Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 390

Thread: Eddie Jobson Tour!

  1. #51
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Eddie just posted the following on Facebook........

    I think this will be my strongest solo/U-Z Project tour to date; the first-time-ever performances of the 'Green Album' material are worth the price of admission alone,
    Eddie
    I think he missed the IMHO.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  2. #52
    Chronic Overspender zombywoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Posts
    339
    Sounds really interesting.
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

    colouratura.bandcamp.com

  3. #53
    That's pretty damn cool. I'll see UK on the Cruise and I may still have to go see this too...

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    0
    I gotta admit...if he's playing some of the Green Album..then it truely is worth $75.

  5. #55
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,596
    If this was anywhere near me, I would definitely go.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  6. #56
    I'll probably pass on this, as I did the Steve Wilson tour. Seen them 2-3 times in the past 2-3 years. A fan, yes, but just don't feel the need to go again and again...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

  7. #57
    Member LColacionHayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    coastal Los Angeles
    Posts
    0
    Wow … you guys are amazing -- why even post if you so dislike these musicians (I just read the Minnemann versus Wackerman; and the Glass Hammer threads, and now this one)?!? There is always some serious sniveling taking place here on PE … it feels as if many are here more for the smack-downs than the music. If someone isn’t blathering on about one drummer’s chops over another (when both are stellar), or trying to tease out possible conspiracy theories behind a band’s every move, then you’re pontificating over the audacity of a veteran musician’s supposed lack of financial acumen. Gouging his fan base … seriously?!

    Andre’s comments were spot-on, but that’s because he knows what it takes financially and logistically, to tour. An area that many here do not seem to fully grasp.

    I used to work in the record industry (way … back in the day) where I was a publicist, and my significant-other was a lighting designer/tour manager. The record companies were flush, and they tossed obscene amounts of money at anyone who could play a few chords and looked cool on stage. These large entertainment corporations (most of which are now gone) subsidized concerts. Then, corporate sponsors came along and wanted to be affiliated with whatever hot act was touring (to benefit their own interests). Through those years, it had rarely been about the quality of the music, but rather about the number of seats filled with bodies who will see “product” (whether it be the sales of the music itself, or a beverage item), which they will, hopefully, purchase. Now that the industry has so completely changed -- so too, have the business models employed by working musicians. Quite simply, quality music and performance is going to cost more since the subsidies have dried up. We, as consumers need to determine what is important to us, and within our respective budgets. Personally, I would rather spend more money to attend one concert where I know that the act will deliver quality, over a quantity of less costly “meh” … performances. Do you also enter Rolls Royce, or other luxury car showrooms, and complain about the prices there too?

    I actually quit going to concerts many years ago because it was such a disappointment to attend a show where a favorite musician just plain ... sucked; it was a waste of money, and of my time. Then, in 2009 a friend asked me to accompany her to see her favorite musician who was returning to the stage after a very long hiatus. I took a trip to NYC (where I had never before been), met up with my friend, and some of her other friends, and was completely blown away by the concert. So, yeah … when Eddie Jobson tours, I will always try to attend a show (or more than one in a tour) because I’ve never witnessed a poor performance from him. I look forward to seeing what his revolving slate of musicians will bring to his compositions. And, I enjoy watching the connections between him and his fans -- something I had never witnessed in my years in the industry (or growing up in L.A.).

    Oh, and Ian … nah … he didn’t miss the IMHO in his Facebook post -- at least not to me, and a whole lot of other folks. Join us! Or not.

    LC
    Last edited by LColacionHayes; 02-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.

  8. #58
    In case anyone missed the following anouncement. BTW, ticket prices are reasonable given the amount of talent involved. Eddie is a real professional and fans will get their money's worth. Let's support these artists.

