Thread: Diagonal interview references Yes.

Diagonal interview references Yes.

Put the word "yes" in a title and people will open it!

Kidding aside, a nice interview with the band. A few of you might be interested so I figured I'd pass it along.

http://www.rocking.gr/interviews/en/...out_ELP/15061/
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm quoting...

"It is frustrating to see the endless articles and cover features time and time again about Yes, about Rush, about ELP, as though no bands worth talking about have come along in the last 40 years. As a relatively new band it would be fantastic to get a little more exposure in the press, but they just don’t seem interested. If there is a prog scene in terms of other bands playing live doing similar stuff to us, I’m not aware of it. There are bands here and there around the country, but given how hard we find it to get gigs I think we’re a long way away from being part of any sort of scene."
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I'm quoting...

"It is frustrating to see the endless articles and cover features time and time again about Yes, about Rush, about ELP, as though no bands worth talking about have come along in the last 40 years.
    Where exactly are all these articles? On PE, Progression and "Prog" magazine? And ELP, I'm always amazed how little respect they got among prog fans today. Rush gets some mention in the mainstream because they are still current, playing in front of huge crowds and selling large numbers of albums. But really, prog in general is ignored outside a few genre specific websites and fanzines. And as far as something new in the last 40 years, should a band as retro as Diagonal really be saying that? I think they are really good at what they do, but they are hardly original or "new".

Did you read the whole interview Thomas or just the quote?

The interviewer asked the band members about the prog scene they were in. They claimed there was no prog scene, that all the major prog outlets talked about Yes, ELP, Rush and Steven Wilson. For a small market band, regardless of how retro, there is no scene. Label mates Astra (also referenced in the interview) are from southern California. They answered the question honestly and, I thought, poignantly.

Yes, there are a lot of prog bands out there. But there are no local prog scenes.

Might as well post this here.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Yes, there are a lot of prog bands out there. But there are no local prog scenes.
    There is in Austin, TX.

Colorado has a prog scene, also.

https://www.coloradoprog.com

How "progressive" is it to be stuck in the 1970s?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    How "progressive" is it to be stuck in the 1970s?
    None, but I don't think the gesture of "being progressive" is their core agenda. Is this so with IQ or Neal Morse? Too bad about the results, then.

The venture of "retro" presented an artistic goal in itself, setting standards of judgement from the quality of implementation based on differing variables and criteria. This was why an artist like Dungen could attain a level of (international) success beyond the wildest dreams of most other contemporary pop/rock names singing in their native tongue; it was never a question of authenticity but of genuinity - of being able to actually convince a listener that the creative presence was that of a mind of yore. In other words: is it "good" retro? Does it succeed?

I like Diagonal. Don't love them, but really appreciate them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't think the second Diagonal album (called The Second Mechanism) was particularly "stuck in the 1970's". The most recent Diagonal album Arc is more retro which I find kind of unfortunate (pleasant album anyway).
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I like Diagonal. Don't love them, but really appreciate them.

Plus that their latest offering was less "retro" than the style we were used to expect from them.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Plus that their latest offering was less "retro" than the style we were used to expect from them.
    It's a very good LP in my opinion, and yes, it avoids the danger of sounding like a zombie from the past.