Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: Cheer Accident

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I only have "Fear draws Misfortune" and "Fades".

What are the other must haves from the band?

I usually start with Introducing Lemon (particularly Autumn Wind) to demostrate how impressive and unusual they can be, and to get the whole technical chops thing out of the way.

People often recommend these:
    Fear Draws Misfortue
    No Ifs Ands or Dogs
    Salad Days

Of course, I think they're all great in their own ways. I'd save Gumballhead and Younger Than you Are for last. Otherwise, I'd say it's pretty safe to just work your way back in time from the most recent.

Feeling inspired to give a shot at describing some of their albums...

In general, they all have an element that is difficult to describe or compare to other bands. Hence, the RIO label they are often given. Sometimes, the best I can do is just say it sounds like "CHEER-ACCIDENT".

Life Isn't Like That (Complacency Records, Cassette, 1986) - rare. I've only heard a few songs, but they were solid pop-prog-like with a lo-fi and vintage feel
    Sever Roots, Tree Dies (Complacency Records, LP, 1988, CD Reisssue on Freakshow, 2007) - 80s-sounding reverb on drums. almost a traditional progressive rock album - drums, guitar, bass, piano.
    Vasectomy (Complacency Records, Cassette, 1989) - rare, but thankfully on Bandcamp. solid pop-prog-like with a lo-fi and vintage feel
    Dumb Ask (Complacency Records, 1990. Reissued on Neat Metal and Pravda Records) - driving noise rock with some math. almost grunge. drums, distorted guitar, bass.
    Babies Shouldn't Smoke (Complacency Records, CD, 1991) - experimental pop-noise-prog blend with some Henry Cow-esque moments. plenty of dissonance. lo-fi sounding. drums, guitar, bass, piano.
    The Why Album (Complacency Records, CD, 1994) - I'd say it's almost a normal in-the-box (60s?) pop style album - a collection of songs with words and melodies. mostly sweet and melancholy.
    Not a Food (Pravda Records, CD, 1996) - noise math rock. mostly instrumental. drums, distorted guitar, bass.
    Enduring the American Dream (Pravda Records, CD, 1997) - very weird and experimental, far out, but with some beautiful songs and rocking. a bit lo-fi. variety of textures/instruments.
    Trading Balloons (self-released CD-R, 1999) - one long art oddessy [sic] - alternating soundscapes and repeating riffs.
    Salad Days (Skin Graft Records, CD, 2000) - hard to describe... very CHEER-ACCIDENT. epic deconstructionist "prog" compositions. mostly instrumental with some horns, etc..
    Variations On A Goddamn Old Man (Vol. 1, Pravda Records, CD, 2002) - variety of experiments. some synth riffs. surprisingly accessible at times.
    Introducing Lemon (Skin Graft Records, CD/LP, 2003) - dense and full of creative surprises. a good intro to the band's scope. very CHEER-ACCIDENT.
    Gumballhead the Cat (Skin Graft Records, CD and comic book, 2003) - jammy rock
    Younger Than You Are Now: 1981-1984 (Pravda Records, CD, 2004) - old lo-fi youthful experimentation.
    Variations On A Goddamn Old Man (Vol. 2, Pravda Records, CD, 2005) - variety of experiments. some synth riffs. surprisingly accessible at times.
    What Sequel? (Pravda Records, 2006) - solid pop style. plenty of singing and melody.
    Variations On A Goddamn Old Man (Vol. 2.1, Pro Janitor Records, CD-R, 2007) no idea - I need to look into this.
    Variations On A Goddamn Old Man (Vol. 3, Complacency Records, CD, 2008) - variety of experiments. some synth riffs. surprisingly accessible at times.
    Fear Draws Misfortune (Cuneiform Records, 2009) - tight and creative with a wide variety and instruments. outside-the-box prog. very CHEER-ACCIDENT
    No Ifs Ands Or Dogs (Cuneiform Records, May 2011) - tight and creative with a wide variety and instruments. outside-the-box prog. very CHEER-ACCIDENT
    Putting Off Death (Cuneiform Records, CD/LP, May 2017) - serious somber tone. subtle and creative. plenty of singing and melody. somehow even further into their own style.
    Fades (Skin Graft Records, May 2018) - mostly rocking guitar/vocal songs with surprising and epic moments.
    Chicago XX (Complacency Records, LP, July 2019)- epic songs. bounces between "normalcy" and CHEER-ACCIDENT. plenty of singing and melody.
    Last edited by ergalthema; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:30 PM.

^ ^ ^

I think you did great with the above.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I don't really think "Fades" is as good as their over-all streak streak has been this decade. It's still good, but it's the weakest. IMO.
    Fades is my (and my girlfriend's) favourite C-A album. I think only Fear Draws Misfortune and Putting Off Death come close to its coherence.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Introducing Lemon
    No Ifs, Ands Or Dogs
    Putting Off Death
    These are all excellent
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So my "super top secret" download code (Thymme's words) will soon no longer be top secret.

I'll play this tonite just to exercise my exclusive rights on the record.

Additionally, I personally am very fond of Sever Roots and Enduring The American Dream.
    These two would be my recommendation.

Enduring the American Dream remains their single most overtly farout release, as it basically captures all of their assets in one giant flowing stew; the bizarre whims (on/off-vacuum-cleaner manual drone for opening 8 mins), the nonsensical ideas, the grand tunes of melody and interplay, the introspective piano ballads of Thymme's, the messy riffs, the silliness and serious stuff juxtaposed so as to not being possible to discern.

I still feel extremely sentimental affiliations to it, as it formed the soundtrack to my summer of 2006 when I drowned and was revived while on holiday. This and that second Kayo Dot album and Camofleur by Gastr del Sol.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!

Lots of Money to spend (wich I don't have)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Enduring the American Dream remains their single most overtly farout release, as it basically captures all of their assets in one giant flowing stew; the bizarre whims (on/off-vacuum-cleaner manual drone for opening 8 mins), the nonsensical ideas, the grand tunes of melody and interplay, the introspective piano ballads of Thymme's, the messy riffs, the silliness and serious stuff juxtaposed so as to not being possible to discern.

I still feel extremely sentimental affiliations to it, as it formed the soundtrack to my summer of 2006 when I drowned and was revived while on holiday. This and that second Kayo Dot album and Camofleur by Gastr del Sol.
    You summed up my thoughts on Enduring the American Dream perfectly.

Thymme spoke yesterday to his favorite 'pathologically honest ... curmudgeon' (his words).

Cuneiform will release Chicago XX on CD and in digital formats, including BandCamp, sometime in February, if all goes according to plan.

The vinyl will continue to be a Complacency / Cheer-Ax release.

You're welcome.
    Cool news, Steve. Thanks!