    EDDIE JOBSON - Four Decade World Tour, featuring the music of Roxy Music, Frank Zappa, Curved Air, UK and more.
    FMPM is honored to welcome back EDDIE JOBSON, Saturday April 27, 2012 at the intimate 400-seat Gesù amphitheater. Following a sold-out appearance in 2012 with progressive rock super-group UK, keyboardist and violinist maestro EDDIE JOBSON will take fans on a musical journey spanning his diverse 40-year career featuring the music of Roxy Music, Frank Zappa, Curved Air, UK, UKZ and more including never before played solo material. JOBSON will be joined by an all-star cast of internationally renowned musicians including bassist/vocalist Marc BONILLA (Keith Emerson Band), keyboardist Billy SHERWOOD (Yes), guitarist Alex MACHAREK (UKZ) and drummer Virgil DONATI (Planet . After a stint with Curved Air, JOBSON was signed as a teenage rock prodigy by Warner Bros. as a keyboardist and rock violinist on three Roxy Music albums, and then replaced George Duke and Jean-Luc Ponty in Frank Zappa’s Mothers of Invention. By the late 1970’s he went on to found super-group UK with bassist/vocalist John Wetton. JOBSON has contributed to more than 60 albums and dozens of videos, and also performed with King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Phil Collins and Yes.
    A limited number of Regular tickets ($65.23 plus taxes & fees) and VIP tickets ($95 plus taxes & fees) are available in the first few rows center section. VIP package includes pre-show Master Class and post-show meet & greet available exclusively at www.progquebec.com.

  9. #59
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,840
    This place would be pretty boring if it was a lovefest for everything, I think most of the criticism in this thread has been pretty civil.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    0
    wow, somehow I missed that Sherwood was involved. Very cool. Bonilla is awesome too- seen him with Danny Seraphine several times over the last few years.

  11. #61
    Member LColacionHayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    coastal Los Angeles
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This place would be pretty boring if it was a lovefest for everything, I think most of the criticism in this thread has been pretty civil.
    Oh, I agree that kumbaya would be a yawn! But, smarmy criticism isn't constructive for anyone, or even enjoyable as good arguments can often be. So many here act as if they have some kind of "inside track" as to how Eddie, or any other musician/promoter/management operates or thinks. That the theories tossed about are somehow based in fact, when in actuality, they are usually nothing more than mental flatulence.

    Piffle away, gents! Or, locate your nearest concert, and see for yourself what a phenomenal performance Eddie puts forth. Heck ... I might even buy you a drink if you're at one of the west coast shows that I attend!


    LC

  12. #62
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by LColacionHayes View Post
    Or, locate your nearest concert, and see for yourself what a phenomenal performance Eddie puts forth.
    Well I've seen him twice at NF and that's enough for me, I'd go again if the tickets were reasonable as I enjoyed both sets well enough, but not for that price.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by LColacionHayes View Post
    Oh, I agree that kumbaya would be a yawn! But, smarmy criticism isn't constructive for anyone, or even enjoyable as good arguments can often be. So many here act as if they have some kind of "inside track" as to how Eddie, or any other musician/promoter/management operates or thinks. That the theories tossed about are somehow based in fact, when in actuality, they are usually nothing more than mental flatulence.

    Piffle away, gents! Or, locate your nearest concert, and see for yourself what a phenomenal performance Eddie puts forth. Heck ... I might even buy you a drink if you're at one of the west coast shows that I attend!


    LC
    Lenore:

    I agree with Ian that most of the criticism has been pretty civil. It also appears that most of the folks on this thread are Jobson fans and have attended previous shows, but are balking at repeating due to the higher than normal ticket prices. Nobody is disputing that Jobson puts a great show, the issue is that the prices are substantially much higher than other talented acts at the same or smaller venues. In your neck of the woods, The Baked Potato, Bozzio and Machacek have played a few times in recent months and charged about half of the ticket price of the Jobson show in the same area on a smaller club. Not too long ago at The Iridium in NYC, Bozzio, Machacek and Lunn played for less than half of the ticket prices Jobson is charging. These guys have played with Jobson and they don't play for peanuts. I don't think they have promoters or record companies financing their tours either.

    Regarding the tone of this board, sometimes it could be brutal and outlandish, but there is also a lot of good information being exchanged. You could always ignore certain folks or threads if it bothers you that much. I rather have it that way than a place where the only thing you are allowed to post is praise for the artist.

    José

  14. #64
    Sherwood on keyboards???
    Jeebus.

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    Sherwood on keyboards???
    Jeebus.
    That's an error by the venue. Sherwood is on bass and vocals.

    Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Lenore:

    <snip> The Baked Potato, Bozzio and Machacek have played a few times in recent months and charged about half of the ticket price of the Jobson show in the same area on a smaller club. Not too long ago at The Iridium in NYC, Bozzio, Machacek and Lunn played for less than half of the ticket prices Jobson is charging. These guys have played with Jobson and they don't play for peanuts. I don't think they have promoters or record companies financing their tours either.

