Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renaissance touring with chamber orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't know, but he's been out of the band for over 30 years.
    Wasn't Jon Camp having a hissy fit because Annie and Michael were trying to move forward as Renaissance and he was pulling a Roger Waters ("If I'm not in it it's fake news!") I thought that went back to the 1990s.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Wasn't Jon Camp having a hissy fit because Annie and Michael were trying to move forward as Renaissance and he was pulling a Roger Waters ("If I'm not in it it's fake news!") I thought that went back to the 1990s.
    He may well have been, but according to Wikipedia he wasn't in the band then. I don't really know much about Renaissance history though, so I'm not the best source.

I believe that Jon had some kind of serious falling out with Annie, but I'm not sure what it was over. There's a vague memory of it being a matter of him being more realistic and business-oriented, as well as somewhat older and far more experienced: She wanted to keep the band going at the end, when they couldn't really make a full-time living at it any more, and he didn't and wouldn't.

I wish more of the prog bands from the 70's just ignored trends in the industry and kept making great music in the same vein as what got them noticed in the first place. We could have had 10 more albums from a band such as Renaissance. Some personnel changes are in order over time,
    but they really made some of prog's finest records and could have inspired other bands to reach for greatness during the last 3 decades where epic prog output was far from what went on in the golden age of the genre.

All the great prog bands seem to have given in to becoming nostalgia acts other than maybe King Crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    All the great prog bands seem to have given in to becoming nostalgia acts other than maybe King Crimson.
    As I said, Grandine Il Vento from 2013 contains one of my favorite songs of theirs, "Symphony of Light."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Deninzon is a monster electric violinist - he has his own proggy band Stratospheerius
    Doh! His name looked so familiar when I read it, now I know why. I just saw a good bit of their set at Progtoberfest last weekend. Really cool stuff!

He may well have been, but according to Wikipedia he wasn't in the band then. I don't really know much about Renaissance history though, so I'm not the best source.
    The final incarnation of Renaissance with Jon, Annie and Michael (which also included a very young Gavin Harrison!) fell apart in the early 80s due to the usual reasons that other 70s band fizzled out around that time.

It was later on -- either the late 80s or some time in the 90s -- that Annie and Michael were trying to revive it and I thought I read some interview where they asked Jon to be a part of it but he declined. I thought it even got to the point where they were trying to reach out to John Tout and Terry Sullivan but Jon was sort of the ringleader of the "No Renaissance!" camp. Part of it may have been that Annie and Michael were then living in the states while the others were still in the UK, but I'm not sure about that either. It ended up creating a lot of acrimony between the two camps (pun intended!)

This is all based on vague memories of 20 year old interviews so if someone has better info please share!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I don't know, but he's been out of the band for over 30 years.
    I read a long time ago that Annie was very upset after Terry Sullivan was fired by Jon Camp essentially for dropping a beat on a song during a performance.
    Also, Annie was in the hospital at one point and Jon sang lead vocals on a tune while she was in the hospital, which didn't sit well with her.

Odd stories about Jon Camp here.

Jon Camp is very active on Facebook, and Terry Sullivan is as well to a lesser extent. They were both recently working on another project together and looking for a singer who can sing Renaissance parts. It never materialized, and Jon moved onto another project with his band Cathedral. Jon has been VERY vocal about not being asked into the current incarnation of Renaissance, and is not really in favor of the band as it is now, and the butchering of his bass lines. A few years back Jon & Terry did record an album called Renaissant, which was quite good and did capture a bit of the classic Renaissance groove. If you don't have it, you are missing out.

One story I had heard from someone in the know, though I can't verify, is that when Renaissance set out to do an acoustic tour in 1987 they booked a few days prior to the first date to rehearse. Jon Camp, I heard, never showed up. For the whole tour. He just blew it off. Annie was furious at the unprofessionalism, that you simply "do not do that!!" So, he has been out of the band since. Again, can't verify, but that's what I heard. And Jon was not on that tour, and it was a bit odd they had no bass player. If it's true, I would think after 20 to 30 years you could forgive. I did however take note that Jon had made a phone call to Annie after Michael passed to wish her condolences. But it didn't result in him being back in the band obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This is all based on vague memories of 20 year old interviews so if someone has better info please share!
    Gavin Harrison wasn't the last drummer to play with Renaissance in the '80s-- that was Greg Carter, an R&B drummer who'd previously been with Edgar Winter. That was followed by the acoustic lineup with Annie, Michael, Raphael Rudd and Mark Lampariello.

