I finally came around to Salad Days, so my total winning streak with them starts there, I suppose.
    Enduring the American Dream is also phenomenal.

If you havent listened to 'Sever Roots Tree Dies' - you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Enduring the American Dream is also phenomenal.
    I forgot that that one comes before Salad Days, but you are correct. OK! My winning streak starts there!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

We shall revisit this discussion when you can buy it in the format of your choosing...
    Thymme spoke yesterday to his favorite 'pathologically honest ... curmudgeon' (his words).

Cuneiform will release Chicago XX on CD and in digital formats, including BandCamp, sometime in February, if all goes according to plan.

The vinyl will continue to be a Complacency / Cheer-Ax release.

You're welcome.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Thymme spoke yesterday to his favorite 'pathologically honest ... curmudgeon' (his words).

Cuneiform will release Chicago XX on CD and in digital formats, including BandCamp, sometime in February, if all goes according to plan.

The vinyl will continue to be a Complacency / Cheer-Ax release.

You're welcome.
    Shit yeah! THanks for the news Steve.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Shit yeah! THanks for the news Steve.
    glad to hear it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hell yeah!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good news. I have been loaning my girlfriend's vinyl but will surely buy the CD.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have been loaning my girlfriend's vinyl
    Your gf bought the C-A vinyl? Or did you mean her recordplayer?

A former wife of mine used to love C-A, btw - dunno what she listens to these days. Great News about the upcoming Cunei CD, of course - it'll be my 16th C-A album. And I've still got Trading Balloons and Gumballhead to go.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Your gf bought the C-A vinyl? Or did you mean her recordplayer?
    She bought the album. Previous album Fades (which I introduced to her) made her a C-A fan

Congrats to all involved (Steve, band, people, animals, sealife...)
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Previous album Fades made her a C-A fan
    Way to go!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I only have "Fear draws Misfortune" and "Fades".

What are the other must haves from the band?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Check out previous pages of the thread. Lotsa info there. Lotsa lotsa.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I only have "Fear draws Misfortune" and "Fades".

I don't really think "Fades" is as good as their over-all streak streak has been this decade. It's still good, but it's the weakest. IMO.

I would say of the more recent things (last decade) you want all the others you don't have:

Introducing Lemon
    No Ifs, Ands Or Dogs
    Putting Off Death
    Chicago XX

Additionally, I personally am very fond of Sever Roots and Enduring The American Dream.

There's more, but that's enough for now from me.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com