Thread: Ragnarok Self-Titled 1976

Ragnarok Self-Titled 1976

I suspect most of the aficionados know this one.... but somehow I missed it- in parts a dead ringer for Obscured By Clouds era Floyd, a little Snow Goose era Camel, some flirtations with rock jazz fusion that sound something like Rick Wrights "Wet Dream"....all suffused with a languid 70's Swedish pothead vibe...if you're not familiar, try it- its a killer! Sorry there were no bonus tracks on the Silence reissue I purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkUo9F3ZU4

I've sampled it a lot over the years, but never bought it. It just seems a bit "tame" for my tastes, so I never took the plunge. I'll re-listen to the sample you posted when I have a chance.

Bill

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Good album!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've sampled it a lot over the years, but never bought it. It just seems a bit "tame" for my tastes, so I never took the plunge. I'll re-listen to the sample you posted when I have a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfd
    in parts a dead ringer for Obscured By Clouds era Floyd, a little Snow Goose era Camel, some flirtations with rock jazz fusion that sound something like Rick Wrights "Wet Dream"....all suffused with a languid 70's Swedish pothead vibe..
    Both good descriptions. A VERY NICE album, but hardly essential.

They're highly regarded among most afficcionados of Northern progressive rock from the 70s, and rightly thought of as rather singular in sound. Peter Bryngelsson, their guitarist and main composer, is a reknowned media personality, music educator and pedagogue who has written numerous scores for TV shows, jingles etc.

Ragnarök's game was never exhibitionist or "wannabe-classical" variations on rock, but meditative soundpictures and headrooms emphasizing atmosphere, tension and release. Their reunion album from a decade-or-so back, Path (on Musea), is actually one of their very best recordings and displays the timeless nature of their approach and sensibility. Although some of their tunes may appear understated or unreasonably laidback, this was often the point itself; they're a bit like countrymen Baltik and Archimedes' Badkar, or Finnish folksters Piirpauke at this.

Great band.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lovely record, and works flawlessly in evoking and then sustaining a certain mood. Bryngelsson isn't at all demonstrative in his playing here, but pleasingly idiosyncratic all the same. In my mental filing system, for some reason this sits near to John G. Perry's Sunset Wading.

It may be heresy to some, but there's no Camel album I'd swap it for.

One of my favourites from that era. Just such a good feel, all the way through. Pastoral, jazzy and always pleasing to the ear. I'll have to check out that re-union album Path.

neil

The first 3 are all worth owning, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Each is a different animal, too. The debut is mellow jazz-fusion with a very Nordic feel. The second is similar, but with more dynamic (i.e.: contrasting loud) passages. The third is something entirely different: more Crimsonic with some “world music” flavors.

Obscured by Clouds? Really? I don’t hear any of that album in their music!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

What difference it makes when you hear an album just released, I got this one back in 77, remember reading about in a mail order catalog, a simple review, "you must hear this album" I got totally into it, what a mood back then, love it after all this years.

Fjarilar i Magen is a fantastic follow up, some amazing music in it

Fata morgana a change of direction and for me, a great album

3 signs - nope for my taste.

Well - this one is simply amazing but in a completely different style

Path - their fantastic 2008 album, return to their roots, for fans of their first 2 albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Tame is not a word I'd use (even for your own tastes ) for Ragna's debut album, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ragnarök's game was never exhibitionist or "wannabe-classical" variations on rock, but meditative soundpictures and headrooms emphasizing atmosphere, tension and release. Their reunion album from a decade-or-so back, Path (on Musea), is actually one of their very best recordings and displays the timeless nature of their approach and sensibility. Although some of their tunes may appear understated or unreasonably laidback, this was often the point itself; they're a bit like countrymen Baltik and Archimedes' Badkar, or Finnish folksters Piirpauke at this.

Great band.
    Unfortunately, from their 70's albums, only the debut got a CD reissue, right?
    Never heard of Baltik and I have the first two Piirpauke, but Iwill have to compare

However likening Ragna to Badkar?? These guys sounded world music avant-la-lettre, just like some of those Embryo albums...

I've even had to resort to buying a Tachika boot of Fjarilar (which I didn't find nearly as good as their debut)

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It may be heresy to some, but there's no Camel album I'd swap it for.
    No heresy at all for me, but I wouldn't trade Ragnarok's debut for any Camel, beit an original pressing or their whole discography

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Never heard Morgana, but the debut is a must-have and TBH, the second didn't do much for me when I spoun it around at acquisition time

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Obscured by Clouds? Really? I don’t hear any of that album in their music!
    neither do I, nor any Camel for that matter either...

If anything, this album makes me think of Fleetwood Mac's Then Play On album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    However likening Ragna to Badkar?? These guys sounded world music avant-la-lettre, just like some of those Embryo albums...
    Forgive me. Please. Find it in your heart.

I didn't mean to 'liken' Ragnarök's music directly to any of those mentioned; what I did was compare their particular expression of restraint in relation to dynamics, tension etc. Please forgive. Please. Never forget, but forgive.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

mmmmhhh!!!... in my all-encompassing magnanimity , I'll put your temporary insanity on the account of a difficult digestion of this morning's rakfisk breakfast
    Last edited by Trane; 06-10-2017 at 05:35 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A beautiful album and there's not much in he way of info in the liner notes other than a picture of the band in the Winter and the lineup. It also says it was first released in February of 1976.
    I always have liked the album art, especially when you open it up revealing that that's pollution high in the sky.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Unfortunately, from their 70's albums, only the debut got a CD reissue, right?
    Never heard of Baltik and I have the first two Piirpauke, but Iwill have to compare
    Baltik was a Janne Schaffer/Björn J:son Lindh project. A lot of folks contributed to this, notably singer Tomas Ledin (later a solo star in his own right), British bassist and singer Johnny Gustafson (of Quatermass and Roxy Music fame) and Canadian singer Beverly Glenn. It’s a bit “subtle” for my tastes and Gustafson’s vocals can be a bit overbearing, but there’s one minor classic in the fusion instrumental “No Registration, Please.”

