Thread: New band with Robert Berry (3) and Gary Pihl (Boston)

New band with Robert Berry (3) and Gary Pihl (Boston)

Robert Berry of "3" (with Emerson and Palmer) and Gary Pihl of Boston have a new band called "All 41":

Thanks for posting. I just saw Phil with Boston last year and he was great. Always liked Berry's "Pilgrimage To A Point" album too, but had no clue about this project.

Good song, but is there really any chance this 1980s retro stuff could possibly sell?

I wonder sometimes how the Frontiers business model works. They have some bands like Asia and Yes that are big enough to still move some plastic, even after all these years. But they also did the new Circa, which is a good CD but very much a niche product, they did Yoso, and now this. Not sure how they can possibly recoup on a lot of these efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Good song, but is there really any chance this 1980s retro stuff could possibly sell?

I wonder sometimes how the Frontiers business model works. They have some bands like Asia and Yes that are big enough to still move some plastic, even after all these years. But they also did the new Circa, which is a good CD but very much a niche product, they did Yoso, and now this. Not sure how they can possibly recoup on a lot of these efforts.
    So what would you suggest? All these musicians stop making new music? Or only make crappy "modern rock", like those outfits David Letterman had on his show the last decade or so he was on the air? Or maybe you think they should go urban make hip hop records, kinda like how Ethel Merman and Cab Calloway made disco records during the late 70's.

Can't really watch the vids here, but is this just the December People under a different name?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So what would you suggest? All these musicians stop making new music? Or only make crappy "modern rock", like those outfits David Letterman had on his show the last decade or so he was on the air? Or maybe you think they should go urban make hip hop records, kinda like how Ethel Merman and Cab Calloway made disco records during the late 70's.
    Robert and Gary can do any of the above if they wish; that is up to them. I think it was pretty clear from my message that I was not criticizing an artistic choice.

My only interest was in the business side. Frontiers seems like a classy label, who put out attractive product and don't seem to skimp on costs to do so. While I understand how they could work with Yes or Asia and still make a profit in these hard times for the music biz, I'm very curious how they could see breaking even with a product like this or Circa, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Robert and Gary can do any of the above if they wish; that is up to them. I think it was pretty clear from my message that I was not criticizing an artistic choice.

My only interest was in the business side. Frontiers seems like a classy label, who put out attractive product and don't seem to skimp on costs to do so. While I understand how they could work with Yes or Asia and still make a profit in these hard times for the music biz, I'm very curious how they could see breaking even with a product like this or Circa, for that matter.
    Who knows? Maybe they're deliberately putting out records that "won't sell" so they can write it off on their taxes. (shrug) Or maybe each of the cited records are selling just enough to warrant continuing to release such records.

“Who Knows” lyric video:

Audio of "Cyanide":

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Actually, a new band name and album title have just been announced:

Pihl-Berry -- "Doughboy"

Excellent band name!