    Regarding the tone of this board, sometimes it could be brutal and outlandish, but there is also a lot of good information being exchanged. You could always ignore certain folks or threads if it bothers you that much. I rather have it that way than a place where the only thing you are allowed to post is praise for the artist.

    José
    Do some math tho. Jeez. The Baked Potato is a DRIVE AWAY for Alex and Terry...of course they'll do it for way less money. You'll compare the production values at the tiny Potato with a full-on show with lights and 3-4 person technical crew etc ?? Even when Eddie has done LA area shows...he has had to rent the place!! Then pay for sound crew, lights etc.

    If he saved that money, had the "in house" guy do sound (which believe me he's tried)..they fuck it up!!! It's not a basic rock band!! Likewise the lights etc -- and everyone would complain about the poor sound (which I know..has happened anyway at times)

    The Iridium is also a small jazz club, no light show, and certainly charges a ton at the end of your night once the drinks and food are added in. So it's not that people DON'T want to spend the money. I get that the tickets are perhaps $20 off...but when you calculate the rarity of his touring, it adds up. I also think Bozzio adjusts his rate when the tour isn't a crazy, historic, decades-in-the-waiting REUNION.

    You really gonna compare the fee that Terry Bozzio expects when he's...at the Potato or the Iridium...vs what he expects DOING A UK REUNION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THIRTY YEARS??

    It's no problem -- Don't go to these shows!! I don't get what the big deal is...Just pass on the tour -- others will go.

    I've said before - Eddie could surely do some things differently, and for sure he has learned a TON about what the market will bear in the 4+ years of getting back to public performance, since Kazan, Tatarstan.

    It's also funny -- here's a living example of the paradigm of where things are headed in the 21st century -- paying artists MORE for performance, as they evolve to releasing a lot of their material as streaming or "free" downloads. I know Eddie has not done much in this direction but it;s inevitable that he gets that reality as well, he certainly is aware of all the options out there today.

    So-- a real chance to GUARANTEE that the artist is getting MORE of the actual money you spend, and there are no corporate sponsors helping to keep the price low ( I say that because people keep comparing him to big arena shows where beer companies or whatever are part of what pays for the production.)


    The guy's not perfect. How many times can I say it?

    But...Life is so fucking short. Either go ....or don't go. Not a big deal. Everyone is ready to tout capitalism...well here it is!!! He's offering a product, you can expend energy bitching and moaning...or you can just shrug and spend the time doing something else. But capitalism means you will decline to spend on certain things -- here's your chance!!

  17. #67
    FWIW, if he were playing in my hometown of Melbourne, Aus I would go for any price up to $200.
    More for the chance to chat.
    PS
    My neighbour paid $2000 do be in the front row to see BonJovi twice...

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    Do some math tho. Jeez. The Baked Potato is a DRIVE AWAY for Alex and Terry...of course they'll do it for way less money. You'll compare the production values at the tiny Potato with a full-on show with lights and 3-4 person technical crew etc ?? Even when Eddie has done LA area shows...he has had to rent the place!! Then pay for sound crew, lights etc.
    I am under the impression that Jobson also lives in the LA area. Does Jobson lowers the ticket prices when he plays in LA because it is a "DRIVE AWAY"? Are you implying that Bozzio and Machacek do not have to pay for the venues and/or crews?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    The Iridium is also a small jazz club, no light show, and certainly charges a ton at the end of your night once the drinks and food are added in. So it's not that people DON'T want to spend the money. I get that the tickets are perhaps $20 off...but when you calculate the rarity of his touring, it adds up. I also think Bozzio adjusts his rate when the tour isn't a crazy, historic, decades-in-the-waiting REUNION.

    You really gonna compare the fee that Terry Bozzio expects when he's...at the Potato or the Iridium...vs what he expects DOING A UK REUNION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THIRTY YEARS??
    Last time I went to the Iridium the cover charge was either two drinks or $15. Similar to the one at the Highline Ballroom ($10) and The Baked Potato ($7).

    Considering that Jobson has toured almost every year since 2009 and the last tour was just under a year ago, the rarity factor is not the same as it was in 2009 or 2010. Ticket sales might suffer because of proximity of the last tour combined with the higher than average price. Loss of ticket sales will affect Jobson's bottom line since he will lose on merchandise sales and potential new memberships to his ZL.

