Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Uzva - Niittoaika

FEATURED ALBUM: Uzva - Niittoaika

One of the great lost "organic" groups out there, Uzva had three releases from 2000-2006. They got a tiny glimpse of recognition in the USA when they played ProgDay. They also played a few other shows and attended in the DC area. Mixing progressive rock, folk, and classical, they come off in a similar aesthetic as Anglagard, Aranis, or Camel.

Review from ProgArchives:
    Uzva is among the rare few that, while entirely deserving of the 'prog fusion' label that's tossed their way when discussing genre, fuel their music with a sensibility that appeals to the heart as much as the brain. Indeed, it's a shame that so many artists who pair progressive rock ingredients with a jazzy context (or vice- versa!) tend to lose sight of the fact that both styles are best when the technical prospects give way in part to hooks and atmosphere.

Given that preface, it should not be a surprise that Niittoaika trumps many of its contemporaries as a solid reinvention of traditional progressive rock. While many of the genre-based expectations a listener might have for either side of the fusion are fulfilled, Uzva's balance of traits is refreshing; the austere atmosphere and tonal experiments (closely resembling King Crimson in their heyday) and flute leads (fairly damned well analogous with prog in a rock setting) are here in full, as are the irregular chord choices that jazz listeners should be right at home with. It's the way that Uzva combines these familiar traits is what makes Niittoaika impressive; the egotism and fertile potential for loose jams are put aside in favour of compositions tightly structured and rich with atmosphere. Adding to that instrumentation heavy in flute and cello/violin leads, and it feels almost as if Niittoaika is the soundtrack to a wordless, woodland nature documentary.

Uzva's second album consists of three tracks, and to my delight, each distinguishes itself from the other two from the first listen onwards. "Soft Machine", as any seasoned prog listener might suspect, takes a fair bit of inspiration from the classic band of the same name. It's slow to build, but even at its most leisurely, there's the certain impression that Uzva haven't left much up to chance or spontaneity. The album's middle movement "Afrodite" is arguably the best of the three; it's helped a great deal by its warm atmosphere and focused attention on melodic lines. "Drontti" (an unassuming epic that reaches past the seventeen minute mark) continues the increasing momentum; after a short acoustic intermezzo ("Drontti 3.1"), Uzva pick up the pace and don't let up until the album is over. I might argue Uzva milk the finale too long for their own good (the otherwise mellow album has a near-ridiculously bombastic conclusion) but it is good to hear a more energetic side of Uzva before Niittoaika finishes up.

While the finale might leave listeners with a different impression, Niittoaika is a fairly mellow album; while the band themselves are tight and clearly focused (this stuff is undeniably far more difficult to pull off than the relaxed atmosphere might imply) Niittoaika demands nothing of its listener. Fans of progressive rock may see this as a fault. From where I'm coming from, it sounds like Uzva have done something that many in modern prog have attempted, and few others have actually managed to pull off; they've taken the traditional aesthetic of the genre and made it their own. Niittoaika lacks the boldness to rewrite the book as it were, but the vision here is refreshing and, above all, enjoyable. - Conor Fynes

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

A solid and very rewarding effort that went unfortunately unnoticed by the prog clan. As their two other albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Amazing band. Their seamless concoction of Nordic folk-tone, retro-progressive and orchestral jazz-rock was some of the finest offered since the glory days of Pekka Pohjola. All three albums are fabulous, but if I had to pick I'd go with Tammikuinen Tammela, their debut.

Their music was a perfect example of how a long-gone approach of yore could be revived and sound contemporary still.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nice band and three nice releases. I still own all of them.

Happy to say I saw them twice on their US tour.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I love this album. One of the best Finnish prog albums ever. I saw band many times live. Once they played complete Tubular Bells on Mike Oldfield's birthday.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Uzva were one of the leading lights of Finnish progressive rock at the turn of the century. Niittoaika was, IMO, their strongest album, with ”Drontti” as its brilliantly sharp spearhead. Retro with influences of 70s Finnish prog bands, Mike Oldfield and general jazz-rock and yet sounding fresh and unique rather than derivative – all the more surprising for me who am less than amoured with some of their influences.

