Thread: Free Press

Free Press

Does your city have a free press that tells about concerts, movie reviews, art opening, restaurants, etc. in your city or do you know of any you regularly read?

For Austin there's the AustinChronicle.

For Dallas there's the DallasObserver.

The NYC area has the BrooklynRail.

Southwest Michigan has this: http://revuewm.com/

It is a great publication that comes out once a month. Most bars, music stores, and restaurants carry the print version so it is easy to find.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is The Village Voice still free in those boxes in NYC? Haven't looked for it in ages.

Or The Onion?

Oh, in Westchester County there's something called More Sugar that's all ads and articles about area concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is The Village Voice still free in those boxes in NYC?
    Yes, but it couldn't be more a shadow of its former glory.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Washington City Paper, in the D.C area is a weekly that has a calendar of events and concerts.http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/
    Last edited by markwoll; 06-08-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    We used to have the Boston Phoenix, but it shut down a few years ago. I get most of my info these days via e-mail and reading PE.

Madison has Isthmus, a weekly free alternative paper and Milwaukee has Shepherd Express.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Reno, Nevada has the Reno News & Review, a free weekly paper. It is combined with sister papers in Chico, California and Sacramento, California here:

Newsreview.com
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Atlanta has: Creative Loafing.....haven't picked it up in years though.

The Jersey Shore used to have: The Aquarian (not sure if it still exists as I don't live there anymore)
    G.A.S -aholic

In Connecticut, we have CTNOW http://www.ctnow.com

Page 2 - 'Concert Calendar'
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Okay, thanks. The more the merrier. You never know when you might visit some of these areas and these type papers are good to know about in catching a concert or museum show.

Portland has Willamette Week and The Mercury.

They're both weeklies, both cover many of the same events, and are both dominated by hipsters so they tend to miss many of the events I might find interesting. The Willamette Week is older, more established, and has become the de facto Portland Democratic paper (The Oregonian is moderate Republican). It generally does more political reporting, and I usually find it better written and more interesting.

The Mercury is worse for annoying hipsterism. Richard Meltzer, a Portland character and an old-time rock critic, Beat poet, and lyricist for Blue Oyster Cult, once described it perfectly. He said, "Ya know what's the problem with The Mercury? They don't know how to tell a joke, that's what the problem with The Mercury is. You know how to tell a joke, right? First you do the set-up, then you do the punchline. That's how you tell a joke. But The Mercury? They just give you the punchline. And then they keep riffin' on it. That's not the way you tell a joke. Am I right?" And he was.

We've got the Scene here in Cleveland, but I felt out of the habit of reading it regularly ages ago.