Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED 2003 Album: Opeth - Damnation

FEATURED 2003 Album: Opeth - Damnation

For the next week plus, we're going to feature 10 albums that were released 10 years ago and are now a decade old. How have they held up? You may have forgotten a few or have yet to fathom the album is now 10 years old.

Next up, Opeth's "paradigm shift" moment - Damnation:

Review from The Metal Observer:
    When OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt called me from his apartment in Stockholm, we managed to cover a wide range of topics over the course of the 45 minute interview. From his interest in satanic Black Metal while growing up, to the use of a strong image as a promotional tool for bands, he was always upfront and honest regarding such topics. Now you are probably wondering: why is all of this being said in a review? Well, since this was my first interview, it was only appropriate that my recording device fail to live up to its capabilities. However, I felt that it would have been a great injustice to merely accept failure and disregard the whole experience, especially considering what I had learned first hand from Mikael regarding OPETH's latest blessing upon the Metal world titled "Damnation". When the conversation topic turned to "Damnation", Mikael's enthusiastic anxiety was impossible to ignore. When he explained that he never usually cared what critics had to say about previous OPETH albums, but for "Damnation", he was really nervous to see what people thought, it became more than apparent that Mikael was (and very well should be) immensely proud of what he had achieved on this album. He followed up by saying that he was not going to read what people had to say about "Damnation" because of how much work he had put into it.

I found this to be rather surprising because, being a huge OPETH fan and having heard the album for myself, I am quite certain that only words of praise will be given to this latest offering of musical genius. When I asked him how he felt about the prospects of "Damnation" selling very well, he summed up his indifference by simply stating that if you write music for sales, and not for music or inspiration's sake, the quality of the music is bound to suffer. Having already been exposed to the generic nature of popular music here in North America, his response could not have made more sense. While much was discussed, it was Mikael's excitement for "Damnation" that most stuck in my mind. Regardless of what naysayers may claim, OPETH are on of the most captivating bands of our day, a fact that none can refute.

While many bands release mediocre albums while trying to disguise them as testaments to their "progression", OPETH do no such thing, as "Damnation" shows the band taking a very significant progressive step without compromising the music in any way. Sombre yet reflective, "Windowpane" begins this emotional journey by creating a perfect atmosphere that is evident throughout the album. While many may believe that they already have an idea of what "Damnation" will sound like, all I can say is that throughout this album, new elements and sounds are incorporated that have never been heard before (and some that have) on any OPETH album. Mellotrons, keyboards, grand pianos, and vocal effects all come together in a flawless manner to demonstrate OPETH's foundations in classic and Progressive Rock. "In My Time Of Need" then overwhelms the listener in a bleak sense of longing most apparent in Mikael's words, while "Death Whispered A Lullaby" evokes a soothing uneasiness that is perfectly expressed in the song's chorus and vocal melodies. "Closure" then picks up the pace in comparison to the previously mentioned tracks, only to end in a very abrupt fashion. Such an ending works as a successful reminder to the listener not to make any assumptions regarding OPETH's music, while also instilling further uneasiness.

However, any such sentiments quickly fade away as the opening of "Hope Leaves" reverts back to the sense of longing previously felt on "In My Time Of Need". The album reaches its peak when we are blessed with "To Rid The Disease", my personal favourite track off "Damnation". Whether it is the use of the piano in the background, or the perfect chorus, this song is easily one of the most beautifully written clean songs that OPETH have ever released. Though silence is all that can be heard following the conclusion of "To Rid The Disease", it does not last long, as the instrumental "Ending Credits" slowly emerges from the darkness to please the listener with a more upbeat sound, backed by excellent instrumental work. The stellar, yet reserved guitar work, however, deserves special recognition. Finally, the closing track "Weakness" begins with an eerie sounding effect that is quickly supported by Mikael's soft, almost fragile voice. This creates a lingering atmosphere without ever boring the listener. "Weakness" delivers haunting vocal and lyrical work that leave the listener in a sombre state of reflection when the final words are uttered.

While OPETH have received criticism in the past for not progressing enough with each subsequent release, few can now make any such claim after hearing "Damnation" and keep a clear conscience at the same time. Though bands will continue to change their music in an effort to please a larger audience, OPETH follow their own formula: create music that many can only dream of making, while observing a fanbase growth as a result of the music. This has proven successful in the past, and will continue to do so. Progression has always been a double-edged sword for the traditional artist, unless you happen to be as untraditional as OPETH, for then, no such rules apply. "Damnation" has finally arrived; let the worshipping begin. (Online May 14, 2003)

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Love it to death.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

A little too dark and depressing for me...The vocals are pretty damn good though....

