Thread: Ambrosia touring?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ambrosia touring?

Just noticed Ambrosia is playing BB King's this Thursday. If anyone sees them (at any show) give us a report!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just noticed Ambrosia is playing BB King's this Thursday. If anyone sees them (at any show) give us a report!
    Ambrosia tours pretty regularly. They just played my hometown a couple of months ago as opening act for The Little River Band. I did not go though so can’t review.

I'm not sure "tour" is the right way to describe it. Every year they play dates, but its not like they are solidly touring. Its more like a few dates here and there. Although if they are opening for LRB, maybe they are doing a proper tour. They are playing a free concert in Cincinnati in July. This will be their 4th time doing it over the last 7 or 8 years. I've seen them all 3 previous times and they were great, looking forward to this one too (I think its Friday, July 14th).

Saw Ambrosia last night. Once again, they played at the Sycamore Township Festival in Cincinnati (this must be at least the 5th time they've played there over the past 10 years). Rained all morning so the field was somewhat damp, but it was a beautiful night for a concert. Ambrosia came out at 9:25 and played for about 1 hour 45 minutes. Their current lineup is Puerta, Drummond, North, longtime guitarist Doug Jackson, new vocalist Ken Stacey and Drummond's wife, Mary Harris, on keys and backing vocals. Was not a fan of their new singer and he sang more than his share of the vocals because Puerta just wasn't able to hit the high notes like he used to. Overall, good concert but not the best show I've seen. I won't post the setlist as its available here but a couple of interesting surprises thrown in: Rock in a Hard Place, World Leave Me Alone funked up and played with a Stevie Wonder song, and several Beatles songs. The Brunt was probably the highlight.

I saw them last year. Solidly played the best known songs as part of the Yacht Rock Revue. They were the only band besides the main band of young guys dressed like they're from the 70's and had Robbie Dupree and Matthew Wilder. Would be amazing if Pack ever rejoined. They're 3/4 of the way there.

Saw them a year ago at a free outdoor town summer concert. They mostly played the old, prog stuff. I think a large part of the crowd was disappointed by my daughters and myself are fans of their first 2-3 albums and they didn't disappoint. In fact, we were the only people who knew the hand claps on Time Waits For No One.

After the show we met the band and they signed t-shirts for us. I asked why they didn't do the hand claps on stage and they laughed, saying it was too damn hard. My girls were high fiving and told them they had them down pat.

Good show.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Just how different is Puerta's voice these days? And if it is not as good, how are they covering that? Their biggest hits really feature it..in fact you couldn't really tell how much chops the rest of the band had, those hits are so poppy.

It's Pack who had the high voice and handled the lion's share of the leads no?