Thread: To Life, Death and Beyond - The Music of Magma!

To Life, Death and Beyond - The Music of Magma!

Tonight, I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak look at the brand new Magma documentary, directed by Laurent Goldstein. It is absolutely killer. The focus is on Christian Vander, and I learned a lot of stuff that I did not know, especially about his upbringing and background. The archival footage is great, it is very well edited, and is an obvious labour of love.

Any Magma fan, should be pleased.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...music-of-magma

neil

Does it touch upon the issues discussed at length in the "Jerk" thread over on the Off-Topic forum, i.e. Vander's fascination with the Third Reich?

^ Most obviously not.

An "unauthorized" look onto Magma - (pop-)cultural phenomenon of esoteric proportions in French (plus to some extent European) modern music - would still HAVE to touch upon it. If not more than merely just that - "touch upon" it. Not necessarily by confronting CV about it (this would for natural reasons definitely be to no avail whatsoever), but by analyzing the relevance of the discourse itself by juxtaposing it to the effect and impact of the music. For instance, I'd like to know what on Earth a marxist-culturalist thinker (and prominent avant-garde musician) and theorist such as Chris Cutler would have to say about it, given his apparent admiration for the whole Magma enterprise.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Magic Magma
    Chris Cutler – Sound International magazine May 1979
    http://www.orkalarm.co.uk/?page_id=273
    Not a word about The Third Reich.
    And I dont think Vander has ever mentioned it in any statements or interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Magic Magma
    Unsurprisingly. And yeah, I've read that text before - a more "period piece" article than Cutler's theoretical exercises to follow in his 'File Under Popular' book or his constributions to sympozia, compendia, anthologies etc. right up until today. Typically, given Cutler's usual attention to substance scrutiny and general accountability, there's nothing wrong or even culturally "racey" to be found either. It is all enumerations and statements of plausible interpretation, which is good. However, we all know (i.e. those of us who actually know of Cutler in the first place) that his part-deconstructivist analytical dissections normally wouldn't leave much to imagination, for example in regard to gender expressions in Heavy metal or political economies in marketing strategies of "minority musics" and so on.

Which again only prompts the question as to how he would have approached the discourse in question. Because it's potentially devastating for some of his erstwhile conclusions, and he'd probably be the first to realize this. But then emerges the factor of the "inner" - friendships, bonds and mentalities. Which in turn explains a lot about the nonesaying of both a Cutler and a Stella.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Oh, this will be interesting to see where this goes.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

The smoking gun will soon emerge from its 40-50 years of obscurity, closets will open, the truth will be set free . . .

Magic Magma
    Well there was this paragraph:

"This “seriousness” alienated both the non-progressive and the politically “left” among their audiences – or at least gave them a severe moral headache. Were Magma fascist? Was it true that Christian had learned Hitler’s speeches and sometimes declaimed them in Kobaïan at concerts? Rumour and speculation were rife and these as well as the black clothes, the discipline and the “spiritual radiance” cannot be divorced from their unquestionably progressive cultural position. But this is not the place to discuss such a complex question."
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Well there was this paragraph
    True, but he isn't really documenting anything. Its just like the words at the end of a TV-series episode: "Were Magma fascist? Was it true that Christian had learned Hitler’s speeches and sometimes declaimed them in Kobaïan at concerts?" Dont miss the next episode...
    - and this was in 1979.

Is the movie ready?
    I am one of the kickstarter backers and didnt get any update since February...

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Does it touch upon the issues discussed at length in the "Jerk" thread over on the Off-Topic forum, i.e. Vander's fascination with the Third Reich?
    No,not at all.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Is the movie ready?
    I am one of the kickstarter backers and didnt get any update since February...
    It's very, very close. Just another pass of audio balancing, but everything else is done, I believe.

neil

Also of possible interest to fans, a couple of things Laurent mentioned: James Mac Gaw, is doing much better and the rift between Christian Vander and Emmanuel Borghi is slowly being repaired.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Also of possible interest to fans, a couple of things Laurent mentioned: James Mac Gaw, is doing much better and the rift between Christian Vander and Emmanuel Borghi is slowly being repaired.

neil
    That is excellent news, especially the MacGaw update.
    PS I really like his Seven Indies album.

Laurent says that the DVDs are being manufactured next week!

neil

True, but he isn't really documenting anything. Its just like the words at the end of a TV-series episode: "Were Magma fascist? Was it true that Christian had learned Hitler’s speeches and sometimes declaimed them in Kobaïan at concerts?" Dont miss the next episode...
    ...same Magma-time, same Magma-channel!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Not all that long ago James was present at a Magma show, completely bald, of course, but otherwise looking better than I expected. I would love nothing more that to see him play again- every time I see his utterly crazed solo in the latest DVD- Ementeht-Re- in Kohntarkosz it brings tears to my eyes, since that was nearly the last time he played with the band and the solo is completely lunatic and grand.

Goldstein.

Goldstein?

Uh-oh! Est-il juif?

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Goldstein.

Goldstein?

Uh-oh! Est-il juif?
    It can be a case of a self hating jew

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hating_Jew

Let's not go there, okay? There is no answer, and no proof, and sufficient members of my faith have played in the band over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Let's not go there, okay? There is no answer, and no proof, and sufficient members of my faith have played in the band over the years.
    You are right Dana. It makes no sense to discuss this once again.