Thread: Go See Live Music

Go See Live Music

Just got back from a jazz festival featuring a dozen local middle school and high school bands, and the level of musicianship was astonishing. This year's Essentially Ellington competition in New York featured three bands from this area, out of only fifteen invited bands nationwide. The kids just got back from their trip, and this was their first chance to play together again since the competition. They were still pumped up and seemed to be having a lot of fun.

There were multiple players who soloed on multiple instruments, and everybody was professional-level (to my ears anyway).

There's no substitute for live music. The sound of a 20-piece brass orchestra never fails to stir my soul.

Support local music. Support music education.

Agree 100%! Despite my disabilities, I go as often as possible & am always rewarded! See everything you can afford to see!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yup, was at two gigs this week, got another one planned next week.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There should be more Facebook Live music. Would make it a lot easier.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I saw an acoustic duo just last night. Nothing beats the immediacy of a live music connection.

Saw three very different shows this past week, loved them all. The Deathfest is coming up this week, so there'll be lots more very soon.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I always try to find the owner/manager of the establishment and personally thank them for having
    a place for musicians to play live. They could just as easily have music piped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    They could just as easily have music piped in.
    Yes, and it's important for musicians to play before an audience too. As the economics of recorded music distribution change, live performance becomes more and more important, both economically and psychologically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger
    I saw an acoustic duo just last night. Nothing beats the immediacy of a live music connection.
    And it's good, once in a while, to remind ourselves what live music really sounds like!
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 05-21-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Just got back from a jazz festival featuring a dozen local middle school and high school bands, and the level of musicianship was astonishing. This year's Essentially Ellington competition in New York featured three bands from this area, out of only fifteen invited bands nationwide. The kids just got back from their trip, and this was their first chance to play together again since the competition. They were still pumped up and seemed to be having a lot of fun.

There were multiple players who soloed on multiple instruments, and everybody was professional-level (to my ears anyway).

There's no substitute for live music. The sound of a 20-piece brass orchestra never fails to stir my soul.

Support local music. Support music education.
    Tomorrow night I am going to see HALF PAST FOUR in Toronto. Also on the bill are Devouring Saturn, Edensong and Imminent Sonic Destruction. It's doubtful that I will stay for the complete show, however, there is seating, which is a pre-requisite for me for any live show, so I'll see how it goes...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Sort of makes the music experience secondary. Not to mention 'exposure credits' rather than income for the band.
    We have 13 shows scheduled for the summer, always room for more.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    It would be nice if you could send Facebook live video to your smart tv like you can YouTube video. I know the idea of more Facebook live video seems like just being able to not leave your house, but a few weeks ago Dave Kerzner did a live streamed acoustic show from a club in California somewhere with an optional online tip jar, so not a bad way to perform for a crowd spread all over the place.

Friday night Marillion's first night of their Weekend in Santiago, Chile was broadcast live online by a radio station in Santiago. But it was interrupted between songs by Chilean banter.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Live music is medicine for your body & mind!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I would love to see more live shows, but can't do rock shows anymore. Standard volume is so loud and so distorted that I can't distinguish ANYTHING being played. Saw UM recently. Big fan of the studio albums, but I couldn't tell you what they played that night...

Then do non-rock shows.

I agree, most rock sound in concert is utter shite.

There are two type of people I don't understand:

a) People who don't love dogs.

b) People who don't love live music.

If there was a good act nearby and I told my wife I didn't feel like going, she'd accuse me of having an affair.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Already saw 4 live concerts this month alone.

A good pair of musician's ear plugs are also my best friend.

[QUOTE=
    A good pair of musician's ear plugs are also my best friend.[/QUOTE]

Only needed them for the first GROWLFEST act Devouring the Saturn, 30 mins of torture...HALF PAST FOUR & EDENSONG were excellent with great sound!! One moment of humor...during HPF's set, the power went off and someone yelled out "Too much Prog!!"
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Just back from FIMAV (fabulous) , Ottawa jazz fest coming up. Doesn't have to be big stadia or metal bar, one of our local record stores has been putting on a number of amazing shows, all free, folk, jazz, proggy stuff even. Afternoons and evenings. One local bar has been having a "band in residence" usually jazz fusion so far in each Sunday payment by donation. I'm sure there is something like this in every larger city. Get the hell out there...

Speaking of which if The Nels Cline Four is playing anywhere near you - looks directly at Ian, go see

The Nels Cline Four - Victoriaville "This stuff was blazing... Together they created ferocious music, much of it at breakneck speed, full of changes in direction and mode." - 10/10, Exclaim! on The Nels Cline Four at FIMAV

Orcopian
    In the last month I've seen Steve Hackett, IQ and Snarky Puppy. Next few gigs are a lot heavier - Iron Maiden tomorrow night, then there is a metallica tribute band in a local pub on Friday (there was a sabbath one last week which I missed out on), in June its Kings X - a band I have always wanted to see and I'm making a 4 hour round trip mid week which is a bit of s stretch but I'm sure will be worth it. After that back to prog with a double bill of tiger moth tales and the gift.

Nearly all of these involve travelling which is often a pain, but the good thing is that there seems to be quite a good scene emerging in my home town with a number of people promoting a wide range of rock, punk, acoustic, folk along with more traditional cover bands. No big names really but still good that there is music to be seen - the man problem is that with the number of pubs putting on free covers bands people aren't willing to pay even a few £ to see bands live. The guy putting on blues gigs (with some reasonably big names) ended up stopping as he was losing so much money.

I still try to see as many live gigs as possible. Working 2nd shift makes it a bit more difficult (it has to be someone I really want to see to burn a vacation night), but I probably average 15 to 20 shows a year.

I see as many as I can, love live music. Just saw Carl Palmer Saturday and Adrian Belew a week ago. Local venues and musicians to.