    I am under the impression that the fee Bozzio received for the UK tour last year had to do more on what Jobson offered him than what Bozzio usually asks for a gig. Sort of like The Godfather, Jobson made Bozzio "an offer he could not refuse". The fact that part of the tour was in Japan made it even more enticing to Bozzio since his wife is Japanese. You better than most of the people out there know that Bozzio did not have that much interest in returning to play with UK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    It's no problem -- Don't go to these shows!! I don't get what the big deal is...Just pass on the tour -- others will go.
    It might be a problem for Jobson if enough fans decide to stay home. I might skip this time around even though I have attended to eight of his shows since 2009, have a ZL subscription and have purchased pretty much every single version of his solo work and UK on vinyl and CD. I am not just a casual fan. Many other Jobson fans are still debating on going or not for this round of shows. This is not the first time or only site where the issue of the high ticket prices for Jobson shows has been brought. The tone here, in most cases, has been extremely polite compared to what you can read on other sites. The complaints about the ticket prices are fair and some feedback that Jobson should take into consideration, especially if he has low attendance in the upcoming tour. Jobson cannot just count on what is posted on his forum because everything there is looked with pink colored sunglasses. It would be very misleading for Jobson to believe that the reason for poor attendance was for lack of interest from his fans instead of high ticket prices. I hope that I am wrong for Jobson's sake, but I am under the impression that he might not be selling out as many shows as he did on the last tour.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    I've said before - Eddie could surely do some things differently, and for sure he has learned a TON about what the market will bear in the 4+ years of getting back to public performance, since Kazan, Tatarstan.

    It's also funny -- here's a living example of the paradigm of where things are headed in the 21st century -- paying artists MORE for performance, as they evolve to releasing a lot of their material as streaming or "free" downloads. I know Eddie has not done much in this direction but it;s inevitable that he gets that reality as well, he certainly is aware of all the options out there today.

    So-- a real chance to GUARANTEE that the artist is getting MORE of the actual money you spend, and there are no corporate sponsors helping to keep the price low ( I say that because people keep comparing him to big arena shows where beer companies or whatever are part of what pays for the production.)
    I don't have a problem that the artist is getting a bigger piece of the pie. That is the way it should be. You keep bringing the issue that Jobson does not have sponsors and/or companies helping him to foot the production costs. That is very true, but on the flip side those production companies and/or sponsors take a chunk of the artist take. With less people taking their cuts between the artist and the fan, it makes it harder to justify the higher than average ticket price.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    The guy's not perfect. How many times can I say it?
    No one has stated or expected perfection from Jobson. Not sure why you point this out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    But...Life is so fucking short. Either go ....or don't go. Not a big deal. Everyone is ready to tout capitalism...well here it is!!! He's offering a product, you can expend energy bitching and moaning...or you can just shrug and spend the time doing something else. But capitalism means you will decline to spend on certain things -- here's your chance!!
    As I stated before, this is valid feedback from Jobson fans that could be very useful to him. Unfortunately this kind of feedback is not tolerated on his forum.

  19. #69
    Yes. No disrespect to Mr. Jobson.... he came only once to Chicago with the UK Reunion tour, and being a long-time fan I certainly wanted to see him/them. But the ticket price was much too high ($85 and up), so I passed. Interestingly enough, the night prior to the UK show, John Wetton took the time to appear live with District 97 and do a couple Crimson tunes. I saw that... $10. Just sayin'...

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I am under the impression that Jobson also lives in the LA area. Does Jobson lowers the ticket prices when he plays in LA because it is a "DRIVE AWAY"? Are you implying that Bozzio and Machacek do not have to pay for the venues and/or crews?
    I'm not at all implying that. They may or may not pay for crew. I'm sure Alex just drives in with his little amp, or maybe just his little rack and uses a house amp. Like many guys of his stature, Bozzio probably has someone who helps out at gigs like this for a small fee , or lessons, or some combo of the that, etc. It's incomparable to what you pay a guy on tour (hotel /per diem etc)

    As far as the VENUE: In fact I'll state as a fact that, no, not Bozzio, Alex M, nor ANYONE, normally "rents" the Baked Potato. I am sure one CAN rent it, but at a place like that , like most places, you call up/email/stop in and book a gig, for an agreed upon ticket price/cut of door etc. YOU DON'T HIRE SOUND & LIGHT STAFF, OR BRING IN EXPENSIVE RENTED LIGHTS ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT'S IN THE HOUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    As I stated before, this is valid feedback from Jobson fans that could be very useful to him. Unfortunately this kind of feedback is not tolerated on his forum.
    Well it's tolerated here . I don't know what else you want me to do. I'm simply responding to your charges towards EJ, you can accept them or disagree.

