Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bill Simmons Column on PEDs: Must Read!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Again, I don't think the NFL will be losing any lawsuits anytime soon.
    Maybe you are right that they would not be losing any lawsuits. They will be settling out of court.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Maybe you are right that they would not be losing any lawsuits. They will be settling out of court.
    There are about 140 lawsuits involving 3300 ex-NFL players ...

Let me go out on a limb and bet that all 140 of those lawsuits won't be dismissed.

Also, since 2007, the NFL has distributed close to 20 million gettings ex-players to enroll in the "88 Plan." They get 100k a year coverage in medical expenses if hospitalized and 88k if living at home.

Maybe you guys are right. I probably have too much faith in our justice system. They did rule in favor of that idiot old lady a settlement when she spilled hot coffee, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

with each league paying lip service to the "self-righteous," as Vic likes to call anyone who actually cares about integrity in athletics.
    Scott, I don't remember what we were talking about on that other thread when I called you guys a bunch of self-righteous phonies, but I don't think it was about PEDs. But either way, you're entitled to your opinions. You (and a couple others) just come off very judgemental sometimes. Maybe it's my issue and my perception is all screwed up, but I just sense a superior attitude sometimes and it burns my butt. Maybe I'm just older and more cynical. I shouldn't let it rankle me so much but it does. From here on out I'll avoid these topics with you. If I've been antagnositic, I apologize. You have a right to your opinions without some member always picking a fight with you.

I've stated my opinion about PEDs and sports on other threads so I don't have anything to add here. I'll just say my 2 cents worth as always. All sports are dirty. All competitive sports, professional, amature, etc. are dirty. There is no integrity in competitive sports today (and probably never). It's not just the NFL, NBA, MLB, it also includes the Olympics, the World Cup, etc. The world would a better place without PEDs (and guns, poverty, crime, etc.) but PEDs aren't going away. So my thinking is, if I call myself a man of integrity then I should stop watching all big league professional sports altogether and just watch women's collegiate softball, basketball and soccer (or Pee Wee leagues). Or, just look at it as pure entertainment. It's nothing important to me. I don't buy tickets to go see NBA games or NFL games, so I'm not enabling anyone. I just watch the games on TV and that's it.

Where we agree Scott, is that $$$$$$$ is what's driving highly competitive sports leagues. I just don't ever see PEDs going away. Even if all sports were somehow cleaned up there'd always be some mad scientist in some lab cooking up some new substance that won't be detected, and atheletes will take it to get an edge, or just to stay competitive. There is no integrity in sports (imo), it's just pure entertainment to me. We haven't even gotten into the gambling aspect of all this either. So PEDs + gambling in sports = no integrity.

A couple years ago I tried to get into UFC/MMA. It seemed to be the new rage in boxing for a while so I started watching it. After a couple months I couldn't stand it anymore. I tried watching a match at a sportsbar last weekend and I could barely watch it (there was nothing else on). I'm amazed that there haven't been groups of people organizing protests to have that sport banned. It is, without a doubt, the most barbaric sport I've ever seen that is so popular in this country. Where is the integrity in MMA? I say none. And you gotta know that these fighters are on all sorts of drugs. I'm amazed that there aren't people dying regularly from roundhouse kicks to the face, and being pounded into a lump of raw hamburger.

There's a lot more I could say about "integrity" in sports and all that but I just don't want to get into all this negative shit. I'd rather talk about music.

Great article.

A couple of things really stood out. This:
    "Anyone with a public forum should feel a certain responsibility to the greater good, whether you have a blog, a column, a podcast, a radio show or a steady TV gig."

We accept all sorts of things now that we shouldn't. Everyone can express themselves to millions of people in seconds. No consideration to grammar, spelling, racial or sexual or gender sensitivity--just whatever stupid thing enters a person's mind is instantly available for everyone to see. That's a scary thing.

And this:
    "What's the difference between taking HGH and Toradol, anyway? What does the word "performance enhancer" really mean? It's OK to borrow a dead person's ligament to regain your 95-mph fastball, but it's not OK to boost your testosterone for those same results? It's OK to travel to Germany to inject stem cells into your damaged knee to stimulate recovery and regeneration, but it's not OK to replace your blood with better blood to increase your stamina?"

In the baseball thread, I argued that greenies (amphetamines) were just as much a PED as steroids and HGH. I still believe that, and I believe that Toradol needs to be put right up there too. I saw a piece on Real Sports last year documenting its use, and everyone uses it in the NFL. Numbed, 'roided up, oxygenated and overinflated, today's NFL players are hurtling themselves head first at each other because they can't feel anything.

This was the first Super Bowl in a long time that I didn't watch. I'm starting to feel apathetic about the NFL. Of course, it's stupid to think that NHL and MLB players are any cleaner.

Scott is right. The sports won't be clean as long as $$$ is involved.

Bill Simmons is right. We are collectively sticking our heads into the sand to ignore it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I just don't ever see PEDs going away.
    They've always been there. Dozens of players in the HOF in the NFL were 'roided up in the '70s. Dozens of baseball players are in the HOF who were taking speed every day during the '60s and '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    They've always been there. .
    Of course they have. It doesn't make it right, but they ain't going away. That's why I keep saying, you either decide not to watch sports at all, or just take it as pure entertainment and you keep your integrity.

They've always been there. Dozens of players in the HOF in the NFL were 'roided up in the '70s. Dozens of baseball players are in the HOF who were taking speed every day during the '60s and '70s.
    "Speed" has very little place in the conversation, IMO. I'm always surprised that people equate taking "greenies" with PEDs. There aren't even in the same ballpark. Taking an Amphetamine may be "wrong" or even argued to "enhance performance," but to compare guys taking that stuff in the 60s with guys taking stuff to put on 20 pounds of muscle mass in six months is just not logic I can follow.

^But that was Simmons' point. Where does the performance enhancing line get drawn? And if it's illegal performance enhancing, then what does it matter the extent to which the performance is enhanced?

^But that was Simmons' point. Where does the performance enhancing line get drawn? And if it's illegal performance enhancing, then what does it matter the extent to which the performance is enhanced?
    Yeah, and I guess the point is that if we talked openly about this stuff we could have some opinions voiced and then discussed about what the "lines" actually are.

But people who defend steroid users in baseball by talking about "greenies" are well of the mark, IMO.

Oh look, it's David Stern throwing fans a bone after the recent Bill Simmons column. Yeah, I'm sure Turkoglu is juicing but "star" players never touch the stuff.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/89...-positive-test