Thread: Is there an online Dr Demento playlist database?

Is there an online Dr Demento playlist database?

Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of all the playlists Demento has ever done? There's one particular Star Trek parody thing that I remember hear him playing, back in 2000, and it's been driving me crazy for the last 17 years. It was like a rap thing (done by some very white sounding performers), which used the show's sound effects as the rhythm loop, with the door effect being the "one", I guess.

But since I heard this on one particular vacation (while I was in Columbus, Ohio for a music fest), I'm pretty sure I could locate the date, if such a database exists online, and therefore I could probably look it up (the reason I'm asking it here is because I just thought of this just now).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is it this?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is it this?
    No it's not, it doesn't match teh description I gave, apart from the "whitey" MC doing the vocal. As I said, the track I'm thinking of used the show's sound effects like the "computer" sounds as the rhythm loop, with the door sound being the "one". If I remember correctly, there were no drums (acoustic, digital or otherwise) and apart from the above described rhythm track, I don't think it used any samples from the show, or at least not dialog samples, anyway.

How about this one?

You guys have never watched Star Trek have you? OK maybe I'm not explaining this rhythm loop properly. You know the ambient noise on the bridge of the Enterprise, the sort of computer sound or whatever it's meant to be? That's the rhythm loop on the song I'm talking about, with the door sound (ya know the sound made when a door opens or closes) being the "one". And when I say Enterprise, I mean the NC-1707, the one from the original series, with Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Rand, Chapel, Sulu, Scott, and Chekov.

And the vocal is very goofy sounding, and very "white" (you understand what I mean by "white", don't you?), like someone who knows they don't have a chance of being a legit rapper, so they're exaggerating that for comedic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of all the playlists Demento has ever done?
    http://dmdb.org/playlists/

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Thank you. This appears to be eaxctly what I'm looking for.

Google is your friend.

OK, it seems I had two different tracks, that were played during the same broadcast mixed up. The one with the door effect being used as the downbeat is something called Star Trek Life by Sudden Death. I suppose it would have helped if Had remember it was a parody of Hard Knock Life from Annie, huh? I just remember thinking it was hilarious someone had used the sound effects as a rhythm loop like that.

The one with the goofy white guy vocal is What's Up Spock by The Great Luke Ski, which uses the original series tricorder effect intermittently throughout the song, but not the ambient bridge or door effects. He's apparently done at least two versions of the song, because the one on Youtube has verses about all the live action Star Trek shows, including Enterprise, which I don't think had started airing when I heard the broadcast in question (Memorial Day weekend 2000, hey, that means it was almost exactly 17 years ago!).

Mystery solved. And it only took me 17 years to figure out that there's probably a setlist database out there someplace.

You guys have never watched Star Trek have you? OK maybe I'm not explaining this rhythm loop properly. You know the ambient noise on the bridge of the Enterprise, the sort of computer sound or whatever it's meant to be? That's the rhythm loop on the song I'm talking about, with the door sound (ya know the sound made when a door opens or closes) being the "one". And when I say Enterprise, I mean the NC-1707, the one from the original series, with Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Rand, Chapel, Sulu, Scott, and Chekov.

And the vocal is very goofy sounding, and very "white" (you understand what I mean by "white", don't you?), like someone who knows they don't have a chance of being a legit rapper, so they're exaggerating that for comedic effect.
    Your response is pretty snippy considering what I posted was ANOTHER Star Trek rap song using sound effects from the show rapped by a white guy that was played on Dr Demento several times.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Your response is pretty snippy considering what I posted was ANOTHER Star Trek rap song using sound effects from the show rapped by a white guy that was played on Dr Demento several times.
    Except the one you posted used the sound effects as accents, more like a drum fill at the end of a stanza or something, rather than as the rhythm loop. And I don't think I heard the door effect on the one you posted either.

And yes, I suppose i was pretty a bit snippy, but it seemed to me like nobody was reading the full description I posted (which happens a lot around here), so can you blame me for getting frustrated?

Anyway, as I said it turns out I had two different songs mixed up, anyway. (shrug)

Except the one you posted used the sound effects as accents, more like a drum fill at the end of a stanza or something, rather than as the rhythm loop. And I don't think I heard the door effect on the one you posted either.

And yes, I suppose i was pretty a bit snippy, but it seemed to me like nobody was reading the full description I posted (which happens a lot around here), so can you blame me for getting frustrated?

Anyway, as I said it turns out I had two different songs mixed up, anyway. (shrug)
    I believe the door sound was in there (it was kind of quiet) and the rapper sounds pretty white to me.

And you were misremembering 17 years ago, so sorry we couldn't read your mind. We got some bad white-guy rap out of the deal at least.

And the door sound is actually on the two, no wonder no one recognized it from your description!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    More goofiness...

Last edited by notallwhowander; 05-28-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And the door sound is actually on the two, no wonder no one recognized it from your description!
    Like I was saying, the door sound was on the two. Anyway, at least now if I'm looking for anything from Demento, I know where the site is.

I need to get dig out the Star Wreck books that were written in the early 90's. There was, I think four or five of them, I think I have a couple of them, the others I just borrowed from the library. They were good parodies of the original Trek, TNG and I think the last one took on DS9, with a plot that hinged on a vortex on the space station that sucked all the "interesting characters" (eg Kirk, Picard, Riker, etc) in, and left all the "boring" characters (eg Sulu, Wesley Crusher, etc) on the space station to interact with the apparently boring space station staff. There was also a Moody Blues allusion in that book, and I remember the book ended with the insinuation that if DS9 didn't get better soon (because this was around the time they were getting ready to end TNG) the fans would be revolt. Or something like that.

I'm pretty sure Star Trek white guy rap is what the feds played to the Branch Davidians at Waco to try to get them to surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    the fans would be revolt
    Scotty: Cap'n, look out, the fans are revoltin'!
    Kirk: Boy, you can say THAT again.

Well, I don’t know whether to thank or damn the person starting this thread. If nothing else, it led to a re-discovery of the first tune I ever heard on Dr. Demento way back in 1979:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I think that's the one he's looking for.