Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of 2017... PERIOD

Let me add another that I have been getting good mileage out of: Atavismo- Inerte from Spain

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    The release date was 4 November 2016:

https://yussefkamaal.bandcamp.com/

Concerning the split:

http://www.jazzfm.com/news/music-new...confirm-split/

Note that remaining bookings are stated to be fulfilled by one member or the other but not both.
    looks like I'm wrong on both counts
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ Happens to me all the time.

Here's something to cheer you up a bit, some new British prog-psych-jazz that you might not have heard yet:

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yep, figured that out right after posting. Knew someone would call me out. Didn't realize he had so much stuff out, as I wasn't familiar with him. I think the Shadow Theatre stuff is the stuff I especially like.
    Although Ancient Observer is basically a solo album, I still find it very compelling--almost as much so as the ensemble-based Shadow Theater. Definitely my two favorite Tigran releases thus far.

Cheers,

Alan

Here's something to cheer you up a bit, some new British prog-psych-jazz that you might not have heard yet:

Love it at first listen

wish I was wrong more often, then
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

5 that I really like: Accordo dei Contrari - Violato Intatto / Elder - Reflections of A Floating World / Cheer-Accident - Putting off Death / Earthling Society - Zen Bastard / Oxbow - Thin White Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Let me add another that I have been getting good mileage out of: Atavismo- Inerte from Spain

That was Fawking bloody amazing ! LOVE IT!
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    That was Fawking bloody amazing ! LOVE IT!
    And not necessarily the best track on the album, just one I plucked off Youtube. Get the album! It flows really well. Their debut is also very nice.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

This sounds great! What is the name of the band??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lucetjosee69 View Post
    This sounds great! What is the name of the band??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Band is Heliocentrics. They have quite a few albums out under their own name and as collaborations (Lloyd Miller, Mulatu Astatke). All worth checking out if you like this one.

This may not be many folks cuppa tea, but i'm well and truly blown away,big time.Colin Stetson-All This I Do For Glory.Solo alto, tenor and bass saxophones and contrabass clarinet.Recorded live with no overdubs/looping(according to the cd notes).

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

^Speaking of, have you heard his new jazz metal outfit Ex Eye?

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Yes.John Battema(if memory serves)hipped me(us) to it and i liked it very much.Ordered the cd.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Yes.John Battema(if memory serves)hipped me(us) to it and i liked it very much.Ordered the cd.
    Three references from people I trust plus really good samples on bandcamp, ordered.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Although Ancient Observer is basically a solo album, I still find it very compelling--almost as much so as the ensemble-based Shadow Theater. Definitely my two favorite Tigran releases thus far.

Cheers,

Alan
    Excellent! I'll be picking that up by the way. Already ordered Shadow Theater, as well. Thanks for the recommendations!

I should also mention how impressed I am with the new 'Thinking Plague' album. I really don't have words for it. Can't listen without saying 'wow' a few times. Could be my favorite of theirs yet. Yeah, I know I always say that!
    Last edited by bill g; 06-16-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Blondie's "Pollinator"

The only criteria that "counts" is if it would have made a seamless follow up to one's 70's peak ("Parallel Lines"), which this one would have

I haven't heard the new Cheer-Accident yet, but I'll probably like it. Otherwise, the only 'prog' release that has caught my attention this year is Diabolicus Felinae Pandemonium by Pryapisme:

Like these guys -get a real kick out of that game music ingredient. A real salad of well selected sounds
    Last edited by arthurfrayn; 06-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Three references from people I trust plus really good samples on bandcamp, ordered.
    saw Ex Eye at FIMAV.. stunning. CD is pre-ordered

Don't have that much new stuff, but really digging :

Yang- Failure of Words
    Jamie Saft, Steve Swallow, Bobby Previte w. Iggy Pop - Loneliness Road
    Miriodor - Signal 9
    Mumpbeak - Tooth
    Markus Reuter - Falling for Ascension
    MarkusRreuter & Ian Boddy - Memento
    Last edited by markinottawa; 06-18-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    saw Ex Eye at FIMAV.. stunning. CD is pre-ordered

Don't have that much new stuff, but really digging :

Yang- Failure of Words
    Jamie Saft, Steve Swallow, Bobby Previte w. Iggy Pop - Loneliness Road
    Miriodor - Signal 9
    Mumpbeak - Tooth
    Markus Reuter - Falling for Ascension
    MarkusRreuter & Ian Boddy - Memento
    The Saft, Swallow, Previte is good if fairly straight-ahead jazz, but I'm struggling with the three Iggy Pop tracks. His vocals seem tacked on and the style doesn't really suit his voice.

