Thread: Buke and Gasse / Ahleuchatistas US tour report

Buke and Gasse / Ahleuchatistas US tour report

I had the great pleasure last nite of seeing Ahleuchatistas open for Buke and Gase.

Ahleuchatistas get more and more...um...a SPECTACLE to see and it's one of the most dynamic and intense live shows you can imagine. Ryan is a whirlwind of action and Shane holds it all together in a much lower key but masterful manner (think Keith Moon and John Entwhistle-style, but not musical style).

Buke and Gase are more song oriented and more pop, but also very progressive and really excellent. It took me about 3 songs to fall heavily into the sway of the sound.

If you are interested in 'new' progressive/avant-garde sounds, I don't think I am steering you wrong by pointing you towards the shows still to happen below.

Hope you enjoy them if you go!

February 4 - Il Motore - 179 Rue Jean-Talon-Ouest - Montreal, QC H2S 3J6, Canada
    (514) 284-0122

February 5 - The Drake -1150 Queen Street West - Toronto, ON M6J 1J3, Canada
    (416) 531-5042

February 6 - Pike Room - 1 S. Saginaw - Pontiac, MI 48342
    248-858-9333

February 7 - Beachland Tavern - 15711 Waterloo Road - Cleveland, OH 44110
    (216) 383-1124

February 8 - Lincoln Hall - 2424 North Lincoln Avenue - Chicago, IL 60614
    (773) 525-2501

February 9 - 7th Street Entry - Minneapolis, MN

February 11 - Walnut Room - 3131 Walnut Street - Denver, CO
    (303) 292-0529

February 12 - Kilby Court - 750 Kilby Court Salt Lake City, UT 84101
    (801) 364-3538

February 14 - Media Club - 695 Cambie Street - Vancouver, BC V6B, Canada
    (604) 608-2871

February 15 - Barboza - 925 E. Pike St. - Seattle, WA 98122

February 16 - Doug Fir Lounge - 830 East Burnside Street - Portland, OR 97214
    (503) 231-9663

February 18 - Café Du Nord - 2170 Market Street - San Francisco, CA 94114
    (415) 861-5016

February 19 - The Echo - 1822 West Sunset Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90026
    (213) 413-8200

February 20 - The Casbah - 2501 Kettner Boulevard - San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 232-4355
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thanks for the report Steve, sounds very interesting. I'm going to try and go Tuesday night in Toronto.

neil

I will try to make the Portland show!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Last edited by Steve F.; 02-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Buke and Gase are good, and their new album is as well. Quirky dynamics with acoustic layering. I wish I had seen them with Deerhoof last Fall, but didn't make it. But I really mean to not miss them again when they headline in Minneapolis on Saturday.

Ahleuchatistas I've never heard of, but will have to sample to get an idea about. I find the avant-garde stuff is very hit and miss for me, but when it works, it's some of the most creative music.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Ahleuchatistas I've never heard of, but will have to sample to get an idea about.
    My experience with them in the past was that they were fast and bulbous.
    That's right, fast and bulbous. Bulbous, also tapered. And also, a tin teardrop.

Although that was the older three-piece version, and they might sound different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    they might sound different now.
    You wouldn't guess it was the same band.

Completely different.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Went to the show in Toronto tonight. Well attended. Unfortunately,the Ahleuchatistas never made it across the border from the U.S. Luckily for me and my friends, Buke and Gasse were excellent. A little more poppy, but with some definite prog elements and they have a big sound for a two-piece. Dave, Sr. said the female guitarist reminded him a lot of Robert Fripp. I imagine it would be a great double-bill, so go check 'em out, if you have the chance.

neil

yeah that sucks!!! Shane, the guitarist, tweeted this bad news the other day.

The infamous Canadian Customs strike again. Damn. I've seen my share of hell and cancelled or postponed or 2-band-members missing shows!!

What sucks is SOME agents will let you thru, while the next year an overzealous one will find some reason. A bummer, 'cos otherwise a wonderful country to visit and perform in.

The US leg of the tour resumed last night and it's clear sailing for all parties across the amber waves of grain until the final note in San Diego on 2/20.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

bump - no one has gone?

There were between 200-300 people in DC!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm looking to go tonight, but am unclear based on the weather and my schedule. I already have a ticket for Between the Buried and Me/Coheed/Russian Circles tomorrow night down the hall from the Entry in the Mainroom. However, the weather may have up to 9 inches of snow, and if so, I don't know if it'll be worth trekking through that. I.e. going tonight, with not much if any factors of weather may be my consolation for tomorrow night's weather affected trek to a concert.

Ironic, the 2 or 3 times I looked to see Coheed and Cambria, the weather was one of the main reasons I skipped the show. It may happen again tomorrow night. I'm not sure what it is about Coheed and Minnesota and crappy weather luck for me, lol.

UPDATE FOR DENVER:

Show has moved to:

February 11 - Larimer Lounge - 2721 Larimer Street - Denver, CO 80205 (303) 291.1007

http://www.larimerlounge.com/event_d...fm?blogid=1006
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Have to admit I wimped out on the Cleveland gig, it was a 7 hour round trip with a 7am meeting the next morning and the weather not looking to clever, wind, sleet & snow. I know, I'm a wuss.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Why is it so hard for some people to get into Canada? I just give them my passport, tell them what I'm doing in their country, and then they wave me through. Sad that there is some hassle for others.

Counting my pennies for next Saturday for the Portland show!

Ironically, Kyle, Coheed and Cambria are playing Portland the next night, but it doesn't look good financially for me to make both shows. I'm going to choose the cheaper show and hope to see C&C some time in the future when I'm working.

No snow here!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain