Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camembert 's 2nd album "Negative Toe" crowdfunding campaign : 50% reached

Regarding the forthcoming vinyl version, it seems the proper album would fit nicely across three album sides of 18-20 min each. Is the plan to leave the fourth side blank, or might there be some bonus material (live tracks or demos) to include on the fourth side?

Hah! The CD is mine! ALL MINE!!!!

Now to level the neighbourhood. We'll see how those little schnorgl bastards like the feel of 250w/channel into eight ohms.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hah! The CD is mine! ALL MINE!!!!

Now to level the neighbourhood. We'll see how those little schnorgl bastards like the feel of 250w/channel into eight ohms.
    The brass will kill the field

The vinyl version is already manufactured, I have seen copies but do not own one. I don’t think there is any extra material on it.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    The vinyl version is already manufactured, I have seen copies but do not own one. I don’t think there is any extra material on it.
    Autobuy - even if it's a triple vinyl with the same material

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Autobuy - even if it's a triple vinyl with the same material
    Concerning the Lp here is how it is done

A
    1-Orteil Negatif
    2- Fécondée
    B
    Gros Bouquin
    C
    The Lament Of profesor Frankenschnörgl
    D
    Skwitch
    El Pulpo

The cover was designed for a gatefold LP!
    If you want a sigend one send us a mail at camembert67@gmail.com
    If you were a contributor we'll make it cheaper for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Regarding the forthcoming vinyl version, it seems the proper album would fit nicely across three album sides of 18-20 min each. Is the plan to leave the fourth side blank, or might there be some bonus material (live tracks or demos) to include on the fourth side?
    Yes there are no bonus material sorry! But we are studying a Lp reissue of the first album and more surprises soon....

This record is glorious. It turned January into May.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by pwawrzyn View Post
    Concerning the Lp here is how it is done

A
    1-Orteil Negatif
    2- Fécondée
    B
    Gros Bouquin
    C
    The Lament Of profesor Frankenschnörgl
    D
    Skwitch
    El Pulpo

The cover was designed for a gatefold LP!
    If you want a sigend one send us a mail at camembert67@gmail.com
    If you were a contributor we'll make it cheaper for you!
    I am not a contributor and I am definitely not rich, but I am buying! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am not a contributor and I am definitely not rich, but I am buying! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for the music.
    Yess! were watching how to send this at the cheapest price!

Meanwhile here is a spanish langage review

http://autopoietican.blogspot.fr/201...del-avant.html

Yess! were watching how to send this at the cheapest price!

Meanwhile here is a spanish langage review

http://autopoietican.blogspot.fr/201...del-avant.html
    Let us know when the vinyl is out. I have already bought the digital version from Bandcamp, since I didn't know there would be a vinyl (I am one of the weirdos who don't care about CDs a lot...)

Here is a video of The Lament of Profesor Frankenschnörgl, played live at La Casa Di Alex, Milano, December 16th.

This is how we sound live nowadays!

Hope you'll like it!
    The line up is
    - Adrien Arnaud / Trumpet, percussions
    - Lela Frite / Voice, invocations
    - Guillaume Gravelin (aka Harpus) / Harp
    - Pierre Wawrzyniak (aka W-Cheese) / Bass, acoustic guitar
    - Juliette Blum / Trombone, percussions
    - Fabrice Toussaint (aka Fab aka Slipman) / Drums, percussions, arrangements
    - Valentin Metz / Guitars, bass
    - Clarissa Imperatore / Vibraphone, xylophone, percussions

Good Morning Folks!

I can see myself enjoying, from a stageside view, Camembert on the ProgDay
    stage! Thanks for the clip and best to you with the release and band overall.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 01-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.

So I received my CD today and gave it a first spin tonight. I was certainly enjoying it early on. Very Zappa-esque, lighthearted but sill complex musical excursions. I'm not a big Zappa fan, but I like what Camembert does because it feels like there's more stylistic consistency and it's not so "all over the place" as much of Zappa's stuff is to me.

Anyway, the album is trotting merrily along, and then suddenly it feels like the whole mood changes. I can't pinpoint exactly where this happened, being a first listen and I wasn't monitoring the tracks. But I'd say it was somewhere at or after the midpoint, maybe the last third of the album. It somehow gets darker and more "serious." Obviously I'll be listening again to see if I have the same experience, but I was really taken with the latter part of this album. Maybe the juxtaposition of approaches made that part stand out to me, but it definitely grabbed me on this first listen.

