Thread: Mary Timony Plays Yes

Mary Timony Plays Yes

Check out Mary's version of Long Distance Runaround. Joan Wasser's vocal is a little shakey, but Mary and her band clearly know the song. This was apparently an inpromtu number during her Mercury Lounge show the other night.

https://youtu.be/UUOEr0RMxJM

As you say, the vocals are 'shakey', the band did a good job though, wonder if anyone in the audience knew the song?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As you say, the vocals are 'shakey', the band did a good job though, wonder if anyone in the audience knew the song?
    Course they did. Mary's band Helium had definite prog appeal (see especially the Magic City album) and her opener on this tour is Noveller, who does Frippertronic-type guitar pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by kramrellim View Post
    Joan Wasser's vocal is a little shakey.....
    It's not just her - somebody in the audience is singing along, and I'd put my money on whoever it was being the one with trouble hitting the notes.

I know Mary's a big Yes/KC fan and judging by Helium's last album (The Magic City) and her solo records, she's also into the other 3 of the big 5 at the very least. Nice to see her get a mention on PE

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It's not just her - somebody in the audience is singing along, and I'd put my money on whoever it was being the one with trouble hitting the notes.
    I don't think it's quite up to the level of shaky yet but could be with a few more performances.

Magic City and her solo records definitely have prog tendencies. And of course she can really tear it up on guitar! Wish I went the other night.

Magic City has a prog feel at times, but it seems more neo-psychedelic to me. I actually really enjoy that album!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...