Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Steve Wilson Remix Rumours?

Any Steve Wilson Remix Rumours?

The Remix job he has done on the King Crimson, Jethro Tull and ELP albums is staggering. I feel like I am hearing things for the first time in the music. I have a long list of albums I wish he would take on such as the first 7 Moody Blue albums, Relayer by Yes, Trilogy & Brain Sald Surgery by ELP, and some of the Italian classics (Per Un Amico by PFM and Felona E Serona of Le Orme).

Have there been any rumours as to what he is working on? I did hear him say in a recent interview that he has a backlog of demand for his services.

He mentioned in his Examiner interview that he was working with Andy Partridge on remixing an XTC album. Oh, and apparently he only works albums he loves in the first place.

I wish he would remix every album ever recorded, so I can finally listen to them the way they were supposed to be heard.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I want him to remix the complete Klaus Schulze catalog.

Then all released live Marillion shows.

That's all.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Actually, I wonder if he likes Vapor Trails?

I have it from a reliable source that he is remixing Relayer, not from the original tapes but (utilizing some top secret new technology) with a direct output from the power of his mind, imagining the way it should have sounded from the start. It will be a 32 channel sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    The Remix job he has done on the King Crimson, Jethro Tull and ELP albums is staggering.
    Don't forget Caravan's In The Land Of Grey And Pink!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that he does A Passion Play. I'd also love to hear a 5.1 mix of Tales...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I wonder who will remix/remaster his solo album "The Raven That Refused To Sing"....

Steve Hackett`s Please Dont Touch is on the "to do" list in 5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Don't forget Caravan's In The Land Of Grey And Pink!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that he does A Passion Play. I'd also love to hear a 5.1 mix of Tales...
    I will certainly get In The Land Of Gray and Pink. A Passion Plan sounds interesting. Some albums never did much for me because the sound of the cd pas been so poor (ex. Aqualung). I would imagine bringing out the details would make A Passion Play sound like a whole new album to me. I would also think the Gentle Giant catalogue could use this kind of attention.

Some months back, he said that he had passed on any further ELP remixes. I wonder if the label (Sony?) are pursuing anyone else to do any more of these ELP albums or is this project now dead. I'd really like for someone (Steve Wilson or someone else with expertise) to make an attempt to remix BSS.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 02-02-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Some months back, he said that he had passed on any further ELP remixes. I wonder if the label (Sony?) are pursuing anyone else to do any more of these ELP albums or is this project now dead. I'd really like to someone (Steve Wilson or someone else with expertise) make an attempt to remix BSS.
    There were rumours at the time that ELP were more... difficult to work with than the others. That's to be taken with a grain of salt obviously, but quite possible. It could also be that SW only really likes the first two albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Old man of prog
    He's doing Topographic Oceans!

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    That could actually be very interesting... if he were going to do it (or Relayer) I say go nuts... retrigger the drums, just see what it would be like in an alternate universe where it was a more modern recording. The result might not be an improvement, but it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    I would also think the Gentle Giant catalogue could use this kind of attention.

Lesley Minnear posted to the On Reflection list back in November after all the talk of the Thick as a Brick remix -

"Well what d'you know? Just yesterday I was speaking to Ray, and he was telling me all about Steve Wilson. They have done some projects together and Steve is keen to do new stereo mixes to include 5.1, of Octopus, IAGH and TP&TG. We would have some challenges regarding licences etc, but if you think this a good idea we can start the various negotiations."

A lot of folks posted their affirmations but I have no idea as to the current status if any of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    What?! Did I miss this somehow?

Wilson's stereo remixes are sterile and lack the organic qualities of the originals. They lack depth and realism.

I've tried many of them in an effort to be fair and open minded about his digital remixes, but the appeal of them continues to elude me.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 02-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Wilson's stereo remixes are sterile and the lack the organic qualities of the originals. They lack depth and realism.

I've tried many of them in an effort to be fair and open minded about his digital remixes, but the appeal of them continues to elude me.
    Jeff, is it always the same song and dance with you? You don't seem to like any remix/remaster. Btw, wasn't his Aqualung remix suppose to sound close to the original vinyl? To me, it didn't suffer from the "loudness wars". No, I don't think Steven is doing TFTTO; that's just wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Jeff, is it always the same song and dance with you? You don't seem to like any remix/remaster. Btw, wasn't his Aqualung remix suppose to sound close to the original vinyl? To me, it didn't suffer from the "loudness wars". No, I don't think Steven is doing TFTTO; that's just wishful thinking.
    Remixing albums recorded in analog on a digital workstation doesn't sound good to me. Perhaps one day someone will come along and change that perception. Until then, the fact that Wilson seems to be an "audiophile" and doesn't subcribe to "loudness wars" thinking is an attribute and even makes me root for him, but how anyone could actually rate a single stereo remix he has done above the original just boggles the mind.

I speak not of his surround mixes, as those have no basis for comparison, though I confess that they also have "sterile" quality I don't personally find appealing.

As regards your general point, I like quite a few remasters, and have even provided lists for those who have asked for such in the past, but near as I can tell, such is not the point of this thread.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Remixing albums recorded in analog on a digital workstation doesn't sound good to me. Perhaps one day someone will come along and change that perception. Until then, the fact that Wilson seems to be an "audiophile" and doesn't subcribe to "loudness wars" thinking is an attribute and even makes me root for him, but how anyone could actually rate a single stereo remix he has done above the original just boggles the mind.

I speak not of his surround mixes, as those have no basis for comparison, though I confess that they also have "sterile" quality I don't personally find appealing.

As regards your general point, I like quite a few remasters, and have even provided lists for those who have asked for such in the past, but near as I can tell, such is not the point of this thread.
    I don't think people rate his remix above the remix. That would be ridiculous.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerlist View Post
    Steve Hackett`s Please Dont Touch is on the "to do" list in 5.1.
    We all know that it's Steven's favorite Steve-album. I've talked to Steve (with no -n) and he said he would like Steven to do it. I guess Steven wants it. They both have Google Agenda, or some other device to sinc their both agendas. So what's keeping them? No doubt some executive with no-prog-knowledge whatsoever thinks it's not a good sale, hence no go. But that's just me imagining.

Or maybe it's just too close to the Genesis Revisited II set. That seems more likely. There's just a little money to be made in this business, so spreading the revenue over a longer period seems wise

I would like him to do
    -Close to the Edge
    -TfTO
    -Relayer

...if only for a 5.1 mix of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    I would like him to do
    -Close to the Edge
    -TfTO
    -Relayer

...if only for a 5.1 mix of them.
    Me too.

While absolutely none of the above could ever possibly be true, I am personally looking forward to Steve Wilson's rumored forthcoming remix of Focus con Proby.

But first, I'm hoping for a sequel to Steve's Slideshows and Fairytales.

512TXPR9MUL._SS500_.jpg
    Last edited by Innerviews; 02-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I wonder who will remix/remaster his solo album "The Raven That Refused To Sing"....
    The real question is, will they manage to make it listenable?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I have it from a reliable source that he is remixing Relayer, not from the original tapes but (utilizing some top secret new technology) with a direct output from the power of his mind, imagining the way it should have sounded from the start. It will be a 32 channel sound.
    End this thread now, no one will have a better response than this.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“God’s Little Hand”-Savage Rose/In the Plain