I believe the group's running joke was that all the best albums were released between 1967 and 1974, but none of the band's musicians was released into the world before 1977! So is that ”discovering and recreating a music for which the original impulse no longer exists” or doing something new based on a similar impulse? The end result was great all the same. Too bad they, like many of their contemporaries, did not get further than they did, as they did seem to have much more potential. But three good-to-great albums is still quite an achievement.

The group actually still play occasional concerts. However, I recently met their former drummer in the library I worked, and he said they had no plans to record anything new. Still, you never know...

One of my very favorites. Funny, I had this cd for years before I fully figured out how much I enjoyed it. By then the 3rd disc was OOP, but picked up the first one which I like almost as much as Niittoaika.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

The group actually still play occasional concerts.
    Really? I have not noticed. Would really like to see them live again.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I think the last promoted concert was years ago, actually. I think the gentleman in question must have meant some more informal performances or get-togethers.

^ I know for a fact that they played both Würzburg Freakfest and Bürg Herzberg some 78-8 years back and at least on one of those occasions performed Tasavallan Presidentti's Lambertland in its entirety. They have aparently also covered some of the really tricky compositions Jukka G. did for Wigwam, and many solo pieces by both Pohjola and Tolonen.

Lambertland... Some of that shit is a seriously difficult and challenging play. I believe Marko Manninen (cello, of Höyry-Kone and Alamaailman Vasarat) did stints in their expanded live edition, and he appears on at least one of their albums too.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

easily the best of their three album (though their third is quite good as well)

never saw these dudes, but the YT links will do for now
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Absolutely lovely album, the first one I got and still my favourite of the three. All are very worthwhile, though.

I have all 3 and still enjoy them.

I also have all three. I love their organic approach and the natural sounding timbres. Really clean, unprocessed instrumentation and recordings. I also prefer their first the best.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Heard stuff on samplers and dug it. Couldn't figure out where I could get their albums and never did.

^ I think they got rather scarce pretty quickly after release. Presumably they pressed the usual 1000-1500-2000 units of each, I dunno.

Just got the first cd and i'm digging it.Too bad the others seem out of reach.If anyone knows a way to purchase the other two at a reasonable price, i'd be much obliged.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Too bad the others seem out of reach.If anyone knows a way to purchase the other two at a reasonable price, i'd be much obliged.
    Hola!.
    The same here: I only have their first!
    Tankx!

I had no idea Niittoaika even existed. I bought the other two (Tammikuinen Tammela and Uoma) from them when they played ProgDay (fantastic show). Now I'm bummed that there was a third album I didn't know about that's apparently long out of print.

Thanks a lot, Featured Album thread.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I had no idea Niittoaika even existed. I bought the other two (Tammikuinen Tammela and Uoma) from them when they played ProgDay (fantastic show). Now I'm bummed that there was a third album I didn't know about that's apparently long out of print.
    And Niittoaika is their best one! Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post

Thanks a lot, Featured Album thread.
    Yes, copies of Uzva's albums are unfortunately thin on the ground. The last time I saw a copy Niittoaika was when my library struck it from its collection for not getting enough circulation (I did manage to delay that for a year). I hope that whoever bought the album thought it was €1 well spent.

You could have my copy, but I'm not dead yet, so you can't. Sorry.

Yes, copies of Uzva's albums are unfortunately thin on the ground. The last time I saw a copy Niittoaika was when my library struck it from its collection for not getting enough circulation (I did manage to delay that for a year). I hope that whoever bought the album thought it was €1 well spent.

I could be persuaded to part with their debut, but not the other two

PM if interested
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Your library actually had a copy??? Wow. I bought Niittoaika at a cd store in Seattle (silver platters). I thought Greg Walker still had copies of the debut?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Your library actually had a copy??? Wow. I bought Niittoaika at a cd store in Seattle (silver platters). I thought Greg Walker still had copies of the debut?
    Oh yes, the Helsinki area library system has generally covered domestic music releases pretty well, from purchasing new CD releases to keeping rare vinyls available. My exploration of progressive rock from the mid 90s on would have been far harder and slower without the public libraries and their music collections. The system still has copies of all three Uzva albums in circulation, and there still seems to be demand for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'm not surprised, given what is my country's library system

But yeah, it does get deleted from the catalogue after a few years if no-one borrows it