    All the best


    And - to the person saying they only paid $10 to see John Wetton... I guess I need to point out that IT WAS FOR ONE SONG????


    these are all reasons I stay off of forums.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    I'm not at all implying that. They may or may not pay for crew. I'm sure Alex just drives in with his little amp, or maybe just his little rack and uses a house amp. Like many guys of his stature, Bozzio probably has someone who helps out at gigs like this for a small fee , or lessons, or some combo of the that, etc. It's incomparable to what you pay a guy on tour (hotel /per diem etc)

    As far as the VENUE: In fact I'll state as a fact that, no, not Bozzio, Alex M, nor ANYONE, normally "rents" the Baked Potato. I am sure one CAN rent it, but at a place like that , like most places, you call up/email/stop in and book a gig, for an agreed upon ticket price/cut of door etc. YOU DON'T HIRE SOUND & LIGHT STAFF, OR BRING IN EXPENSIVE RENTED LIGHTS ABOVE AND BEYOND WHAT'S IN THE HOUSE
    Not sure on the details of Machacek's rig, but I recall that Bozzio's big rig was designed to be split into two or three wheeled pieces that could be moved by one person from an U-Haul's ramp to the venue stage and back. It was designed that way so Bozzio would not require a roadie for setting the rig between clinics or gigs. I would be surprised if his smaller rig do not have a similar design.

    Bozzio and Machacek might not be "renting" the Baked Potato, paying for a guy on tour (hotel /per diem), or hiring a sound and light crew, but based on the ticket price there I am under the impression that their individual take at the end of the show at The Baked Potato is way much lower than Jobson's take on this tour even after taking all the expenses from the venue rental, road crew and other tour expenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    I don't know what else you want me to do. I'm simply responding to your charges towards EJ, you can accept them or disagree.
    I don't expect you to do anything. I am just responding to your comments since you replied to mine. I appreciate the time taken to reply and value the input since you have a different perspective and some valid points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    And - to the person saying they only paid $10 to see John Wetton... I guess I need to point out that IT WAS FOR ONE SONG????
    It was actually two songs that Wetton sang with District 97 on a show two nights before UK's gig in Chicago. District 97's "The Perfect Young Man" and King Crimson's "Lament".

  22. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bucks County PA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    these are all reasons I stay off of forums.
    i don't blame you. Don't waste your time trying to defend the tour to someone who thinks they know better. It's a no-win situation.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post
    And - to the person saying they only paid $10 to see John Wetton... I guess I need to point out that IT WAS FOR ONE SONG???? these are all reasons I stay off of forums.
    Well, 2 songs... but I didn't pay $10 to see John Wetton, he was really "free" because everyone paid to see District 97, not really John Wetton. The point is the irony of what a "prog-scene" show costs these days. Somewhere in the middle of $10 and $85 would serve EJ well. And this is why you stay off forums? I only stay off forums that won't allow posts like this....

  24. #74
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,596
    Not trying to be a smartass or sound like Daddy Warbucks, but...If the $75 ticket price is really that big of an issue for anyone, maybe they shouldn't be contemplating going in the first place. (As their priorities maybe should be elsewhere?) Just a thought.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Well, 2 songs... but I didn't pay $10 to see John Wetton, he was really "free" because everyone paid to see District 97, not really John Wetton. The point is the irony of what a "prog-scene" show costs these days. Somewhere in the middle of $10 and $85 would serve EJ well. And this is why you stay off forums? I only stay off forums that won't allow posts like this....

    OK, it was two songs. Now it's totally comparable!!

    And yes, I get your ironic point. As to my comment about staying off forums -- who's missing the irony now??

    I stay off for a myriad of reasons, some of which others including Lenore & moecurlythanu nailed nicely.

    Also because these kinda debates will go around and around and around. When, we die and it doesn't matter, this piddly shit

    People are starving and walking five miles for fucking water, I just can't spend time gazing at my navel over who deserves $47, maybe $57 but then $75 a ripoff.

    But maybe if the show is 2 hrs plus. Oh wait but maybe 90 mins if he charges less?

    Everyone -- enjoy your weekend and hopefully music is the focus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •