Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddie Jobson Tour!

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I was at the 2009 Town Hall show and that show was nowhere near to full. Not being able to sell out a show in NYC on a Saturday night can't be good news for any performer, especially when there is a huge interest in seeing him play after a three decade hiatus. I am not a 100% sure, but I am almost certain that he did not sell out the BB Kings show a few months later either even though the tickets were less than half of the price of the Town Hall show and the venue is about half of the size of the Town Hall.
    I think this is both partly a product of the economy in general but more specifically that NYC, born and bred and I still love it, S-U-C-K-S'sssssssss for its lack of ssssssssupport for progressive music in general, there have been some fine progressive acts that has rolled thru this city and have gotten absolute bumpkus in attendance. Into the equation comes a lot of variables into play inclusive of cost to play this city, among the highest in the world, lack of truly suitable veneues for said acts and, and perhaps reality, that my beloved city has a severe lack of prog heads as opposed to the millions that live here. And I, unfortunately, believe that to be true that we lovers of progressive rock are very few and far between in this Big Apple of a city. I'll probably start a thread on that very subject, a general poll of how many really live in the NYC area but that's my .02 cents worth on specifically the 2009 NYC/Town Hall gig...

...of which I, too, was in attendance and was far from sold out. Sean brings out a good point, he has the creme of the genre playing with him and I, too, wonder how much it takes to pay a band/band's which plays/has played with him, not that it is any business of mine.

Peace,
    Alex

Money is very tight for me, but there is no debate to spend a night with musicians of this caliber is well worth the ticket price. And to hear portions of the Green album is priceless.

Does that mean The Green Album selections will be played on the cruise? "Cuz I'll poop on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Does that mean The Green Album selections will be played on the cruise? "Cuz I'll poop on myself.
    Jobson might play bits of The Green Album, Theme Of Secrets and Piano One during his keyboard and violin solo like he did on the past UK tour, but the cruise is being advertised as a UK show and not as an Eddie Jobson show. I do not think you will need to pack the Depends for the cruise.

Ah well... I occasionally pull out Prelude for a piano solo myself but I don't think I'll be doing that when he's around *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    Isn't it the promoter(s) that determine the price? If Jobson and his band gets $x to perform, the promoter is on the hook for paying $x (along with other costs). Since the promoter (allegedly) knows what the local market will bear, he sets the price $y where he can maximize revenue. In other words, I wouldn't place all the blame for high ticket prices on EJ.
    You are right that the promoter sets the final ticket price, but that price depends on whatever number Jobson gives to the promoter. As many others have pointed out, ticket prices on any of the Jobson shows he has done since his return to the stage in 2009 have been substantially higher than other acts on the same venue. There has been shows with some of the players from UKZ, UZ Project and UK, that have been a fraction of the ticket price of Jobson shows. I am a fan of Jobson and have gone to a lot of the shows since 2009, but I am fairly certain that Jobson is the one driving the ticket prices into that stratosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    I think this is both partly a product of the economy in general but more specifically that NYC, born and bred and I still love it, S-U-C-K-S'sssssssss for its lack of ssssssssupport for progressive music in general, there have been some fine progressive acts that has rolled thru this city and have gotten absolute bumpkus in attendance. Into the equation comes a lot of variables into play inclusive of cost to play this city, among the highest in the world, lack of truly suitable veneues for said acts and, and perhaps reality, that my beloved city has a severe lack of prog heads as opposed to the millions that live here. And I, unfortunately, believe that to be true that we lovers of progressive rock are very few and far between in this Big Apple of a city. I'll probably start a thread on that very subject, a general poll of how many really live in the NYC area but that's my .02 cents worth on specifically the 2009 NYC/Town Hall gig...

...of which I, too, was in attendance and was far from sold out. Sean brings out a good point, he has the creme of the genre playing with him and I, too, wonder how much it takes to pay a band/band's which plays/has played with him, not that it is any business of mine.

Peace,
    Alex
    Although you might have a point regarding the economy and the lack of local support for progressive rock shows, I will counter that with the fact that there is a huge population outside NYC that will do the trek to the city and see the shows. My main point was that there is a huge pool of fans to pick from if you are going to have a show in NYC, that is not the case with other cities. If you can't get a decent crowd for a show in NYC, chances are you will have a harder time to fill a venue in other places. Even worst if that show in NYC was on a Friday or Saturday.

FWIW, the pricing of the UK shows last year was also about the same as the other North American cities, so the cost of playing in NYC does not come into play for the high prices on other cities. Regarding ticket pricing, on the BB Kings show Jobson had Minneman, Trey Gunn and Simon Phillips and that show was still less than half of what was charged a the Town Hall gig, but still higher than other acts playing at BB Kings. A 2011 show with Bozzio and Machacek at the Iridium was substantially cheaper than the UK show at the Highline Ballroom, even though the Iridium is a smaller venue.

Regarding suitable venues, I am not sure that I will agree with that. Even though my favorite venue in NYC was closed about a decade ago (The Bottom Line), there are still plenty of suitable venues in the city. I can't think of any other city with more venues than NYC.
    Last edited by enpdllp; 02-15-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo

Ticket prices for many shows have been obscene for years now. I take the plunge when it is a band I feel I absolutely must see, as in Return To Forever or The Who
    show I just saw Friday, which was a crazy price, but it was an amazing concert. Thankfully, most fusion shows are not very expensive. The recent show at The Starry Plough in Berkeley was $10 and terrific. The Aristocrats played in SF the same night as The Who (saw them last year) and it couldn't have cost more than $35. I saw Machacek with Kai Eckhardt and Marco Minneman in SF some years ago open for Garaj Mahal for less than that as I recall. Maybe Barbra Streisand will be a special guest with Eddie's band.

Maybe I'm spoiled from seeing so many shows but I'm passing on this one. The ticket price is most of the reason keeping me away. However, I never concern myself with how much is being charged in relation to if it's reasonable or not. Bottom line is, that's the price. That's not my call to make.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I think Jobson opened himself up to comments on if what he was asking for tickets was reasonable when he started charging for access to the Zealot's Lounge. Charging for downloads is one thing but charging for his written content is pretty unreasonable and works against him IMO.

anyone going to the uk show pm me please i need a ride will pay for gas the Atlanta show

Giving the Green Album a spin. Can't wait!

Way too expensive for me - I saw him at NEARFest with Wetton - dont need to see him again at that price. Standard price where he is playing in my area would be anywhere from $35 - $60, and he is playing a great venue, but I think it will be 2/3 empty at that price. Sorry - just ridiculous.

I'm still on the fence. But it looks like I have some time still to mull it over. As of today, the World Cafe Live in Philly is only showing 38 seats as being sold. Virtually all of the front table seating is available and most of the rest of the venue's seating is untouched. I wonder if this show would get bumped to a smaller venue like what happened to Tangerine Dream a few months back.

I'm in. I don't think at all that it is Eddie's intent is to gouge the fans. I think he has to charge a bit more to ensure he doesn't lose his shirt on the tour. I have seen Eddie live several times in recent years and regardless of it is UK, UKZ or Eddie, the shows have all been great. I am sure he is aware of the fact that he may draw less without Wetton and Bozzio. I am glad to pay for these shows as Eddie still plays with energy and enthusiasm. Sadly, I wouldn't pay this much to see YES go through the motions these days, but Eddie and band, definitely. Gotta support the cause for entertainment sake and because I want to do my part to keep these shows going.

It's a balancing act- you have to work out, will you do better getting 100 people @ $75 or could you draw 400 @ $25? What if you charge the $25 and only 100 show up anyway? Eddie's been around the block a few times, hopefully he knows what kind of a draw he should be and what kind of prices he can get away with to make the events worthwhile.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I'm still on the fence. But it looks like I have some time still to mull it over. As of today, the World Cafe Live in Philly is only showing 38 seats as being sold. Virtually all of the front table seating is available and most of the rest of the venue's seating is untouched. I wonder if this show would get bumped to a smaller venue like what happened to Tangerine Dream a few months back.
    wow that is weird, Didn't UK sell out of there a few months back? Perhaps speaks to the drawing power of "John Wetton" or the name "UK". Also...where did that T. Dream show get moved to?

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    wow that is weird, Didn't UK sell out of there a few months back? Perhaps speaks to the drawing power of "John Wetton" or the name "UK". Also...where did that T. Dream show get moved to?
    The Tangerine Dream show was moved from the Electric Factory to a smaller place called Underground Arts on Callowhill St.

How Eddie came up with $74.50 as a ticket price I suppose isnt really our business. But I do know that within the last month I paid less than $50 for a Steve Hackett ticket and less than $50 for a Steven Wilson ticket. I'm sure everyone's finances are different, but it does give one pause. I may still go...I'm a huge fan of his music and the allure of hearing him play much of the Green Album is certainly enticing and I have no doubt that the show will be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    wow that is weird, Didn't UK sell out of there a few months back?
    The Philly show and half of the North American dates from last year sold out (Eight out of fourteen).

FWIW, out of the four shows Jobson has done in NYC since 2009 two have been with Wetton and both shows sold out. The other two Jobson shows in NYC, UKZ and UZ Project, did not sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I was at the 2009 Town Hall show and that show was nowhere near to full. Not being able to sell out a show in NYC on a Saturday night can't be good news for any performer, especially when there is a huge interest in seeing him play after a three decade hiatus. I am not a 100% sure, but I am almost certain that he did not sell out the BB Kings show a few months later either even though the tickets were less than half of the price of the Town Hall show and the venue is about half of the size of the Town Hall.
    The Town Hall had other challenges: a cold night in January (always a tough sell month for NYC shows of any type), low advertising, and it was the FIRST show back, so there was a lot more uncertainty ("How's EJ gonna sound"?? "Who's Marco Minnemann and Alex Macachek?" "Who's this singer"? "What's the setlist?"). That show was also ENTIRELY produced by Eddie, not a promoter, so the costs were prohibitive, hence the high ticket cost (and most the highest tix sold out, so cost wasn't the real obstacle).

BB King's was August, 7 months later, actually, and did very well. It wasn't sold out, no, but great for that room.

This is surely quite an expensive production, with the lineup of people and no record company or funding agency investing in it. We can debate all day if he should go out with 3 unknown (or lesser known) guys, charge less, then have people complain anyway about the band "not having any heavy hitters". I'd guarantee those complaints would exist in spades.

Hopefully you find it worthwhile and go, if, not, that's capitalism and commerce.

Andre,
    Will you be working this tour??? Im going to the Philly show.....

OK...I bit the bullet and got tix for the ATL show.

Regarding the question of is EJ gouging his fans or not: I think he is but it's up to him to weigh the risk -vs- reward as to determine a pricing level that can maximize his profit. $75 is steep but in the long-run, I'd regret it if I passed on it.

The thing about the $75 ticket price is this: I will still go to the show at The World Cafe as I'm a huge fan, however, I will not be able to convince any of my friends to attend with me as the price is too high for their casual enjoyment of this style of music. If the price was under $50, I'm sure I could convince a friend or two to go, or I'd even be willing to spring for extra tickets as I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    His band might not be cheap but I'm sure the Return to Forever band wasn't cheap either and I don't think tix at the Beacon Theater were this expensive.
    For sure - that's a very good point. All I can offer is that everyone in RTF has been touring straight thru , for the years 1981-2009, so they have massive ticket sales penetration in most markets. They also have a long string of releases, generating various streams of income. Eddie is doing something no one I can think of has ever, which is to re-start a live touring career after a LOT of time off.

Could tickets be less? Could stuff be done differently? I'm sure. But it is what it is and this is how he's choosing to build his business model. Choose.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Andre,
    Will you be working this tour??? Im going to the Philly show.....
    Sorry to say I won't. EJ and I had a conversation, but I'll be busy working for Greg Lake on the March 20-25 Moodys/Little River/Asia2 cruise. As much as I'd love to work or attend even , the other cruise overlaps with my duties wrapping up our run. Enjoy, and see some of you at the ATL show!!

Eddie just posted the following on Facebook........

Hi everyone, and thanks for your continued support on this page, the Zealots Lounge, and elsewhere. This is my first ever post on Facebook. I wanted to express my excitement for the upcoming "Four Decades" tour, which is coming together really well. I think this will be my strongest solo/U-Z Project tour to date; the first-time-ever performances of the 'Green Album' material are worth the price of admission alone, and the band is incredible. There will be tracks from Curved Air, Roxy Music, and Zappa; Theme of Secrets; Radiation; U.K. and more, a full 40 years of recording squeezed into 2 hours.

The Master Class will explain some of the background about my 50 years of compositions, and about understanding music in general - what it is, why it works, and why my fan-base in particular is unified as a community.

I am also planning to add video and lighting to the show that I have not previously been able to extend the budget to accommodate. This is a complete, one-time-only, retrospective of my entire career to date. I hope you will not miss it.

Eddie