Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Beyond on tour?!

Captain Beyond on tour?!

To quote Kyle's mom, "what? What? WHAT?!"

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialCaptainBeyond/

Oh, I would be so there if they play near here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I would definitely want to see this too. Hell, that would be worth a road trip if I could afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I would definitely want to see this too. Hell, that would be worth a road trip if I could afford it.
    Which members?

and if that includes Bobby Caldwell, will they also play some Armageddon?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    and if that includes Bobby Caldwell, will they also play some Armageddon?
    He's the only original member involved, apparently. Rhino kicked a few years ago. Rod Evans is not involved, it seems.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

HFS !! I might, no, WILL be going to Nia. Falls this year !

Vintage demo tracks, never heard before, including one unreleased song not found anywhere else! These raw demos earned the band a deal with The Allman Brothers' label Capricorn Records and launched their career!

Lost & Found 1972​-​1973
    by Captain Beyond

https://captainbeyond.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Vintage demo tracks, never heard before, including one unreleased song not found anywhere else! These raw demos earned the band a deal with The Allman Brothers' label Capricorn Records and launched their career!

Lost & Found 1972​-​1973
    Coming out on CD and Vinyl also from Cleopatra:

http://cleorecs.com/home/rare-demos-...und-1972-1973/

The members:

Bobby Caldwell - Drums / vocals

Simon Lind - Lead Vocals / Electric & Acoustic Guitar

Jeff Artabasy - Bass / vocals

Don E Bonzi - Guitar / vocals

Jamie Holka - Guitar / vocals

Corey Kertzie - Percussion

Caldwell was for a long period the best american rock drummer with his own style.
    Saw him with Johnny Winter in the days. Would love to see him again.

I like and respect Caldwell but this isn't exactly Captain Beyond, as least to me. I realize that two of the original members are now gigging on another plane but I need Rod Evans in the lineup.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^I don't think Evans has been involved with music for approaching 40 years. He got seriously badly burned by that 'fake Deep Purple' fiasco. I'm sure I read recently that someone from Captain Beyond is still in touch with him, so he's still around. But nowhere near the music industry, despite recently being inducted into the 'Rock Hall.

Plook ! I missed the Bradenton show.....

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I don't think Evans has been involved with music for approaching 40 years. He got seriously badly burned by that 'fake Deep Purple' fiasco. I'm sure I read recently that someone from Captain Beyond is still in touch with him, so he's still around. But nowhere near the music industry, despite recently being inducted into the 'Rock Hall.
    Yeah, I heard he was pretty thoroughly disillusioned by the whole fake Deep Purple debacle, and kinda retired from music.

I knew Rhino had gone home, but I don't think I was aware that Lee Dorman had also passed away.

Haven't played the first album in a few years. I will search for it among my thousand CDs. Thank you thread.

The eons are closing
    I play the s/t and 'Sufficiently.... " every two or three months, especially when I get a chance to open the sunroof and hit the gas...

CB is some of my fave driving tunage, like kyuss...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I heard he was pretty thoroughly disillusioned by the whole fake Deep Purple debacle, and kinda retired from music.

I knew Rhino had gone home, but I don't think I was aware that Lee Dorman had also passed away.
    Can you guys elaborate more about the "fake Deep Purple" debacle. He was with them for two records right?

A bogus Deep Purple was formed in , I think, L.A. around 1980. Rod was talked into joining. The rest were a bunch of second rate nobodies. There's some brief footage on YouTube of them playing "Space Trucking" at an outdoor gig in Mexico.
    Rod actually looks and sounds good but the rest of the band are a shambles.
    Some of the members from the real Deep Purple(who were split up then) sued them and won. I think Rod lost all of his royalties.

re: Rod Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Can you guys elaborate more about the "fake Deep Purple" debacle. He was with them for two records right?
    Rod Evans was Deep Purple's original lead singer, performing on their first three albums. He and Nick Simper were both sacked because, according to Jon Lord "Ritchie had made up his mind what he wanted to do, and Rod and Nicky weren't going to get us there".

About ten years after Evans was fired from Deep Purple, he toured briefly with a band that was billed as Deep Purple, with him being the only original band member (or indeed the only alumnus period) involved. Needless to say, whichever entity that was placed in charge of protecting the affairs and legacy of Deep Purple were not too pleased. So litigation took place, the upshot of which is that Evans stopped receiving royalties from the three Deep Purple albums he sang on. I believe he was also responsible for damages that were awarded to the real band's management (I wonder if Blackmore, Lord or Paice ever saw any of that money).

For what it's worth, I believe I read once that the guy who put Evans together with the fake Deep Purple was the same guy who talked Goldie McJohn and Nick St. Nicholas of Steppenwolf into touring with the Steppenwolf name. In that instance, apparently, John Kay allowed them to do it for whatever period of time during the 70's, at the expense of, once again, Nick and Goldie forfeiting any future royalties from the Steppenwolf catalog. To hear John Kay talk it, he makes it sound like he deliberately screwed Nick and Goldie. Of course, Nick and Goldie could have easily said, "No, this sounds like a bad deal", but I guess they weren't forward thinking enough to realize Steppenwolf was gong to play a big role in pop culture once the 60's nostalgia thing kick in (did you ever see the episode of Roseanne where one of Dan's buddies talks about wanting to buy a Japanese motorcycle instead of a Harley, and Dan says, "Do you want a bike that sounds like Barry Manilow, or one that sounds like..." revs up his Harley's engine, before continuing with, "...Steppenwolf?!").

Wow. That truly sucks. I understand why he would be sour of the whole business after something like this. Thank you both for clearing that up for me.

Yeah, that mess was a huge shame. I'd probably go if Rod was there, but Rhino missing would still be a problem....

Yes, that Deep Purple fiasco was a real shame for Rod and a sham by the promoters. It got a lot of negative publicity for him, and may have set forth the reunion of the classic Mk II lineup.

But fast forward 37 years, it was way ahead of its time!

Well if Rhino and Lee are both dead and Rod's retired, the drummer and his hand picked players will get a shot from me. Dancing Madly Backwards was HUGELY influential on my early drumming development.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Well if Rhino and Lee are both dead and Rod's retired, the drummer and his hand picked players will get a shot from me. Dancing Madly Backwards was HUGELY influential on my early drumming development.
    Well they are coming near me (Atlanta), and a friend is definitely going, so I might go as well.