Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED 2003 Album: Opeth - Damnation

I am not fond of metal and Opeth is generally no exception, except this album. I think that they show a real ability to produce nice progressive albums without the need for metal riffs and growling voices. Great album!
    Last edited by Progmatic; 02-04-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    OK, getting back to you. Learned the first song above in one pass. Simple as pie. No more complex than a Nirvana tune. Again, not saying it's "bad" or anything, but still scratching my head why this gets "Prog" cred while so much other simplistic rock doesn't (hello Metallica). Must be it's dark mood and that it's from Sweden, where everything is "Prog." Bill
    Hey Bill, I've got your back.

I agree , not much here I haven't heard a million times, but a good band that seems to play with conviction.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Hey Bill, I've got your back.

I agree , not much here I haven't heard a million times, but a good band that seems to play with conviction.
    You two must be on something. Damnation sounds like no "acoustic" album I have heard. Several places on the album are quite dark and spooky. Especially that eerie 'Tron.

I like the heavier Opeth - and the dappled one as well - but stripping back the arrangements as they did here IMO showed just how poor the songwriting is. Bland songs with arch-silly lyrics.

The sister-album Deliverancewas much better.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

My fave from Opeth. To be blunt, I don't like PT and SW at all. But this 'a'la' CD is excellent!

I like this album a whole lot.

At the same time, I'm glad it was a one-off. (HERITAGE is really quite different)

Which sounds like strange praise but without the death vox, too much of the Opeth dynamic is lost. It worked for me for this one album though.
    Last edited by ItalProgRules; 02-04-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Michael has such a nice voice it's a shame so many of their albums have him growling. I can't even listen to Ghost Reveries in 5.1 because of that kind of voice. Growlers have no personal sound-just this horrible voice. I first heard it with bands like Death and I forget the others.....I'd much rather hear the stratospheric vocals of King Diamond on Abigail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    OK, getting back to you. Learned the first song above in one pass. Simple as pie. No more complex than a Nirvana tune. Bill
    Ouch!

Like it, been a few years since I listened.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Love it, and was fortunate enough to see the first ever live performance, where they played the album in its entirety as well as some other 'non-metal' tracks (and a killer rendition of Deep Purple's "Soldier Of Fortune". They were very nervous, Mikael later said, but they blew the audience away - there was a stunned silence following the song "Closure", I'll never forget it! Porcupine Tree was next on the bill and they had a tough act to follow.
    Man i'm so jealous !
    This is such a great idea going back 10 years and looking at these albums. You've already covered 2 of my top 3 from 2003 in "Power To Believe" and "Damnation". "Gravity" would be the other.
    Anyway this is an album that i thought was very good at first but then i put it away and brought it out on a trip to Florida one year and it just clicked with me in a way i didn't expect. Hard to describe really other than it moves me.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I like this album a whole lot.

At the same time, I'm glad it was a one-off. (HERITAGE is really quite different)

Which sounds like strange praise but without the death vox, too much of the Opeth dynamic is lost. It worked for me for this one album though.
    Same here ! I always thought that Opeth without the growls would be perfect but Heritage and Watershed proved me wrong. Damnation is unique in that it's melancholic and dreary throughout. Slow paced really. Those growls i've come to believe are important in making the clean vocal parts even better. And this is from a guy who isn't into the growls. Same with the new Enslaved album called RIITIIR which is amazing although the vocals there are maybe more raspy than growly. If that makes sense. Well closer to Agalloch's vocals.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Same here ! I always thought that Opeth without the growls would be perfect but Heritage and Watershed proved me wrong. Damnation is unique in that it's melancholic and dreary throughout. Slow paced really. Those growls i've come to believe are important in making the clean vocal parts even better. And this is from a guy who isn't into the growls. Same with the new Enslaved album called RIITIIR which is amazing although the vocals there are maybe more raspy than growly. If that makes sense. Well closer to Agalloch's vocals.
    I didn't know that Watershed was free of growls.

Love it, and was fortunate enough to see the first ever live performance, where they played the album in its entirety as well as some other 'non-metal' tracks (and a killer rendition of Deep Purple's "Soldier Of Fortune". They were very nervous, Mikael later said, but they blew the audience away - there was a stunned silence following the song "Closure", I'll never forget it! Porcupine Tree was next on the bill and they had a tough act to follow.
    Was that at the Danforth Music Hall in 30+C temps? If so, I was at that show too. Great show, but I'll never go to another summer event at the Danforth. I loved the Opeth show without growls, but I remember that a lot of Opeth fans sitting around us were really pissed off. And most of them left before PT hit the stage.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 02-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.

^^^ForeverAutumn, yes, that was the show! The whole night was pretty captivating. Toronto shows in the summer are always sweltering. Last June I saw Marillion and it was one of those hell-on-earth days, and we were in the Opera House. Steve Rothery came over to me to give me a bottle of water. I guess I was pretty obviously sweating!

Anyway, that Opeth/PT show was one of the best ones of my life, and I've seen sixty zillion concerts.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^ForeverAutumn, yes, that was the show! The whole night was pretty captivating. Toronto shows in the summer are always sweltering.
    I was so hot in there that I was almost falling asleep! But, you're right, it was a great night. Excellent show. Also one of my highlight shows, although I've only seen about 15 zillion. It was my first experience with Opeth, both live and the Deliverance album. I've come to love some of their other material, but I have to admit that I prefer the clean vocals over the death metal vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I was so hot in there that I was almost falling asleep! But, you're right, it was a great night. Excellent show. Also one of my highlight shows, although I've only seen about 15 zillion. It was my first experience with Opeth, both live and the Deliverance album. I've come to love some of their other material, but I have to admit that I prefer the clean vocals over the death metal vocals.
    I saw them a couple of times following that and they played the death stuff and I loved it too, so I might be in that smaller group of fans who truly loves both aspects of the band. SW & co. were truly fantastic afterwards as well, which should not go understated. He walked on barefoot as always and they started "Even Less" and it was amazing. My wife got Mikael to sign our tickets after the gig out front. At a PT show at the Mod Club, she waltzed up to Steven Wilson at the end at got him to sign In Absentia right from the stage. It feels now like both those bands have become so much bigger.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***