Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Dear Hunter

The Dear Hunter

I was reading my local weekly alternative newspaper today looking for possible live music I might be interested in during the week, if any (I'm damn selective in my old age).

I started reading the paragraph about The Dear Hunter, who are playing a local venue Sunday night, and it contained the words progressive and concept pieces so I youtubed them.

I'm sure as hell going to see them, and can't believe that for as long as they've been around I never heard (of) them.

OK all you New Englanders (they're from Providence), who tf are these guys, and why are they not ever mentioned here?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Arguably my favorite band of this millennium. Acts II through V are stunningly good.

They are pretty solid songwriters, however I would say their music tends to bleed together after a while and it's hard for me to to pick out distinguishing tracks. Their most recent was very good.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Count me in as another fan, although I have never seen them live. I think their albums tell one long continuing story. I don’t have all of them, and am not sure what it is all about, but their lead guy (Casey something) is a very good songwriter. I would agree about their latest album. It is very good and might even be their best yet. I am hoping to catch these guys live one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I would agree about their latest album. It is very good and might even be their best yet.
    I remember at first I was a little underwhelmed. But over time, I feel it now has proven to have the most replay value of any of the albums. It's now my favorite.

A Beginning is especially outstanding.

Well that's 2 strong recs for Act V w/at least one from someone I know more than virtually whose opinion I value.

Ordered.

Shit! I'm not even done typing this and realized I f'd up & should have waited until Sunday night to buy it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

kinda surprised you never checked them out progeezer, as I and many others have been talking about them for many years.

I'm a Life-er and been a massively addicted fanboy for over 10 years now.

They are on tour right now, opening for Coheed and Cambria, who themselves are playing their proggiest (and best in my mind) record in "Good Apollo 1."

Act V discussion:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ht=Dear+Hunter

Tour with Coheed topic:

"The Dear Hunter...why so unknow?"

Act IV topic:

Migrant:

Also to the people who find their music to blend or sound the same, I guess I would have to ask if they've listened to the entire The Color Spectrum? 9 EP's, with each one more or less having music of a different style.

AOL's Progressive Rock Station has a few The Dear Hunter songs in rotation, including THE MOON / AWAKE. Count me as a fan. AOL's Prog station mixes lots of current bands with the usual suspects. That's how i got introduced to THE MUTE GODS, THAT OCEANIC FEELING, RIVERSIDE, FROST*, and finally "got" GG and VDGG.

About a year ago, the programming changed slightly - still plenty of PT, but no SB or FK and little to no DT (Yay!). Instead, lot of non-mainstream prog bands from the 70, but also plenty of contemporary prog.

THANKS KYLE!!

Another of my favourite bands! Acts I, II & V are my favourites, with II probably just coming out on top. I also love quite a lot of The Color Spectrum, which is a real showcase of different musical styles. I couldn't ever get into Migrant, though.

I really, really, really tried to like this band because I really, really enjoy the music...sadly all the yelling gets on my nerves.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I really, really, really tried to like this band because I really, really enjoy the music...sadly all the yelling gets on my nerves.
    I get it. Casey does go into yelling mode from time to time and kind of tries to push the limits of his voice. I

I'll echo the positive kudos. I really, really love this band. I have everything they've released (as far as I know).

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Steve, I have heard no studio stuff but watched a 40 minute live show and was impressed.

I love The Dear Hunter ... all 5 Acts!
    As you know Steve, I work in musical theatre, and these five acts are very theatrical in nature and got more so with each addition.
    The Dear Hunter were formed from the post-hardcore band The Receiving End Of Sirens in the early 00's and you can hear it on each CD, but more so on Act 1.
    If you're looking for more of that type of sound then check out the one off The Dear Hunter cd called "Migrant". It was released before Act IV.
    I really like this release and it does have a different sound IMO.
    I'll try and add below ...
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qj9hCfj121ZYZP

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin333 View Post
    I love The Dear Hunter ... all 5 Acts!
    As you know Steve, I work in musical theatre, and these five acts are very theatrical in nature and got more so with each addition.
    The Dear Hunter were formed from the post-hardcore band The Receiving End Of Sirens in the early 00's and you can hear it on each CD, but more so on Act 1.
    If you're looking for more of that type of sound then check out the one off The Dear Hunter cd called "Migrant". It was released before Act IV.
    I really like this release and it does have a different sound IMO.
    I'll try and add below ...
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qj9hCfj121ZYZP
    Thanks Ed!

