Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Copeland’s Gizmodrome announce debut album

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Plus, the music is way cool.
    The "I've got the keys to your horse" bit is very earwormy. While everyone is complaining about Copeland's singing, I've had King's voice in my head since yesterday afternoon.

Conclusion: everyone is listening wrong.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Same here! Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup, Giddyup!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

The more I listen to this song, the more I love Copeland's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    The more I listen to this song, the more I love Copeland's voice.
    Same here. It's certainly not a bad voice, IMO, just a little bit different. More like talk-singing, sorta like what Zappa did a lot of.

As a big fan of Level 42, it's also really cool to hear Mark King sing and play with those other gents.

Love it! I think Copeland is perfect for this, seriously, he's a total goofball! If Belew or King took lead it would sound like their other bands. This doesn't. I think it was a ballsy move and to me it worked!
    I saw Copeland with a quintet at CWPost in NYC. I always loved his drumming, His Rythmatist is among my most favorite surprise "I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't expect that" albums ever. I own his orchestral pieces when I can find them, and he STILL totally floored me, he's so effing good.

It's been made public. It is superb. And I've only heard the first three minutes so far.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...-album-stream/

“Man in the Mountain”:
    AB: Stewart’s voice: Not for everyone? That’s a shame! I find it to be a huge part of the charm this record exudes. Back home in my own studio I tried to do a vocal to replace Stewart’s and quickly learned how important his personality and delivery is. I love it. For me there is so much to like about this song it feels like each player has immediately found his way to shine. And mark’s “giddy up vocals” say it all.

I actually like some of those projects where the non-singer types handle the lead vocals (think Jeff Beck, or Ginger Baker) this kind of fits in that category. Good times, i dig it.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Drops tomorrow, I'll pick it up at Newbury.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post

This is what they're doing. Sorry if you wanted... y'know what? I don't know what anyone would've expected from this collection of musicians. I didn't know what to expect, and I'm glad I'm getting exactly that: I don't know what.
    DAMN YOU! I caved. It's pretty much what I expected.

Kind of Klark Kentish in the lyrical and vocal department.

I'm glad this has shipped because now I can't wait to dig in. I need to see this live too.

What a glorious trip this is going to be.

I have a feeling this bad is going to be absolutely killer live.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    I have a feeling this bad is going to be absolutely killer live.
    Have you heard anything about them touring?! Id actually be pretty surprised if they did...but there seems to be some chatter from Copeland they'll have Pete Ray Biggin, Level42's drummer on board, and he'll be singing and playing guitar.
    If only it were true, what...a ...band!
    Last edited by gpeccary; 09-16-2017 at 11:49 PM.

I listened through on Spotify and it reminded me of some 80's Zappa in spots: stellar musicians slumming it a bit and just enjoying a groove, with intentionally artless vocals. Of course Adrian Belew is another thing they have in common...

It's strange. Stewart's vox were putting me off at first but yeah, there's a strange earworm going on right now. Great musicians having fun, nothing wrong with that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Why is it Stewart's Gizmodrone? It could just as easily be Belew's Gizmodrone.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    He wrote the songs, no?

The whole project was primarily his baby/brainchild. Why shouldn't it be Stewart's Gizmodrome?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The whole project was primarily his baby/brainchild. Why shouldn't it be Stewart's Gizmodrome?
    Ok, I first learned about this as a Belew post on FB which may have given me a different perspective.

Was never a fan of 80's KC, couldn't take Belew's vocals... but I checked these songs out and wow, I'm digging it. They're undeniably having fun in those studio clips. The keyboard sounds are especially tasty when they come to the fore. I don't mind Stewart's goofy Zappa-like vocals. This is way cool...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I get an XTC vibe in some of the choruses of the songs. Lead vocals will take some getting used to, right now, not sure I will buy, but I continue to stream. Certainly will not miss them live.

The closing instrumental "Stark Naked" is my favorite track. I would love them to lean to the instrumental side, or at least 50/50.
    Last edited by eporter66; 09-18-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Ok, I first learned about this as a Belew post on FB which may have given me a different perspective.
    Oh, gotcha. I can see how that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I get an XTC vibe in some of the choruses of the songs. Lead vocals will take some getting used to, right now, not sure I will buy, but I continue to stream. Certainly will not miss them live.

The closing instrumental "Stark Naked" is my favorite track. I would love them to lean to the instrumental side, or at least 50/50.
    Check upthread, there's an instrumental version of the album.

Listened to this gem at least a dozen times since Friday. Was just listening to it while out getting lunch. It is everything I never knew I wanted an album to be. If you can't get past Copeland's voice, I'm sorry for you. Me? I want him to come to my house and rerecord all the vocals on every album I own.

I hate to compare it to To The Bone - I like TTB and it's still in regular rotation on my iPod - but this album reminded me of how Hand. Cannot. Erase. blew me away.

I'm not crazy about Copeland's voice, but it's not really a deal breaker (I don't really find it Zappa-like). But the lyrics are what annoy me the most. I like what's going on instrumentally.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm not crazy about Copeland's voice, but it's not really a deal breaker (I don't really find it Zappa-like). But the lyrics are what annoy me the most. I like what's going on instrumentally.
    What do you find annoying?