Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Salamander Exhibit indiegogo campaign for new tour bus

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Free Salamander Exhibit indiegogo campaign for new tour bus

FSE's tour bus has died & they're looking for help replacing it. So if you hope to see them tour please help out.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...bile-exhibit#/
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The old SGM bus was a Grumman Flxable. Dan (mostly) had converted it into a fairly comfy sleeper. It had a two-stroke Detroit Diesel V-8 mounted sideways in the rear, canted over at about 45 degrees, and driving the rear wheels through some Rube Goldberg array of shafts and gearboxes - the pinnacle of Thirties technology. I remember they didn't think it had all that much more oomph left in it.

Addendum: If you go to the IndieGoGo site and click through the photos (of which the first is the new bus they hope to buy), you'll see a really charming set of pictures of SGM on the old bus with their various kids.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-19-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Why du hell ain't there more responses?!! Won't folks support da PROG SCENE?!?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Throwing down $50 as I felt bad about only having to pay $10 a piece for tickets to see them and Cheer-Accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Why duh hell ain't there more responses?!! Won't folks support da PROG SCENE?!?
    FSE/SGM AREN'T PROG!

No Mellotron, no Mini-Moog, no pseudo-Genesis songs (but with dumbed-down chord changes and obvious AABA structures), no soaring tenor vocals, no Phil Collins drum fills. I can't say, "no mystical lyrics" because Nils writes quite a bit of those, but they incline far more toward dark folk-metal than Bhagavad-Gita footnotes. Anyway, FSE/SGM are noise, they're avant-metal, they're something-or-other. But they aren't prog.

P.S.: I once won a "they-aren't-prog" argument over SGM with somebody - it might have been Yanks - by saying, "Of course they're prog. They played NearFest." To which he had no answer.

Why du hell ain't there more responses?!! Won't folks support da PROG SCENE?!?
    I would seriously love to help - but I just dropped $1500 on a car repair yesterday... so... no. No help from me. Sorry dudes! Got my own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    FSE/SGM AREN'T PROG!

No Mellotron, no Mini-Moog, no pseudo-Genesis songs (but with dumbed-down chord changes and obvious AABA structures), no soaring tenor vocals, no Phil Collins drum fills. I can't say, "no mystical lyrics" because Nils writes quite a bit of those, but they incline far more toward dark folk-metal than Bhagavad-Gita footnotes. Anyway, FSE/SGM are noise, they're avant-metal, they're something-or-other. But they aren't prog.

P.S.: I once won a "they-aren't-prog" argument over SGM with somebody - it might have been Yanks - by saying, "Of course they're prog. They played NearFest." To which he had no answer.

I'm sorry, John - but this sounds like one of those desperate defence-speeches Charlie Looker committed after his involvements with Dirty Projectors, Zs, Time of Orchids and Extra Life still got him designated the "prog" tag; "[...] I HONESTLY NEVER LISTEN TO 'PROG'!"

But we know, don't we, that in secret cellars he sits caped-up and listens to Grobschnitt, Tasavallan Presidentti, Happy the Man, Neal Morse and not least Ayreon.

And I even love some of those.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Playing NFest makes you ArtRock.
    Playing Progstock makes you Prog.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm sorry, John - but this sounds like one of those desperate defence-speeches Charlie Looker committed after his involvements with Dirty Projectors, Zs, Time of Orchids and Extra Life still got him designated the "prog" tag; "[...] I HONESTLY NEVER LISTEN TO 'PROG'!"
    Psalm Zero is like one big stab at proving how unprog he really is

Will be throwing in some money come payday.

One of the biggest incentives for me is the suggestion on the indiegogo page that donations above and beyond what they're asking for would go towards finishing some incomplete projects, including the last albums for Idiot Flesh and SGM. I mean, how is just the possibility of either of those not worth at least the $5 minimum donation they're asking for, if not a helluva lot more?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Playing NFest makes you ArtRock.
    Playing Progstock makes you Prog.
    Oh, right. Because NEARFest stands for North East Art Rock Festlval. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Psalm Zero is like one big stab at proving how unprog he really is
    Ha-haaa'h! Just listened, and you're absolutely correct!

But you gotta hand him the depseration still.

He's not too far from Lana Lane, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Will be throwing in some money come payday.

One of the biggest incentives for me is the suggestion on the indiegogo page that donations above and beyond what they're asking for would go towards finishing some incomplete projects, including the last albums for Idiot Flesh and SGM. I mean, how is just the possibility of either of those not worth at least the $5 minimum donation they're asking for, if not a helluva lot more?
    Must admit that got my attention
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Seen 'em twice, and would love to see 'em again. I'll donate what I can.

An update, from the FSE facebook page, of special interest to SGM and Idiot Flesh aficionados.