I've even had to resort to buying a Tachika boot of Fjarilar (which I didn't find nearly as good as their debut)
    To each his/her own, but Fjärilar i magen may well be my favorite album of theirs. Mind you, it was also my first album of theirs (bought totally on a whim knowing nothing about the album or artist, just thinking the record looked cool), so I’m a bit nostalgic for this one. Did this one ever receive an official CD release (not counting the shitty Tachika CD-R)? I’ll probably wind up clinging to my Silence vinyl in any case, just wanted to know.

Never heard Morgana, but the debut is a must-have and TBH, the second didn't do much for me when I spoun it around at acquisition time
    Fata Morgana is totally worth your while. Don’t let FIM color your opinion, as it’s a completely different animal. You wouldn’t even guess it was the same band!

But yeah...go back and listen to FIM before completely passing judgement on it.

mmmmhhh!!!... in my all-encompassing magnanimity , I'll put your temporary insanity on the account of a difficult digestion of this morning's rakfisk breakfast
    So long as it wasn’t surströmming. I hear that stuff causes permanent brain damage.

To each his/her own, but Fjärilar i magen may well be my favorite album of theirs. Mind you, it was also my first album of theirs (bought totally on a whim knowing nothing about the album or artist, just thinking the record looked cool), so I’m a bit nostalgic for this one. Did this one ever receive an official CD release (not counting the shitty Tachika CD-R)? I’ll probably wind up clinging to my Silence vinyl in any case, just wanted to know.

So long as it wasn’t surströmming. I hear that stuff causes permanent brain damage.
    I was wondering if something was actually wrong in the copying/pressing of that Tachika boot (serves me right to buy this crap)

AFAIK, Sweden's surströmming = Normway's Rakfisk
    But we'll let Scrot/Ben develop the subtleties of Scandic delicacies

Nice that someone thought to start a thread on this group. The first two albums are where it's at for me. The first is quite pleasant and relaxing. In addition to Camel, I find it somewhat similar in aesthetic quality to Harmonium's instrumental portions.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Did this one ever receive an official CD release (not counting the shitty Tachika CD-R)? I’ll probably wind up clinging to my Silence vinyl in any case, just wanted to know
    Yes by Silence Records and Arcangelo (Japan)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Yes by Silence Records and Arcangelo (Japan)
    My cd is from Silence Records.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

OK, I relisted to the debut, and it's still magical to me...

as for Fjarilar, I'm glad I gave it another listen...;

OK yeah, it's a different beast but not that much either... Past the crunchy and crushy guitar chords of the intro and on the start of the flipside, we find roughly the same ambiances than on the debut. The only weak point ios the lengthy closer, that shares its time of running stream waters and guitar arpeggios (which I find relatively clumsy)... For the rest, it's relatively normal I gave one less star on PA than for the debut

I relistened to the debut, and it's still magical to me.
    Then you'd want to hear Path. Parts of it come so close to the debut that they could almost be outtakes - except that the tunes are every bit as good and possess that very same, timeless vibe of contemplative beauty.

I think it's a good thing that Ragnarök emplyed only a minimum of vocals (and mostly didn't include them on their albums at all), as they would have disruptet or interferred with the "storytelling" emannating from the tonal paintings. I'll be spinning them a lot this upcoming summer, I reckon - basically due to this thread. They have that effect; if you start to engulf yourself in this world of sound you become somewhat transfixed with the feeling it bestowes on you.

as for Fjarilar, I'm glad I gave it another listen...;

OK yeah, it's a different beast but not that much either... Past the crunchy and crushy guitar chords of the intro and on the start of the flipside, we find roughly the same ambiances than on the debut. The only weak point ios the lengthy closer, that shares its time of running stream waters and guitar arpeggios (which I find relatively clumsy)...
    In spite of my ancestry, I’m not terribly au fait with the Swedish language, so I may be terribly off base; but Fjärilar i magen seems to be music for a theater piece. I don’t know if that accounts for the completely out-of-character heavy metal piece that opens the album (well, it is called “Adrenalin”!). And I don’t know what’s going on with the Sami woman taking plaster casts of the band members’ faces. Anyone know the whole story?

Incidentally, the water sounds ended at a locking groove in the runout of the original LP. I think my favorite piece on this album might just be the penultimate track which is basically just solo (electric) guitar and occasional bongos. This is a band that knows how to say a lot with a little. Their use of gentle electric guitar cadences and the ambient, semi-acoustic nature of their music in general rather reminds me of Popol Vuh. Not to say they sound similar, but both acts share a similar ethos.

I think it's a good thing that Ragnarök emplyed only a minimum of vocals (and mostly didn't include them on their albums at all), as they would have disruptet or interferred with the "storytelling" emannating from the tonal paintings.
    Funny, I don’t remember vocals on any of their albums. Mind you, I only own the first three, and I know they have a couple more.

Their reunion album from a decade-or-so back, Path (on Musea), is actually one of their very best recordings and displays the timeless nature of their approach and sensibility.
    I wasn't previously aware of Path, but bought a copy of the CD from the band's web site based on your assessment. It arrived today and I think timeless is exactly right, the passage of thirty years seems illusory when listening to this spiritual successor to the debut. Much like Lino Capra Vaccina's Arcaico Armonico, a belated sibling to Antico Adagio, in that respect (and that respect only!).

It's a lovely record, so thanks for the rec.