Anyway, really good album that I'm looking forward to exploring more. I'm glad I contributed to their crowdfunding campaign, the end product is definitely more than worth the investment!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Anyway, the album is trotting merrily along, and then suddenly it feels like the whole mood changes. I can't pinpoint exactly where this happened, being a first listen and I wasn't monitoring the tracks. But I'd say it was somewhere at or after the midpoint, maybe the last third of the album. It somehow gets darker and more "serious."
    It's probably the second-to-last track, "Skwitch." It has an almost U.Zero-ish intensity to it.

The first track (title track) starts out in a very "Waka Jawaka" mood, before transitioning to a more droney/electronic sound with talking/radio broadcasts in the background.

#2 "Fécondée par un Extra-Terrestre" presents some moderno big band sounds like Isildurs Band or Ed Palermo.

#3 "Gros Boquin" reminds me of Pekka Pohjola with some fast fusion jazz riffs.

#4 "The Lament of Dr. Frankenschnörgl" features singing over a light chamber-instrument fabric. Henry Cow or Art Bears might be a reference.

#5 "Skwitch" is where things turn a little more ominous and Zeroey. Deliciously rich and sinful.

#6 "El Pulpo" is neo-orchestral, with some pretty serious Harp work -- followed by a long droney coda with foghorns and seagulls.

Yes, I think you're right, it was probably Skwitch and to some extent that last track as well. It was definitely after the vocal piece that the mood change occurred, so that would make sense. I'll obviously be listening more in the days/weeks to come.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Yes, I think you're right, it was probably Skwitch and to some extent that last track as well. It was definitely after the vocal piece that the mood change occurred, so that would make sense. I'll obviously be listening more in the days/weeks to come.

Bill
    Thank you guys for your kind words!
    Yes the second part of the album is less fun and gets darker. Skwitch is the story of the destruction of the Cathedral of Strasbourg by a rebel cybernetic elephant in the future. It was composed mainly by Guillaume Gravelin, our harp player, who is a big fan of contemporary music and rio. The end of the track features a huge guitar+ vibraphone theme that we mixed very loud in order to fit to textures we heard in Henry Cow's Living In The Heart Of The Beast!
    You hear screams at the end: its people running in the streets who gets smashed by the elephant.

Frightening uh?

Skwitch is the story of the destruction of the Cathedral of Strasbourg by a rebel cybernetic elephant in the future...

Frightening uh?
    Yes, this was exactly what I was picturing in my head when I heard the track. Except I thought it was Freiburg Cathedral.

Looking at the liner notes, I know see all the tunes have little stories like this. I'll keep that with me on my next spin . Fun stuff!

Bill

Enjoying the music, but also thankful for the little stickers that came with the CD. Now my water bottle won't get mixed up with anyone else's.
    Negative Toe sticker.JPG

Dear friends,

we made an 8 minute trailer video presenting some extracts of the album.
    Enjoy!

Camembert on front cover of Highlands magazine n°89!

We are so proud!

Highlands magazine89.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Enjoying the music, but also thankful for the little stickers that came with the CD. Now my water bottle won't get mixed up with anyone else's.
    Negative Toe sticker.JPG
    So cool! Does your water have a cheese taste now?

Just back from Camembert's gig in Strasbourg, following a week's residency where they had a chance to upgrade the level of both their musical performance and, especially, showmanship. Great stuff, including material from the newest release and, as in other recent concerts, a long excerpt from their upcoming magnum opus about the Spanish civil war. [Update: Forgot to mention... The set also included the revised arrangement of "Bernard L'Hermite" from 2009's "Clacosmique" EP, the only 'big' track on that not to have been re-recorded for "Schnorgl Attahk"]

After the show, noticing that several ex-members were present, I took the opportunity to gather all members past and present who were in the vicinity. The result is below :

L-R : Clarissa Imperatore (current mallet percussionist), Adrien Arnaud (current trumpet player), Philémon Walter (former drummer), Guillaume Gravelin (harp), Fabrice Toussaint (current drummer/former mallet percussionist & trombone player), Pierre Wawrzyniak (bass & main composer), Vincent Sexauer (former guitarist), Mélanie Gerber (lead vocalist), Juliette Blum (current trombone player), Valentin Metz (current guitarist) & Bertrand Eber (former trumpet player)
    Last edited by calyx; 03-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.

^^ Great photo! It's nice you were able to take an opportunity like that and capture it.

These guys and gals are the real deal. I love their music.