Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phil Fell

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Yeah, but promoters and venues typically lose a lot of money when a tour is cancelled because the performer really isn't physically capable of performing.
    He may have trouble getting bookings after this.
    Yeah, I remember someone telling me The Who went on with their tour that was set to kick off a couple days after Entwistle passed away, if they had cancelled the entire tour, it would have cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

For the record, if he can still get on the stage and sing the songs, make them sound good, and he wants to do it, there's no reason why he shouldn't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Phil felt you up?
    Philfeltafish

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For the record, if he can still get on the stage and sing the songs, make them sound good, and he wants to do it, there's no reason why he shouldn't.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Let's all mock and put down Phil. What a novel idea.
    The guy's suffering, has massive health problems, may never play the drums again, and had a humiliating fall, but it's Phil Collins, so who cares??
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    May never play the drums again? Isn't he on tour?

You should blame the many media outlets that felt it was newsworthy that he fell on the way to the toilet.

He's on tour, but he's just singing. He can't play the drums now due to his drop foot and other health issues. I'm not even sure if he's doing any piano or keyboard work at his concerts, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    He's on tour, but he's just singing. He can't play the drums now due to his drop foot and other health issues. I'm not even sure if he's doing any piano or keyboard work at his concerts, either.

Drums seem to be out for Phil. To record his last LP going Home he had to tape the drum sticks into his hands. His nerve damage was so bad he literally could not hold the sticks. I have read things alluding to the surgery not going as hoped as far as repairing the damage. Regarding the Piano he pulled out "You Know What I Mean" for this tour from Face Value a tune I love, from the heart. Anyway he sat on the piano bench next to his son who tickled the ivory. Not sure if that was just to have a poignant moment with his son or because he could not play the piano. Sad to say the beast I saw behind the kit with Brand X, Genesis, Clapton is no more. Even on the 2007 tour he had clearly slowed down drumming wise quite a bit. Having said that I'm still thrilled to see him performing in anyway he feels fit to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Sad to say the beast I saw behind the kit with Brand X, Genesis, Clapton is no more.
    There's a Bart Simpson quote that's applicable here, but I'm going to forgo in the interest of good taste.

It's kind of a shame things have gone the way they have for him, but I suppose it's not entirely surprising. I've read about musicians far younger than succumbing to tendinitis or carpal tunnel or arthritis, so that he's been able to keep going as long as he has it's kind of an achievement of it's own kind.

Interesting that he would still insist on playing drums on his album under the conditions, though maybe it's just that he knows exactly what he wants the drum parts to be, and it's easier to play it himself than to have someone else do it. I wonder if he had to comp takes together to get a full song, or if he used any kind of looping (ya know, play a couple bars, then loop it inside the computer for the duration of the song, or of the verse or chorus or whatever).

And it's impressive that he's still going on the road, despite his present challenges. Like I said before, if he can still sing well, and if he enjoys singing live, then more power to him.

Is it true that he had been sitting down on stage. I know he's been walking with a cane. Hope he's getting better.

He just changed his name to PHEL COLLINS
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Is it true that he had been sitting down on stage. I know he's been walking with a cane. Hope he's getting better.

Yes on both counts.