Thread: Guitarist Bill Pohl joins Thinking Plague

Guitarist Bill Pohl joins Thinking Plague

Anyone who has read the Cuneiform Artist update is probably already aware, but IMO this little nugget is pretty huge news. Guitarist Bill Pohl, known around here primarily for his work as a solo artist and with The Underground Railroad, has been added to Thinking Plague as a second guitarist.

Thinking Plague's main man Mike Johnson had this to say in the Cuneiform thread:

"Writing new music, and feeling excited about it. Breaking some new ground for me, because I've been unsatisfied with doing sort of more of the same. And because TP has a new 'other' guitarist (Bill Pohl) and is not likely to have a regular full-time keys person. That is causing me to think in terms of an live ensemble of 2 guitars, reeds, and accordion-or-piano (Elaine), as well as bass and drums (that's one configuration). So, I've been writing new material using the guitars as if they were mainly monophonic, like violins (if you use a fuzz, etc.), and this has gotten me writing a lot of chamber-music-like independent lines that, combined, created a harmonic whole. But the "whole" is always shifting and morphing....and that's got me excited. So, like sub-units, trios or quartets of guitars, reeds and keys, accompanied by bass and drums. Certainly, I've had passages like this before, but this new line-up is making me dig more purposefully and deeply into it. Plus I feel that my harmonic 'language' or approach has become more crystalized and almost 'automatic'. Once I set about writing, it just comes. I have to guide or channel it (or not)."

This should not be taken, btw, to mean that TP is NOT going to be an "avant prog rock" band anymore. Not at all. My goal is to show how far so-called "rock" can go in the direction we've been exploring.
    I'm excited to hear the new direction, and how Pohl's fusiony styling will work into the framework of TP. Hopefully we get to hear some recorded material in a reasonable timeframe (i.e. an album within 3 years would be awesome)

- Jeff

That IS exciting! Bill Pohl is a great guitar player and I always felt that Thinking Plague and The Underground Railroad shared some common ground.

Bill's a super nice fellow too! We used to correspond for a while after I sent an email to the UR website. He came and met me for lunch at the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport when I had a three hour layover there once. Great sense of humor and very humble and unassuming about his immense talent.

Although I like this combination, I would rather have Bill record the third Underground Railroad album.

I like this addition to The Thinking Plague.

I like the idea of fusion style guitar added to an avant-garde band. Or should I say, even more avant-garde than Underground Railroad.

I don't think that Bill Pohl playing with The Thinking Plague negates the idea that he will ever play with Underground Railroad again. Whether there is another UR release probably depends on Kurt Rongy's plans.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Although I like this combination, I would rather have Bill record the third Underground Railroad album.
    Ha, ditto. Both bands are wonderful. But my preference is for a more 'lyrical' density, that is not so constrained by any notion of what a 'RIO' band should be. For me at least, 'avant' only sounds like cliché.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I too like the news. While I like keyboards in that capacity I really really like twin guitar attacks, so I'm looking forward to what will come out of this.

Was there confirmed a third that fell through or is this a hopeful response?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I too like the news. While I like keyboards in that capacity I really really like twin guitar attacks, so I'm looking forward to what will come out of this.

Was there confirmed a third that fell through or is this a hopeful response?
    I heard that they wrote enough (at least some) material for a third album and performed some of it live.
    Obviously they didn't go any further with that.

I'm another UR fan & a TP fan. One bands loss is anothers gain, sort of. Bill is an excellent player!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Heard this a couple of weeks ago, it's interesting development, I'm just glad that Mike is writing new material.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I heard that they wrote enough (at least some) material for a third album and performed some of it live.
    Obviously they didn't go any further with that.
    Ahh...I wasn't even aware of that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm just glad that Mike is writing new material.
    Indeed!

Cool! I loved UR at NF01 and the thought of combining those two talents sounds intriguing. Which reminds me. I need to catch up with TP and UR. I haven't listened to either of them in a long time.
    flute juice

I'm not THAT familiar with him but he's a very, very talented guitarist and I enjoyed the Underground Railroad. Good for them for securing such a talent.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)