Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Steven Wilson tune "Pariah"

First of all this song is bad my dudes. And do any of you remember the photo Steven posted a couple months back wearing a Justin Bieber shirt? I'm sure most of you laughed at it and took it as a joke. Whereas I did not. Steven has obviously been taking influence from the youths not just music wise, but album cover wise. Whats a better selling point, than a guy who has literally no muscle (or anything in fact) definition on his chest area?
    If you are going to venture out of a genre, and keep on experimenting, good on you! Just atleast make it good. I mean the lyrics are so bland, c'mon mate.
    For someone who has dislikes Phil's solo work, and UP by PG, its awfully hypocritical he goes and makes something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilIsLife View Post
    For someone who has dislikes Phil's solo work, and UP by PG, its awfully hypocritical he goes and makes something like this.
    I've found a weird phenomenon when it comes to my own likes and dislikes and how that jibes with my own attempts to make music. I have often found myself coming up with riffs that I find fun to play and later thought they reminded me of artists that I have no time for. So there is a huge disconnect between my ability to write/play music and my tastes in music. I could even say that I can take great pleasure playing and recording music that is far from my favorite style when it comes to listening. It's a completely different process.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've found a weird phenomenon when it comes to my own likes and dislikes and how that jibes with my own attempts to make music. I have often found myself coming up with riffs that I find fun to play and later thought they reminded me of artists that I have no time for. So there is a huge disconnect between my ability to write/play music and my tastes in music. I could even say that I can take great pleasure playing and recording music that is far from my favorite style when it comes to listening. It's a completely different process.
    You do have a point, but it is still hypocritical.

I'm not a die hard SW supporter by any means but I find it strange that some are making definitive judgements about him selling out with this album based on hearing a single track.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilIsLife View Post
    You do have a point, but it is still hypocritical.
    I don't think it has to be hypocritical. It's like if your favorite band put out two albums that used the same musicians, same studio, very similar production techniques, and basically the same style, but for some reason you really didn't like one of them because the riffs and melodies just didn't resonate. At least, that's my working theory, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I'm not a die hard SW supporter by any means but I find it strange that some are making definitive judgements about him selling out with this album based on hearing a single track.
    True enough, but it may be more based on this comment, that he supposedly made (from earlier in the thread): "My fifth record is in many ways inspired by the hugely ambitious progressive pop records that I loved in my youth – think Peter Gabriel’s So, Kate Bush’s Hounds Of Love, Talk Talk’s Colour Of Spring and Tear’s For Fears’ Seeds Of Love."

neil

I find it strange that some are making definitive judgements about him selling out with this album based on hearing a single track.
    Strange? Really? What internet have you been hanging around for the last 30 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Omicron9 View Post
    It doesn't at all. But this "cover art" smacks of "I've lowered my standards," or "why bother" or something. Of course, all just my opinion. Covers for TRTRTS and HCE were interesting, thought-provoking, and had a connection to the music. To follow those with this? Uh......

Also, it seems to be connected to the music. Like if SW didn't even bother with actual cover art for this record, what does that say about the music? Maybe nothing, but again, all just my opinion.
    I have a hard time believing, that after twenty plus years, of extreme care, commitment and bother over everything that he has worked on, that he would suddenly 'lower his standards' and 'not bother'. That makes no sense.

neil

It's not so much a single track though. This track is a continuation of what a lot of people had issues with in Hand. Cannot. Erase.

This is the first album of his in 20 years I'm not excited about. Largely due to the drums and guitars he's brought in. I said after the success of HCE i bet he's going to be doing much larger shows his next album, and it already appears he's selling out and adding shows at venues and the thing hasn't even dropped yet.
    He ALWAYS had a pop sensibility, so the new song isn't much of a surprise and its not much different overall than A Perfect Life was. Furthermore, it wouldn't surprise that much if it DID lean toward a broader pop feel.
    So far it aint getting my blood boiling with excitement like the last two albums studio snippets did. Im making no assumptions about the rest of the album, its still an auto buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    It's not so much a single track though. This track is a continuation of what a lot of people had issues with in Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    A lot of people? Or perhaps a very vocal minority?

HCE deftly accomplished something that doesn't happen to often in "prog" circles, in that it had songs which managed to contain "prog-rock", pop, jazz, and other elements -- within the same track -- and yet still sound natural. "Three Years Older" being the best example, IMO, opening with that Cinema Show-esque guitar pattern and then going off into other very different directions.

I'd like to hear more experimentation like that, rather than another Lightbulb Sun or Raven, personally. But YMMV, obviously.

Not judging, but I think the eventual, almost unavoidable backlash is about to hit, from some quarters. Once you've been on such a huge role as SW has, it's inevitable, that one day, sooner or later, some people will be less excited about your work, or change of direction, whether that change is huge, or marginal. Still auto-buy for me, but I think the days of almost automatic album of the year in many quarters, are at an end.

And that's okay.

neil

So people are pissed he hasn't brought back drum show-off Marco and is instead using the very musical Craig Blundell?

They forget pretty quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Strange? Really? What internet have you been hanging around for the last 30 years?
    😆...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    A lot of people? Or perhaps a very vocal minority?

HCE deftly accomplished something that doesn't happen to often in "prog" circles, in that it had songs which managed to contain "prog-rock", pop, jazz, and other elements -- within the same track -- and yet still sound natural. "Three Years Older" being the best example, IMO, opening with that Cinema Show-esque guitar pattern and then going off into other very different directions.

I'd like to hear more experimentation like that, rather than another Lightbulb Sun or Raven, personally. But YMMV, obviously.
    Absolutely, HCE was his most accomplished and varied work to date and hope this new CD is very similar. I never saw 'a lot' of people' either have any issues with HCE. Just read the reviews on Amazon for example with an overwhelming majority of people saying it's his best work to date!

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    So people are pissed he hasn't brought back drum show-off Marco and is instead using the very musical Craig Blundell?
    I have nearly the opposite perception of these two, but enjoy them both.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can enjoy a can of Spaghettios I heat up, but if someone else prepares a meal for me I expect Beef Wellington!

New major label deal, track released to fans early...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can enjoy a can of Spaghettios I heat up, but if someone else prepares a meal for me I expect Beef Wellington!

That's not quite what mean though. I mean we both made beef wellington (more or less), but we both made it slightly differently and there was just something about yours that didn't sit well with me.

We're prog fans...we can feel a pea under a hundred mattresses (musically speaking) and if things are not just so, well...we might end up hating something that to all outward appearances seems like something we should like.
    <sig out of order>

That's not quite what mean though. I mean we both made beef wellington (more or less), but we both made it slightly differently and there was just something about yours that didn't sit well with me.

We're prog fans...we can feel a pea under a hundred mattresses (musically speaking) and if things are not just so, well...we might end up hating something that to all outward appearances seems like something we should like.
    Fair enough -- I wasn't being critical, I can understand you just play whatever you feel like playing!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Fair enough -- I wasn't being critical, I can understand you just play whatever you feel like playing!
    Yes, much to the annoyance of everyone around me.
    <sig out of order>