Thread: Adult Swim-The Venture Brothers talk Prog.

Adult Swim-The Venture Brothers talk Prog.

Hilarious

Perfect parody of the music too
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

You're only just now finding about this?! That was like eight years ago!

And that's not even the best music thing on that show. There's a long running series of jokes relating to David Bowie, including numerous allusions to his music, his acting career (Dean Venture refers to him as "That man from Labyrinth" in one episode), and even his wife gets mentioned once. They even have a character in the most recent season who was a super villain version of Andy Warhol (who was portrayed by Bowie in a movie back in the 90's).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-26-2017 at 10:11 PM.

On the animated series Archer there's a long-running joke of the character Krieger's obsession with Rush.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I remember losing it when Dr Venture shooed Dean away from "Court of the Crimson King".

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    I remember losing it when Dr Venture shooed Dean away from "Court of the Crimson King".
    I lost it when Henchman 24 chided Henchman 21 for liking ChangesOneBowie. "Could you be a bigger poseur?! Changes is a best of!".

Also, loved it when either Watch or Ward (hard to tell them apart) told the Sovereign that Hours was very underrated. Then when he pops in his human form, he says "But don't you think it was too little too late". "That was Tin Machine, Sir!", is how the henchman replies.

When Hank answers the telephone with "Bula venaka, Beachside!", that was another favorite moment.

Flying Squid complaining about all the money he pays to live in a gated community, "and someone blasts a Mike Oldfield album?! What's next?! Pink Floyd?!".

The scene where Hank gets into an argument at the movie theater when the Monarch's henchmen show up, is hilarious too. "You're trying to ruin my cinematic experience, and that totally counts as arching!"

Honestly, if all you guys have seen of this show is the clip in the OP, you're seriously missing out. It's mindboggling, some of the allusions they dredge up. I mean, honestly, who the frell even remembers "Bula venaka, Beachside"?! I almost die laughing watching each episode.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I lost it when Henchman 24 chided Henchman 21 for liking ChangesOneBowie. "Could you be a bigger poseur?! Changes is a best of!".

Also, loved it when either Watch or Ward (hard to tell them apart) told the Sovereign that Hours was very underrated. Then when he pops in his human form, he says "But don't you think it was too little too late". "That was Tin Machine, Sir!", is how the henchman replies.

When Hank answers the telephone with "Bula venaka, Beachside!", that was another favorite moment.

Flying Squid complaining about all the money he pays to live in a gated community, "and someone blasts a Mike Oldfield album?! What's next?! Pink Floyd?!".

The scene where Hank gets into an argument at the movie theater when the Monarch's henchmen show up, is hilarious too. "You're trying to ruin my cinematic experience, and that totally counts as arching!"

Honestly, if all you guys have seen of this show is the clip in the OP, you're seriously missing out. It's mindboggling, some of the allusions they dredge up. I mean, honestly, who the frell even remembers "Bula venaka, Beachside"?! I almost die laughing watching each episode.
    Agreed. VB is one of the few shows I actually go out of my way to watch. I don't have cable/satellite, so I actually pay for a subscription on Amazon.

The episode when Brock and H.E.L.P.eR. argue about Led Zeppelin is an all time high point.

To keep it on a prog level, JG Thirwell's music for the show is amazingly well done.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    Agreed. VB is one of the few shows I actually go out of my way to watch. I don't have cable/satellite, so I actually pay for a subscription on Amazon.

The episode when Brock and H.E.L.P.eR. argue about Led Zeppelin is an all time high point.

To keep it on a prog level, JG Thirwell's music for the show is amazingly well done.
    The special about Shallow Gravy, which plays like an episode of Behind The Music or Unsung, is great too.

Byron Orpheus warning everyone to stay out of the courthouse men's room was great too. "I had Taco Bell, for lunch!".

THe one with the super villain night club is great too. I love it when the Doorman addresses Augustus St. Cloud as "Truman Ca-Blow-me".

Another good one was the one with the sort of parody version of the Scooby Doo gang was great too. The Velma character is based on the woman who shot Andy Warhol (can never remember her name), Daphne is Patti Hearst, and Shaggy is the Son Of Sam (and of course, the dog only talks to Shaggy, commanding him to kill people).

It's long been one of our favourites as well as Metalocalypse. Always brilliant musically and otherwise
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

A little collection of Rush references from Archer

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here come the warm jets (a slightly different meaning from Eno's original intent):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YZaCvXceB0
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Here come the warm jets (a slightly different meaning from Eno's original intent):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YZaCvXceB0
    Another great line, when Watch is fiddling with Ward's i-Pod (or maybe it was Ward fiddling with Watch's i-Pod), "How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?!" (funny because Yaz only made two albums, actually).