In post #6 in this thread I talked about ordering Act 5, well fortunately I got a subsequent email telling me that the marketplace vendor was out of stock.

I'm glad I have enough cash right now to buy all 5 Acts from the band tomorrow night & then hit the credit union Monday . I suspect the band doesn't see that at a merch table too often.

I've gotten much more restrained over the last few years about buying too much, and at 72 I never have the "I gotta have that right f'ng now!" compulsion anymore, but these guys did that for the first time in a long time.

just got back from the show. Oddly, maybe one of the only times I actually was more excited to see a band on the bill other than TDH, being I adore that Coheed record to bits.

The Dear Hunter themselves were very tight. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the sound mix was in their favor as I struggled to hear the vocals. But for some reason, I did not for Coheed.

Although it happens frequently at First Avenue, during basically the entire The Dear Hunter's set, I had a of people near me chatting up a storm.

Also given it was as a support/opener, the set list was like a sampler. Act IV, V and a couple of tracks from The Color Spectrum. Odd, how when I 1st started to see them live, that was not unusual, but it felt weird tonight. Short, etc.

They also included a little of The Beatles tune "She's So Heavy" as a outro to their last song.
    Last edited by mnprogger; 05-14-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Was that the last opening gig with C & C, or is Madison a side trip one-off from that tour, since TDH is the headliner here?

There's been a low grade buzz about these guys going around PE for the past couple years. My 30 year old proghead son thinks they're way cool so I'd definitely put them into the "young prog bands" category, even though they don't really sound anything like the stuff we talk about most around here. I've yet to see them live but from what I've seen on YT they're quite entertaining.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Was that the last opening gig with C & C, or is Madison a side trip one-off from that tour, since TDH is the headliner here?
    tonight's show in Madison is a Headlining show without Coheed. They have some dates on this tour where they are playing without Coheed.

MAY 14 SUN
    High Noon Saloon
    Madison, WI

MAY 15 MON
    The Pageant
    Coheed and Cambria
    St Louis, MO

MAY 16 TUE
    Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland
    Coheed and Cambria
    Kansas City, MO

MAY 18 THU
    Stage AE
    Coheed and Cambria
    Pittsburgh, PA

MAY 19 FRI
    Aragon Ballroom
    Coheed and Cambria
    Chicago, IL

MAY 20 SAT
    Slowdown
    Omaha, NE

MAY 21 SUN
    The Black Sheep
    Colorado Springs, CO

MAY 23 TUE
    NeuroluxBoise, ID

Packed house tonight in Madison of about 450. My son Peter (progeezer's ghost here at PE) and I figured I was the oldest person there by minimally 25 years.

They kicked ass and I'm even more impressed now, but they had NO FUCKING CDs with them!

Back to the net, damnit!

yeah not sure why they were out of cds last night as well, maybe per the length of the tour and they sold out as they are a month in. They may have not anticipated the sales numbers.

But personally I have all their cds, so I wasn't the demographic to buy 1. I did pick up the Act IV Score/Book which I probably will be showing in a video relatively soon.

I wonder what kind of set list they did; I can't find much as far as set lists online for the headline shows.

Glad you liked them, Geez. They are definitely the real deal.

Back in the summer of 2010, Porcupine Tree and Coheed & Cambria came to Nashville, TN, and The Dear Hunter was their opening act. I'd heard of them before, but never actually listened to any of their stuff. I'd really only come to see Porcupine Tree, but The Dear Hunter was actually probably my favorite of the performances that night, and my brother and I bought some of their CDs from the merch table afterwards (I think it was Act I and Act III, but can't remember for sure). Casey Crescenzo was sitting there chatting with folks from the audience, and seemed like a very down to earth kind of guy. Got some more of their stuff later, but haven't spun any of it in a while.

The Color Spectrum collection was a really cool concept piece.

Now that they gained a bit more exposure with acts IV and V, I hope they will consider reissuing the first 3 acts on CD for those who came late to the party. They are almost impossible to find and sell for crazy prices.