"Friends, here is your weekend pledge drive update: we are over $13K funded, with 139 backers! Thank you very much for your enthusiastic support!
    Someone asked how much we'd need to stretch to fund all the leftover Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Idiot Flesh projects, which is an excellent question. I'm going to try to put a number on each of those projects this weekend and I will share them when I can. In the meantime, please continue to support our campaign if you can and would like to.
    Also keep in mind that even small donations can really add up! Even a $5 donation is a meaningful thing, and we would be grateful to have it.
    Thank you!"

neil

And another update, with specific information pertaining to the unfinished SGM and Idiot Flesh albums, and the SGM concert film:

"Friends, good morning. Today's pledge drive update:
    We're 98% funded on the $15K we asked you to help us raise - thank you! Your response has been wonderful, and we appreciate you support so very much! Time to talk about stretch goals:
    As noted in the campaign, the bus costs $18K, and we asked for help with $15K of that. We have very nearly reached that goal! The next stretch goal is another $3000 to cover the complete cost of the bus. The one after that is to cover the cost of the conversion (which we estimate to be $2000). Can we raise another $5000 in the next 48 days? Only you can decide!
    However, as honorable a goal as it is to help keep us out of debt on this project, we know that the stretch goals you truly care about are the unfinished Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Idiot Flesh projects. I now present you with very rough estimates of the costs of each of these projects:
    The last SGM album can be finished for approximately $5000.
    The last Idiot Flesh album can be completed for approximately $2000.
    The Last Human Being movie can be completed for approximately $5000.
    In sum: $5000 to pay for the entire purchase and conversion of the bus. Another $12000 to finish all the old SGM and Idiot Flesh projects. We appreciate all of the support you have shown us so far, and if the campaign ended today we would be overjoyed with how well it went. 155 of the best human beings stepped up and pitched in, and we couldn't be more thankful. But I can't help but think what would happen if another 155 of the best human beings came through the same way, or if everybody who likes this page chipped in $5. Give it a think. There's still time to be part of this thing! Where we go next is up to you all.
    And once again, THANK YOU for all of your support. It means the world to us.
    Yours in gratitude,
    Free Salamander Exhibit"

The material on the final, unfinished Idiot Flesh album - which they played live for the last year-or-two they were together, so I'm familiar with it - presented an interesting transition to the sound of Sleepytime.

I just threw these tossers a 10 spot. Nils did try to get me on stage in Brooklyn during my bachelor party in 2003 but it wouldn't have gone well. Love these guys, though. All 3 SGM albums slay me, and the new FSE album is great too. I'm gonna eat my sticker raw.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    the new FSE album is great too.
    This has actually become my fave Nils album along with Of Natural History (which is kinda difficult to beat, IMHO). The Idiot Flesh, Charming Hostess and Faun Fables stuff of his is great too, but there's something remarkably singular about this FSE release, with numerous details and nuances not only in the music itself but in the manner you react and respond to it. Could be the occasional varying single malt talking, of course... But less overtly "contempo-RIO" and more just... Of itself. Post-apocalyptic dystopian progcore, or something.

This has actually become my fave Nils album along with Of Natural History (which is kinda difficult to beat, IMHO). The Idiot Flesh, Charming Hostess and Faun Fables stuff of his is great too, but there's something remarkably singular about this FSE release, with numerous details and nuances not only in the music itself but in the manner you react and respond to it. Could be the occasional varying single malt talking, of course... But less overtly "contempo-RIO" and more just... Of itself. Post-apocalyptic dystopian progcore, or
    Wow. Strong words, and great to hear. I agree with History - its an amazing statement for sure - although the first album is just as good on some days for me. I haven't given FSE nearly as much time as the SGM albums for fairly obvious reasons, but each subsequent spin gets better and better. The sheer talent and creativity this lot possesses is downright scary.

The thing that hits me is that it's consistent, and consistently excellent. And while there's a Dan song ("Time Master"), a Michael song ("The Keep"), and a Dave song ("Atheists' Potluck"), the rest of the material, like all the best IF/SGM/FSE work, is highly collaborative. Nils may be the artistic visionary behind all those bands, but he seems to thrive in that particular working mode, and greatly prefers it. And it's always been at the center of those bands' sound.

Funded! Now on to try and get the unreleased material out.
    Ian

The thing that hits me is that it's consistent, and consistently excellent. And while there's a Dan song ("Time Master"), a Michael song ("The Keep"), and a Dave song ("Atheists' Potluck"), the rest of the material, like all the best IF/SGM/FSE work, is highly collaborative. Nils may be the artistic visionary behind all those bands, but he seems to thrive in that particular working mode, and greatly prefers it. And it's always been at the center of those bands' sound.
    That is one of the first things that i noticed about the album. I think that it is by far, the most consistent thing that Nils has done, in the SGM universe. All the tracks are so solid. There are no 10 minutes long, slow, grinding, repetitive tracks, as on the last couple of SGM releases. Of Natural History is tough to beat, but the new FSE brings it, in spades.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    All the tracks are so solid. There are no 10 minutes long, slow, grinding, repetitive tracks, as on the last couple of SGM releases.

neil
    Nils is a huge Swans fan, as well as of E. Neubauten and other slow, grinding, repetitive, and pulverizingly emotional industrial/metal/avant/noise stuff. It's the side of the band that is sometimes progressive, but isn't at all prog. So that's probably where that sort of thing comes from.