Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for Pekka Pohjola fans: Verneri Pohjola's "Pekka" album released today!

for Pekka Pohjola fans: Verneri Pohjola's "Pekka" album released today!

Greetings,

Verneri Pohjola--trumpeter, composer, and son of the late great bassist/composer Pekka Pohjola--just released an album of his father's compositions, in significantly reinterpreted (and jazzier) form. As a pre-sale purchaser on Bandcamp, I was able to download the (24-bit/44.1k) FLAC files this morning and gave the album a thorough first listen this morning--and have to say that, in addition to being quite wonderful all the way through, I'd really consider it a must for any serious fan/collector of Pekka Pohjola's music. The album, simply entitled Pekka, can be streamed and/or purchased (in digital form or on CD) here:

http://verneripohjolamusic.bandcamp.com

Those already familiar with Verneri's style, along with his attention to sonic detail, should be particularly thrilled with the release. In any case, I definitely encourage giving the album a listen--especially if you're a big fan of Pekka's music (as I am).

Best wishes and have a great weekend,

Alan

Thanks man - will definitely listen to this. Cheers -

I bought this today. Quite nice. I also saw Verneri Pohjola doing similar kind of set live at Viapori Jazz Festival last summer in Helsinki's fortress island Suomenlinna.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I will also be checking this out for sure. Thanks, Alan!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Acquired

thank you!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Listened to most of it online @ Bandcamp. Nice stuff! Not sure I need it IN ADDITION TO the original Pekka versions, but it's a nice tribute to his dad. Let's hope he hasn't got siblings who will sue him for using his dad's music.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Listened to most of it online @ Bandcamp. Nice stuff! Not sure I need it IN ADDITION TO the original Pekka versions, but it's a nice tribute to his dad. Let's hope he hasn't got siblings who will sue him for using his dad's music.
    Well Verneri has two brothers (Ilmari plays trombone) but I don't think there is going to be any legal problems
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

The local paper's today's supplement had an article on Verneri and Ilmari Pohjola talking about their growing up and their somewhat ambivalent relationship with their father, who for many reasons, alcohol being one of them, was not the most hands-on father in the world. However, Verneri mentions that Pekka's music is one area where he can appreciate his father without any reservation. Both boys played on Views, and from what they said at the time, they felt they could have done much better work and were hoping to work again with their father. They really didn't get the chance, and Pekka's downward spiral during his last years is still obviously a sore point.

So I think this is really Verneri making a heartfelt tribute to his father's work and perhaps doing what he would have liked to have done with Pekka, rather than any attempt to cash in on the legacy. And no, I don't think anyone is going to take the Zappa route here, certainly not Ilmari.

Greetings,

Glad to see that some folks here have been enjoying the music as well. Having gotten to know some of Verneri's original repertoire, I find the new album a very interesting blend of his musical sensibilities and that of his father's. (The mastery and subtleties of Pekka's compositions really shine through and are leveraged in interesting and intriguing ways, IMO.)

Thanks for relating the info from today's newspaper supplement, Kai. I never really knew much about the relationship between Pekka and his children, aside from the small amount of studio work they did together and a brief discussion with Verneri when we met for coffee back in March. (He's a really nice guy, by the way.) For those who didn't know, Pekka also played bass on at least one or two tracks of Verneri's first album, Aurora, which I believe represented Pekka's last studio recording--and the album is dedicated to him as well. Also, for what it's worth, I get a very strong sense that the new album is a very sincere tribute (and nothing more). On a related note, though, I think it's also one of those albums that could do a lot to bridge the gap between prog and jazz worlds--and in a way I don't hear very often.

All the best,

Alan

Thanks for the extra tidbits guys.

Also being released next week is a 2-cd/2-lp version of Pohjola's supergroup project "The Group" from 1978. Includes an extra disc of a studio session of The Group with an orchestra, along with a couple album outtakes. Great stuff, with Olli Ahvenlahti and Seppo Tyni.

https://www.svartrecords.com/product...#the-group-2cd

Has it ever been mentioned how Pohjola actually died? I don't want to dig up any dirt, but it always seemed to be clouded in mystery. All I was able to figure was that he died of alcoholism (whatever that means.)

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    he died of alcoholism (whatever that means.)
    Well, I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but my sister-in-law died from alcoholism. It's the result of prolonged abuse, and isn't the same thing as alcohol poisoning, which is a single event. The internal organs are damaged to the point of shutting down or bleeding to death internally.

Also being released next week is a 2-cd/2-lp version of Pohjola's supergroup project "The Group" from 1978. Includes an extra disc of a studio session of The Group with an orchestra, along with a couple album outtakes. Great stuff, with Olli Ahvenlahti and Seppo Tyni.

Has it ever been mentioned how Pohjola actually died? I don't want to dig up any dirt, but it always seemed to be clouded in mystery. All I was able to figure was that he died of alcoholism (whatever that means.)
    That Group album looks interesting, but well, I love everyting Pekka Pohjola was involved in. To bad, th stuff is often so hard to obtain.

This is great news! Autobuy for me.

My pleasure. Thanks for the heads-up on the new double-CD/double-LP reissue of The Group album too. Although I already have the album on both LP and CD, the second disc sounds too intriguing to pass up. (Plus it's hard to turn down any missing item in my Pekka Pohjola discography.)

I sort of assumed that most folks here knew about Pekka's tragic death (in late 2008). Without getting into any further detail, I can confirm that you are correct about alcoholism being directly related. He was among the most influential musical figures in my life, as well as friend, so his passing still affects me quite deeply.

Best wishes,

Alan

Listening to a track of the Group album and it sounds great, as if I woud have expected anything else. Put it on my wishlist and hope it will be available in the webshop I tend to use.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    it's also one of those albums that could do a lot to bridge the gap between prog and jazz worlds--and in a way I don't hear very often.
    I'd agree with this. I like the blend of tones.. modern acoustic jazz in spots, retro 70s synth-prog in others, but combined in a way that feels natural. I think it stands as an enjoyable piece on its own (speaking as someone who'd never heard of either Pohjola before listening to the album).

Sounds really nice!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Right up my alley, I have ordered the CD. Thanks very much for the tip Alan.

Allan,
    Thanks for the H.U.!!
    Great piece of music/tribute IMHO!

Posted by AdventAlan:
    "it's also one of those albums that could do a lot to bridge the gap between prog and jazz worlds--and in a way I don't hear very often".

Agree 100%.

Ordered too!

Regards.
    Tomas.

Ordered the Verneri Pohjola CD yesterday. The Group I've only found on vinyl for a very high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Ordered the Verneri Pohjola CD yesterday. The Group I've only found on vinyl for a very high price.
    The CD version will be released on June 30th.

Pohjola was found calmly sitting on his armchair that morning, so perhaps it was a relatively painless death...
    Internal organs (specifically his heart) shut down, sounds like. He was only 56. "Those who burn twice as bright only burn half as long" or something like that.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-25-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    The CD version will be released on June 30th.
    Then I have to wait. The store states it is out of sale. But if it is something from Pekka Pohjola, I'm very patient. It took some years before I finally got Live in Helsinki and Tokyo. At this moment I'm waiting for The Espoo Big Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Then I have to wait. The store states it is out of sale. But if it is something from Pekka Pohjola, I'm very patient. It took some years before I finally got Live in Helsinki and Tokyo. At this moment I'm waiting for The Espoo Big Band.
    The Espoo Big Band album is great! Well worth the wait.