Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I Love genre benders like Rundgren, why not Steven Wilson?

Just variations on space rock?

James do you consider such as Phil Collins, Edward Ka-Spel genre benders?

(I also offer those last three songs because it amuses me when people act like writing a 3 minute pop song is so out of character for him).

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    James do you consider such as Phil Collins, Edward Ka-Spel genre benders?
    I'm unfamiliar with the latter, but Collins has certainly pushed some boundaries. Don't know that I'd call him a genre-bender though.

What do you consider "genre-bending?" I think that's the question here. What does Wilson need to do for you to consider him genre-bending? Write a Broadway musical and an album of Gregorian chants?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the latter, but Collins has certainly pushed some boundaries. Don't know that I'd call him a genre-bender though.
    Well Collins did pop, musicals, progressive (symphonic) rock, jazz-rock fusion, jazz big band, electronic...just saying

Well Collins did pop, musicals, progressive (symphonic) rock, jazz-rock fusion, jazz big band, electronic...just saying
    You've convinced me then. Phil Collins is a genre bender. That was your plan all along, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    You've convinced me then. Phil Collins is a genre bender. That was your plan all along, wasn't it?
    Not really I do not care much for Phil (you got the wrong guy there).

I am just defending the point I made with the simple example that shows that there is more to the genre benders. And I will make effort to dig into Wilson other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Why do people think of Rundgren as genre bender? Pop and prog?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxU0O0_MmPU
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Not really I do not care much for Phil (you got the wrong guy there).

I am just defending the point I made with the simple example that shows that there is more to the genre benders. And I will make effort to dig into Wilson other projects.
    I have checked No-man: Returning Jesus, It is very beautiful album but frankly very similar to what Wilson has done either solo or on some PT albums. Next to check IEM

Check out No Man Is An Island Except The Isle Of Man, Altamont, Karma, and especially Pride Of Passion for Wilson off the PT reservation.

Steven (Wilson) Rock Garden 1987.jpg

The pic is a thumbnail. You have to click on it to get the full size.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 07-22-2017 at 03:23 PM.

I have checked IEM - IEM and I am even further from being convinced that Wilson is a genre bender. Yet another variation on his signature space rock / post rock style, PT Voyage 34 comes to mind with little bit more Hawkwind like sound to it. Brilliant music though!

Thanks for following up. Honestly, I think you're applying a very broad definition of "space rock," as a catch all for "everything Steven Wilson does," so I'm not surprised that it all fits the same genre under that definition. But I'm happy to disagree with you on this and move on.