Thread: OXBOW- Thin Black Duke

OXBOW- Thin Black Duke

Hi, I hope the main page is the right place for this, it does sound like it to my ears.

So, Oxbow have a new album out. It's been ten years since their last one, The Narcotic Story, which I thought was fantastic.
    I had no idea the band had a new album cooking. I'll put my hat in the ring here, I think Thin Black Duke is their best and it's certainly my album of the year so far.

Any fans here?

They're a really hard band to describe, lurching, angular, dissonant and often very confrontational.

Thin Black Duke, while still sounding like Oxbow, though, is much more melodic. It's beautifully recorded and the usual four piece bass/drums/guitar/vocals is complemented by gorgeous string and brass arrangements, orchestrated by the band's brilliant guitarist Niko Wenner.

It's emotional...melancholic, agonising and aching. Both wild and restrained.
    It's certainly got its teeth into me more than anything else for a while.
    It took three listens to fully connect, although I loved it from the first one.

Just found this insightful interview with them from last year talking about it. It's a good watch even if you have no interest in hearing them, I love watching artists discussing their work...see if this whets your appetite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLokUU8aijU
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 05-26-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Hi, I hope the main page is the right place for this, it does sound like it to my ears.
    You're starting a friendly discussion about music, which is the entire point of the board.

so, I surely hope so!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I tried Oxbow years ago but it didn't connect with me. Ears have stretched a tad since then though, and I've seen positive reviews for Thin Black Duke so...might be time for round #2!

Thanks for the tip
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I think it's their most accessible and, dare I say it, proggy.

Checking it out now. Thanks, Kavus!

I checked out the first three tunes on Spot - I'll be getting this. Cheers Sir Kavus for the heads-up. Never heard of this band before. I dig the vocals a bunch, and there always seems to be something musically just "off center" to some varying degree. Its really interesting, sort of unusual, and pretty different, which are good qualities to my ears. Its also apparent that fairly meticulous care and thought went into this, well based on three tunes I heard. I see this growing on me like a bad fungus. Well, actually a good fungus.

One thing - do you notice some weird overtone on the snare? I thought it was my imagination but it seems to ring fairly consistently.

Where can we purchase?

Some pretty strong recs here. I'm basically ok buying this sound unheard.

Looks like Amazon has it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

[...]I think Thin Black Duke is their best and it's certainly my album of the year so far.
    Never heard of them, but that’s all the recommendation I need! Will be getting this...

"Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One thing - do you notice some weird overtone on the snare? I thought it was my imagination but it seems to ring fairly consistently.
    I've only listened to two songs on YT, but didn't hear any weird snare overtones. Maybe my tinnitus masks it, though.

Yes, this lot are bloody marvelous.

I only have their last couple of records and have just grabbed Serenade In Red from '97 so i'm hoping to catch up with the earlier noisier stuff as well. I love the scary looking guys voice.

I think the new Oxbow sits alongside the new Jane Weaver and Children Of Alice albums as my favourites of the year thus far (just remembered the new R. Stevie Moore one, that's good an'all).

^Yeah...Children Of Alice is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Looks like Amazon has it.
    You can also listen to & get it via bandcamp:

https://oxbowofficial.bandcamp.com/a...hin-black-duke

The thing that’s so weird about Thin Black Duke is how you don’t notice its weirdness at first. On first or second listen, the tracks seem accessible and melodic; hooks abound. After a while, though, the thing becomes oddly mercurial and I’m still not quite sure why.

It’s not just because Oxbow eschew conventional verse-bridge-chorus structures, though that’s certainly part of the reason. The tunes build up, break down and then reassemble themselves in unpredictable ways. Then there’s the intricate orchestration. Usually, when rock bands add an orchestra, it’s just to fatten the sound by doubling parts. That’s definitely not the case here. The orchestra weaves in and out, coiling itself around the band’s slightly bluesy (in a Jesus Lizard way) bedrock. Listen to “Letter of Note”, it’s hard to describe. Time & a Word this ain’t.

That's a great description.

That's a great description.
    Thank you . . . thanks also for recommending TBD in the first place. (Wish I had known about this band earlier, since they just played a gig near my 'hood a few weeks ago.)

It's a fascinating sound - sort of like a bunch of post-punk art-rockers trying to play the blues, but who haven't ever actually heard the blues. Maybe they just read about it and managed to find some sheet music. So they get some of it quite a ways off, but uniquely itself, and some of it fairly on. And some of it - particularly Eugene Robinson's anguished, bawling, whisper-to-a-moan-to-a-howl voice, like a wounded and dying bull - even more so. Powerful stuff, although it requires shifting some gears in your head to really get it.

Thanks for heads up! Definitely sound like worth an investigation!!

Bloody good album this. Just rediscovering it this evening.