Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ELP Black Moon and In The Hot Seat reissues

Reading around, they used backing tapes for 'Trilogy' and 'Abaddon's Bolero'. There's versions of both on YouTube- the former was a little messy, but if it had had time to 'bed in', maybe it would have gotten better. I think they should have at least done the introductory Emerson/Lake section live more often.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Karn Evil 9 was in its original key on some of those early shows featuring BSS material.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Didn't they only play 1st Impression Part 2 anyway...which was always in the same key as the BSS version?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Reading around, they used backing tapes for 'Trilogy' and 'Abaddon's Bolero'. There's versions of both on YouTube- the former was a little messy, but if it had had time to 'bed in', maybe it would have gotten better. I think they should have at least done the introductory Emerson/Lake section live more often.

Didn't they only play 1st Impression Part 2 anyway...which was always in the same key as the BSS version?
    I have a show from Munich 24 March 1973 with the entire 1st Impression in its original key.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    and now you find yourself in '92 … when ELP premiered their newest single on germany’s best loved and most watched game show … full playback mode, car boot sale props and nifty early90s video fx included:

as for me: i have both albums. they are part of my music collection. that is all.
    Inspiring performance actually. Forgot how good that stuff sounds live. Guess I need to pull out Live at Royal Albert Hall again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed Black Moon quite a bit back then - havent listened in a long time. I really enjoyed the tour (with Bonham!?) and still pull out the Live at the Royal Albert Hall disc quite a bit. I never got In the Hot Seat. I see a lot of ELPowell mention on this thread - I LOVE that album. Where does everyone stand with "3" (aka Emerson, Berry, Palmer)? Where do you rank this among the '80s/'90s ELP work? I like "Desde la Vida" and the "Talkin Bout" single is a guilty pleasure earworm.
    Liked it at the time because that's all there was. Kind of consider it to be Asia-lite I guess. I suppose they about at the level of ELPowell and Black Moon, but I find those two more interesting to listen to these days. Better than In The Hot Seat. Still not sure what possessed them to do that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Lumping Black Moon and In the Hot Seat together is weird to me. To my ears, all the criticism ITHS gets is justified, but I thought Black Moon was great. Maybe I need to listen to it - it's been years.
    I would agree with that assessment. There was a purpose to Black Moon. ELP were back! Still not sure what the point to In The Hot Seat was. Emerson Lake and Palmer were at their best when they weren't compromising and that didn't seem to be the case with In The Hot Seat.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    so supposedly they were going to reissue 17 albums. after this pair they will have done the 11 main albums. then if you consider including works live albert hall and now as three more albums makes 14 what are the final 3?

I am guessing live in Poland, live at high voltage are sure things maybe live at montreux also. I think they should do a disc of tracks that have come out in various places like return of hte manticore etc. also maybe the anthology counts as another.

there are loads of vintage live recordings of course but they do seem to be going in chronological order at this point.
    When they finish how long do you think it will be before they start reissuing again?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    When they finish how long do you think it will be before they start reissuing again?
    its already happening with the new boxset that seemingly includes the albums but no bonus tracks but also a few live shows you don't have elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Three years max. ELP's back catalogue is such a sad joke it's not even funny anymore.

Hopefully, RAH will also get the vinyl treatment. I thought it was a solid live record for its time. ITHS isn't that great but it's got Man in the Long Black Coat and it's about impossible to screw up this latter day Dylan classic. I'm a big Dylan fan and I love that song and I really enjoy ELP's approach to it.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

^Did you hear the Steve Hackett cover of the same song?

I believe Emerson's original plan for this album was a suite based around '...Long Black Coat' and 'One By One' was to have been part of that (they are in the same key). I think the fact that those are two of the only songs worth anything on the album suggests they should have gone in that direction.

As for the RAH live album, it would have to be a double record and I'm not sure the demand is really there to justify that. I'm not sure about the track selection on the CD either...when you are not presenting a full show, I don't think you need to include three songs from a 'new' album, especially when they are pretty much identical to the studio originals. I'd have preferred 'Pictures...' instead of 'Paper Blood' and 'Romeo And Juliet', that's for sure.