Jon Camp 2012 interview asked about '98 reunion:

The only other thing was—I said Mike, it’s my 60th birthday in October, my wife is planning a great big party for us all, I’ve got relatives coming from all over the world. Whatever you do, don’t book the gigs then. He phones me up—when’s the first gig? October the 9th, my birthday. I said “I can’t do it! I can’t let all these people down”. And so Terry said “if you’re not doing it, I’m not doing it” and John said “well if you’re not doing it I’m not doing it” and that was the end of it. But I have an email from Micky that said they’re going to try and do the tour on their own and never forget, the door is open for you guys any time you want to come back. And I’ll state, now that John is well, there is no reason on God’s earth why the original Renaissance isn’t touring America. Absolutely none.

http://renaissance-fanfare.net/forum...interview-2012

Regarding Jon Camp, here's a link to a 2012 interview where he talks about his departure and the failed 2009 reunion effort: http://renaissance-fanfare.net/forum...interview-2012.

Oops, I see someone just posted this link. Sorry for the duplication.

Here's a 4K video sample of Renaissance with chamber orchestra from Ridgefield CT (to view 4K, go full screen, click cog wheel icon in bottom right and choose 2160p from the "Quality" submenu). Great Annie moment at the very end. Audio is not awesome (built-in mic on my camera) and does NOT accurately reproduce the band/orchestra mix.

A better (relatively speaking) audio sample: the band's Facebook Live stream from the Albany show. The video is a blur, but venue acoustics were amazing and (within the severe constraints of smartphone audio) this is representative of the band/orchestra mix, save for the (expected) total lack of bass.

https://www.facebook.com/Renaissance...6837964355775/

Facebook account not required to view and listen.
    Last edited by esa; 11-01-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Good show in Annapolis MD last night. Once Annie's voice warmed up she was really able to belt it out and hit some amazing pure and powerful high notes - on those occasions she had to back of the mike a foot or more. Pretty good band as well, no chamber orchestra unfortunately (small club). Annie seemed in very good spirits and there was much good-natured banter. Very glad I went - one of the few concerts that I can drag the wife to who also enjoyed it very much indeed.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

The Boston show that was cancelled this week (because the venue's not finished building yet) is now set for March, so here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by esa View Post
    Here's a 4K video sample of Renaissance with chamber orchestra from Ridgefield CT (to view 4K, go full screen, click cog wheel icon in bottom right and choose 2160p from the "Quality" submenu). Great Annie moment at the very end. Audio is not awesome (built-in mic on my camera) and does NOT accurately reproduce the band/orchestra mix.

Was this the first gig with the orchestra? I ask because the strings seem to be having a few problems - their pitch is shaky, which does not happen with players on that level unless they can't hear themselves or the band. And you'll notice them gesturing at the monitor engineer, as if something is wrong with their levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Was this the first gig with the orchestra? I ask because the strings seem to be having a few problems - their pitch is shaky, which does not happen with players on that level unless they can't hear themselves or the band. And you'll notice them gesturing at the monitor engineer, as if something is wrong with their levels.
    Indeed it was: first gig, first song with orchestra.

May 11th at NJPAC, Newark announced. Presale starts Thursday Feb. 8 @ 10am. Code = LIGHTS

Boston, Ithaca and Alexandria shows for that week already on sale.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Wow, I thought they were done - they're editing the DVD or Blu-Ray or whatever.

Haven't seen a mention of this but Annie is back at it. I saw her at a small club a few months ago and I thought she was in fine form with the band and the audience loved her, but this time I believe will include a 10-piece Chamber Orchestra:

2018 Symphonic Journey Tour
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-11-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Excellent show in Boston tonight. Not am orchestra tour, but the six-piece Renaissance in very strong form. Didn't recognize all the faces in the band (Tom Brislin no longer there), but the sound and spirit were there. And Annie is an absolute wonder.

Aside from the two long tracks from the recent album, which came off very well, the setlist included three older songs that I've never heard live in all my years of seeing Renaissance. Won't give them away but all three songs were related to bodies of water.

Looking forward to the Sunday night concert.

They've now mailed out all of the DVD/CDs to the Indiegogo supporters. Looking forward to watching it.

The DVD/2CD set arrived today. And...they spelled my name wrong in the book. How’d they manage that when all the info came from my Indiegogo order? Someone must have re-keyed. Sigh...hardly important but a bit irritating. Well, that aside they have a good record of completing their crowdfunding commitments, so good for them.