Love the Mumpbeak.

New Hidden Orchestra just out:

and coming soon from Gaudi:

Guest list on the Gaudi includes Bill Laswell, Steve Jansen, Colin Edwin, Pat Mastelotto, Jamie Saft, Roger Eno and Buckethead.

I see you guys mentioned 3 titles on the Rare Noise label. When they first started out, the label was consistently putting out great stuff, all over the map stylistically but you couldnt go wrong whatever you picked.

Lately, it's been hit or miss for them. Some of the stuff is very good like that Mumpbeak but others...not so much. The Saft/Swallow/Previte disc "Lonliness Road" is ok, albeit pretty straight forward piano jazz until the Iggy Pop cuts which, as Socrates says are extremely out of place, and really bad.

The Gaudi is just ok too, even with that superstar cast of musicians it fails to rise above what sounds to me very sanitized instrumental rock that really doesnt go anywhere. When it was over I thought to myself that as a whole, it was a pleasant listen but I honestly couldnt pinpoint one outstanding idea that was fully developed and that had made me sit up and say "wow".

There was also a Cuong Vu/Bill Frisell pairing that came out on that label that I was excited about, only to be disappointed by it. Ideas that just never went anywhere with Frisell sticking to his "clean" sound, never once venturing into his more ballsier skronk sound.

There was a Previte disc that was released a few months ago on that label called "Mass" that was excellent. It was a large scale work with choir, lots of distorted bass compliments of Stephen O'Malley, guitars and some heavy church organ. I think the whole album is here:

https://youtu.be/W_3qxH80Jzw?list=PL...Y7lSIsIC6CLJ54
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

New Hidden Orchestra just out:

and coming soon from Gaudi:Guest list on the Gaudi includes Bill Laswell, Steve Jansen, Colin Edwin, Pat Mastelotto, Jamie Saft, Roger Eno and Buckethead.
    Hidden Orchestra will certainly join my list, for sure

Gaudi, I'm hoping so.

=================

Another beauty (in all sense of the word) from the UK (looks like the Brexit is doing them well , not just us )

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse

https://yazzahmed.bandcamp.com/album/la-saboteuse-2
    Last edited by Trane; 06-19-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    MediaBanda - Bombas en el Aire (Nice unexpected release from these Chilean post Fulano avant-prog folks.)
    So I got the new MediaBanda album. I've only spun it once so far, but really liked what I heard. I had to go back and listen to their last album, Siendo Perro, again. I don't think I gave that one enough time when I first got it, so now that one and Bombas en el Aire are going to get some regular rotation for a while. The band had a bit of a re-boot after the amazing Dinero y Terminacion Nerviosa and I don't think the new stuff is as incredible as that one, but it is still very cool, and I'm looking forward to exploring both of these in more detail.

I'd also mentioned in the new releases thread that Dean Watson has a new one out called Sum of Parts. I haven't bought it yet (I will very soon), but I've listened to it once on Bandcamp (https://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/album/sum-of-parts?t=8). Dean's stuff really does it for me, a wonderful mix of Prog and Fusion with chops, melody, and drama to burn, so this is lock to be among my favorites of 2017.

Bill

I wish to amend my list to include, which I just picked up:

Nexus: En el Comienzo del Topos Uranos. The first 6 songs of the album are standard Nexus fair...good but not essential. The last 3 songs however, El Color Que Cayó del Cielo, Heliotropo, and Los Sacerdotes Malignos are absolutely phenomenal. If nothing else, go to iTunes and download just the last 3 songs. You won't regret it!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Another beauty (in all sense of the word) from the UK (looks like the Brexit is doing them well , not just us )

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse

https://yazzahmed.bandcamp.com/album/la-saboteuse-2
    Lovely! I'll be getting that.