Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Sir Roger Moore

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    This is where i first saw Roger Moore.I loved this series,and the opening music.RIP Roger Moore.

Yep that's my best memory of him. That and his support of children's charities and animal rights.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^Great story.

That was a cute story.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Between The Saint and The Persuaders, Roger Moore made a film with Basil Dearden called The Man Who Haunted Himself. It is rather unsettling and very underrated. Gold, a pretty good Bond-like thriller, was made with Peter Hunt who earlier directed On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Man Who Haunted Himself is a little gem of a movie. Without question its Moore's best acting role. Plot is Moore is a successful businessman who suddenly realises he has a doppelgänger trying to live his life for him.

It has a great early 70's nostalgic feel to it, it is indeed very creepy and has a great score.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He was great in Cannonball Run, playing a wealthy eccentric who thinks he's Roger Moore.
    He also played someone else playing Roger Moore in "Curse of the Pink Panther". It was made after Peter Sellers died, so the plot had Clouseau going into hiding by having radical plastic surgery and choosing to look like James Bond. I think I read somewhere that Moore only had a couple days to film his parts because he was also working on a Bond movie at the time, which makes his Sellers/Clouseau imitation all the more impressive.

To be honest though, he was one of my least favorite Bonds. This will probably set my wife off on one of her Bond movie marathons - she has them all on DVD/Blu-ray and Moore was one of her favorites.

Live And Let Die was my first foray into the Bond world in the movies. It left quite an impression on this 13 year old. Of course the music didn't hurt.

Part of Moore's charm was that he knew he was not as rugged as Connery. Some of the athletic scenes were beyond his scope as a 50 year old regal gentleman, but he somehow pulled you in and made it believable if not slightly humorous.

Time to pick up the latest Bond on Blu ray collection..RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Live And Let Die was my first foray into the Bond world in the movies. It left quite an impression on this 13 year old. Of course the music didn't hurt.

Part of Moore's charm was that he knew he was not as rugged as Connery. Some of the athletic scenes were beyond his scope as a 50 year old regal gentleman, but he somehow pulled you in and made it believable if not slightly humorous.

Time to pick up the latest Bond on Blu ray collection..RIP.
    More or less sums it up for me too. It was the first Bond I saw in the cinema, and back then the older Bond movies were not really shown on TV.

I can remember just watching it in sheet joy with two other friends, and looking at each other like 'Did you see that?!'. Think I was around 13 years old.

I still say that no matter how (endearingly) silly it is, there is just something so cool about Bond in Harlem. And the boat chase is probably still my fave of all the movies. The famous still shot of the boat jumping over the police car is my screensaver, and that is such a cool and iconic image.

I liked Yaphet Kotto as a villain...he was not moustache twirling or out for world domination, and he is a terrific and powerful actor. Lot's of other familiar faces from Blaxploitation movies in there as well.

There was something kind of adult about it at the time as well...for a young child watching without my parents it seemed very grown up, quite a lot of death and violence, plus risqué dialogue. I vividly remember being quite shocked when Bond goes to leave Solitaire's bedroom and she begs him to stay, and he says 'Well, there's no sense in going off half-cocked'.

Like a lot of others, it will always be the one I have the fondest memories of as it was the first one I saw.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...