Love it, and was fortunate enough to see the first ever live performance, where they played the album in its entirety as well as some other 'non-metal' tracks (and a killer rendition of Deep Purple's "Soldier Of Fortune". They were very nervous, Mikael later said, but they blew the audience away - there was a stunned silence following the song "Closure", I'll never forget it! Porcupine Tree was next on the bill and they had a tough act to follow.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I love Opeth but honestly their mellow and acoustic side is a bit formulaic. I regard Deliverance and Ghost Reveries as their masterpieces, mostly because the great combination of the mellow and the harsh.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love this album too! I also saw them do this album in full when they toured with P Tree (^ but not the FIRST time ). Although I was into P Tree since the time The Sky Moves Sideways came out, by the time of this tour I wasn't really interested in what P Tree was doing. I was much more looking forward to Opeth, and to be honest, IMO Opeth blew P Tree away. CTTOI, did Opeth tour the US with P Tree BEFORE the release of Damnation? I feel like I saw them do Damnation in full AFTER the tour where they toured with P Tree. Hard to remember since both shows were at Irving Plaza in NYC. Anyway, I've seen them do the Damnation material a couple of times and it's always stunning live.

To me this album pushed a lot of the same buttons that Anekdoten and Anglagard had already pushed, and it really allowed Akerfedt's vocals and beautiful guitar playing to shine. Also, the shadow enshrouded keyboard player and monumental drumming were really big factors in the live shows. I forget which is the Camel sound alike track, but that one gave me a big kick too, and I remember Akerfeldt saying something at one of the shows that it was a rip-off of Camel and meant to be. Akerfeldt is a true progger.

Despite what the review in the OP says, I've heard a lot of negative opinions expressed about this album, but they always surprise me. It's definitely a favorite Opeth album for me.

Cozy, the artwork isn't appearing at the top of the page. Does it annoy you when I point that out? Sorry!

If it annoyed me, I'd just delete your post.

For the time being, Duncan has to change the top banner when the features change.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Proof that something doesn't have to be loud and ultra-aggressive to be dark and heavy. Love it.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I forget which is the Camel sound alike track, but that one gave me a big kick too, and I remember Akerfeldt saying something at one of the shows that it was a rip-off of Camel and meant to be.
    Probably "Benighted".

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    did Opeth tour the US with P Tree BEFORE the release of Damnation? I feel like I saw them do Damnation in full AFTER the tour where they toured with P Tree.
    No, it had been out since the spring, and they played it for the first time live in the summer. Here's the show I saw:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/...-23d4e0a7.html
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Can't believe this album is 10 years old already. Love this one, and pretty much my gateway album into Opeth. The tour was great too with Porcupine Tree opening.

Steve Sly

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, the chorus from "To Rid The Disease" came from the song Mordet i Grottan ("Murder In The Cave") from Mikael's side project Sörskogen.

http://hem.bredband.net/frisun/Sorsk..._i_Grottan.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, the chorus from "To Rid The Disease" came from the song Mordet i Grottan ("Murder In The Cave") from Mikael's side project Sörskogen.

http://hem.bredband.net/frisun/Sorsk..._i_Grottan.mp3
    Never heard of that project before, and I'm really digging the song you linked. Thanks, man!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I love Opeth but honestly their mellow and acoustic side is a bit formulaic. I regard Deliverance and Ghost Reveries as their masterpieces, mostly because the great combination of the mellow and the harsh.
    I'd change your choices to Still Life and Blackwater Park but basically we are on the same page. Damnation sends me to sleep every time.

I've sampled Opeth off and on for years. I just played the three tracks above. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this band is so popular here. I mean, if folks like them it's fine with me, but these tracks are straightforward verse, chorus, guitar solo rock songs. Pretty pedestrian stuff, even the one with the little groove in six. Sorry to be the nay-sayer, and by all means like them if you like them, but I scratch my head how music like this wound up under the same "big tent" as classic Yes, Genesis, KC and ELP. To me, it is an indication the tent is too big.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why this band is so popular here. I mean, if folks like them it's fine with me, but these tracks are straightforward verse, chorus, guitar solo rock songs.
    Yikes, man. Not everything can be Moog solos, capes and 20 minute songs about armadillo tank monsters.

I do enjoy this record lots, but still think (and it's the same with Heritage) that something is seriously lost from the band's dynamic when the "cookie monster" ain't around. Those two albums always felt as though something was missing....and it didn't have to be the growling, just some other compositional level to stop it feeling like Opeth with the death metal sections cut out. Anyway, still a great album.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Troopers For Sound View Post
    Those two albums always felt as though something was missing....and it didn't have to be the growling, just some other compositional level to stop it feeling like Opeth with the death metal sections cut out.

Matt.
    Would it help to think of Heritage as coming from a different band? Heritage was my introduction to the band, so now I'm working backward. I have Damnation, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries, and I find something different to like on all of them. I can see it all as the same band and don't have expectations for them, but I'm approaching it from a very different perspective from that of a long-time fan.