I'll have to go listen to Hackett tackle that tune. Was not aware he covered it.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Yet again, not sure this merits another thread but good news, Emerson's long-deleted solo collection Emerson Plays Emerson is getting a re-release:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...50142413d25ff9

It's vaguely related to the thread as the two songs which were not on these reissues- the piano pieces 'Blade Of Grass' and 'Hammer It Out'- are on this Emerson album.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I'll have to go listen to Hackett tackle that tune. Was not aware he covered it.

Bill
    I didn't know that either.

Yet again, not sure this merits another thread but good news, Emerson's long-deleted solo collection Emerson Plays Emerson is getting a re-release:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...50142413d25ff9

It's vaguely related to the thread as the two songs which were not on these reissues- the piano pieces 'Blade Of Grass' and 'Hammer It Out'- are on this Emerson album.
    Good news. Never picked that one up for whatever reason.

What I find annoying about a lot of reissues is that the original album credits are never reproduced. The new Black Moon has minimal credits, both the CD and vinyl editions. The full credits, including instrument listings are nowhere to be seen. That just seems so slap dash! Hugh Gilmour should buck his ideas up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    What I find annoying about a lot of reissues is that the original album credits are never reproduced. The new Black Moon has minimal credits, both the CD and vinyl editions. The full credits, including instrument listings are nowhere to be seen. That just seems so slap dash! Hugh Gilmour should buck his ideas up.
    The compilations are worse with incorrect credits. The latest Anthology compilation credits Emerson as the writer of "Lucky Man". Other songs are also credited to Emerson, whilst removing Lake's credits.

Laura

Watching Manticore Special again, the narrator actually mentions some of the clips are from Verona and Milan, so there we go. Definitely the same shows as will be in the box.

Another thing- what's the 'walk off' music ELP used throughout their career? It's an orchestral piece.

Watching Manticore Special again, the narrator actually mentions some of the clips are from Verona and Milan, so there we go. Definitely the same shows as will be in the box.
    Do those complete shows tapes exist?????

^That's the million dollar question! So far all we know about this box is that a triple record of Verona and Milan will be included...that suggests it will be a collection of two shows. No tracklist as of yet to say either way.

The 'Hoedown' from Milan is on some versions of Trilogy, including mine.

The 'test pressing' versions have already sold out and seemingly went quick.

https://emersonlakeandpalmer.pmstores.co/

Another thing- what's the 'walk off' music ELP used throughout their career? It's an orchestral piece.
    IIRC it was the Prelude from "The Birds" by Respighi.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^I think they used that on something I've heard, but that's not the one. It's some kind of fanfare in E flat, always played after their last number.

I keep bugging them about getting us a tracklisting and about the missing albums on the pledge music page. they say they are bringing it up with BMG so feel free to add voices would be nice if we could convince them to make the box actually complete.

I won't be buying anyway but one would think a complete tracklist isn't much to ask, for something fans are expected to shell out upwards of £150 for.

As for the 1979 BBC special, the Memphis footage was broadcast by the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1979 so that's what that is. I've seen 'Tiger In A Spotlight' (with Emerson mouthing 'Salt Peanuts!' in the bit where he quotes from that) and 'Watching Over You' from this over the years. In fact there's a thread on it!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...979-TV-Special

I won't be buying anyway but one would think a complete tracklist isn't much to ask, for something fans are expected to shell out upwards of £150 for.

As for the 1979 BBC special, the Memphis footage was broadcast by the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1979 so that's what that is. I've seen 'Tiger In A Spotlight' (with Emerson mouthing 'Salt Peanuts!' in the bit where he quotes from that) and 'Watching Over You' from this over the years. In fact there's a thread on it!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...979-TV-Special
    Is that the TV special where the tiger sat on Lake's right foot?

Laura

^No. That's some European TV show. I wonder who the hell had that crazy idea?? The Memphis show was a live performance.

For some reason ELP did a few 'pop' TV shows in the late 70s when they never had before. See them appearing on Top Of The Pops to play 'All I Want Is You'.