The only Opeth I have any time for. It’s like producer Steven Wilson encouraged them to sound more like his band, only Opeth do it better. Kind of like the soft parts to Anekdoten albums all strung together, or like I imagined Landberk would have sounded like before I actually heard them (Again, Opeth do it better).

Please don’t recommend any of their cookie monster albums to me. I’ve already heard enough of Still Life and Blackwater Park to know that I’d hate them. I think there may be some truth to the above “umbrella is too big” comment (I tried to listen to Edge of Sanity’s Crimson album. Whatever that is, I would definitely not call it “prog”).

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Carrousel”-Terpandre

I really like this album but I think Ghost Reveries is a superior album. To anyone who thinks that they need to segregate the growler (beer reference here?) vocal music from the straight vocals is missing the point entirely. I am drawn to Opeth and am still bemused by them. I don't know enough to have a valid opinion but do have my favorites. For some reason I listened to Watershed more than the rest- I believe they fed into my dreams with this album; I am besotted by it. Some of the early albums are classic but were before my time. I need to visit with them and contemplate their genius. I really appreciated the Roundhouse live album for its raw take on their catalogue and Akerfelt's attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've sampled Opeth off and on for years. I just played the three tracks above. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this band is so popular here. I mean, if folks like them it's fine with me, but these tracks are straightforward verse, chorus, guitar solo rock songs. Pretty pedestrian stuff, even the one with the little groove in six. Sorry to be the nay-sayer, and by all means like them if you like them, but I scratch my head how music like this wound up under the same "big tent" as classic Yes, Genesis, KC and ELP. To me, it is an indication the tent is too big.

Bill
    Learn to play some of the guitar parts on these songs and get back with me.
    Love this album, straightforward verse, chorus, guitar solo rock songs or not.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Progbear, thanks for mentioning Landberk. I meant to. Definitely sounds a bit lik Landberk too.

I too prefer Opeth when they have.some.death metal vocals, though no for this album.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Learn to play some of the guitar parts on these songs and get back with me.
    OK, getting back to you. Learned the first song above in one pass. Simple as pie. No more complex than a Nirvana tune. Again, not saying it's "bad" or anything, but still scratching my head why this gets "Prog" cred while so much other simplistic rock doesn't (hello Metallica). Must be it's dark mood and that it's from Sweden, where everything is "Prog."

Bill

This is pretty good although it drags on a little bit. I treat the metal stuff as a joke though

My favorite Opeth album.

There isnt a bad Opeth album or song in their entire career, but Damnation is easily my top 3 favorite albums by them. Blackwater Park, Still Life, and Damnation are the albums I mostly mention when speaking of Opeth. The mellow and relaxing feeling this album gives the listener is rare in most Rock music today. Its an album with intense emotion, experimentation, and it was a daring thing to do for a Metal band. They recorded this album side by side with Deliverance, and from the Making of Damnation documentary on the Lamentations DVD, it seems the 2 albums almost ended the band. But theyre still at it 10 years later, give or take the lineup changes between 2005 to 2007.

I love Opeth heavy or mellow, and Damnation was their mellow side in it's entirety. Now what I dont understand is why some people bash Opeth, like Sputnik for example. The complaint is that the songs are in verse, chorus fashion, yet a lot of Progressive music is including the bands like Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson.... Thats no excuse to hate a song or band. What is there not to like if you're a Prog Rock fan when it comes to mellow Opeth? Now if youre not a fan of Death Metal, I can understand people's hatred for the heavier aspects of Opeth. But Opeth as a Prog Rock/Metal band is a damn good one, and one of the most unique bands to ever exist in Metal/Prog music. Seriously, who sounds like Opeth? Even the bands who are inspired by them fall horribly short of their creativity and sound as a band. Opeth made it okay in Extreme Metal music to branch out, experiment, and accept other genres of music. Not everything has to be brutal and harsh!

Again, people will like what they like, and Opeth has tons of fans for a good reason! Theyre a brilliant band! When it comes to Metal, they write beautifully constructed and epic ideas, and also blend them with Progressive, acoustic, and mellow ideas what seems like effortlessly. Opeth even has a sound of their own in Metal, the guitar playing and arrangements are melodic and very different than any Metal Ive heard before Opeth! In a genre like Progressive Rock, a lot of bands fall into the ELP, Yes, Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd sort of categories, but Opeth falls into a style of their own! I will never understand how a Prog Rock fan can take an album like Damnation and bash on it, when it has a direct inspiration from bands of the 1970's such as Camel, King Crimson, and Pink Floyd! Great album, brilliant band!
    Jason Weckerle

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jweckerle

Ivory Forest Myspace music page: www.myspace.com/ivoryforest1
    New updates are being made to the myspace page, but soon new music will be uploaded, and the page will be up and going again!