Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Sancious news

He might be on tour with Oz Noy this year. If you catch the show you can ask him then.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He might be on tour with Oz Noy this year. If you catch the show you can ask him then.
    See https://www.moshuluband.com/retratos for more details.

Moshulu is the name of that band, also featuring Jeff Berlin (another Pledge-victim?) and Dennis Chambers.
    Here's an old tune, Sleight Of Hands (originally from Sancious' The Bridge), by this new band:

Last edited by interbellum; 03-24-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: adding link

Wow the Moshulu band is quite the supergroup, sounds great. And they announced a show at the Van Dyck brewpub in my hometown, my favorite venue! Just a handful of tour dates so far.

Moshulu ...

- a restaurant in Philadelphia
    - a 4 masted ship
    - a street in the Bronx

wonder which one they named the band after?

OK, just read the band page - it was the ship
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Moshulu ...

- a restaurant in Philadelphia
    - a 4 masted ship
    - a street in the Bronx

wonder which one they named the band after?

OK, just read the band page - it was the ship
    I'll have to ask Dennis the next time we all get together to listen to music and eat pizza.

The restaurant is on the ship. It was kind of weird to eat there, The deck is sloped from the center and down toward the bulkheads, and the chairs had wheels on them ( at least when I ate there, and it has been many years) so i found myself having to hold onto the table so I wouldn't roll away. The longer the night went on the harder this became what with a couple drinks and all. It seemed like way to much energy to have to expend for a dinner.
    Last edited by fiberman; 04-10-2019 at 10:08 PM.

I was lucky enough to catch Moshulu at my local brewpub last night, one of just 7 North American shows. I’d never actually seen David Sancious or Jeff Berlin before, and I hadn’t even heard of Oz Noy. What an incredible bunch of musicians. It was totally sold out, they even allowed access to the upper balcony for standing room only, which I’d never seen before.

They opened the show with Prelude #3 off of True Stories. The original was 4 minutes long, this version was 12. Can you say improv? I thought you could! There were only 8 numbers played, including the encore. It lasted about 90 minutes. Other songs played were Berlin’s Emeril Kicks It Up, off his 2001 album In Harmony’s Way, Cissy Strut from The Meters, Cosmic Background off Oz’s 2007 album Fuzzy, and a couple of new tracks. One called Loony Tuney featured some incredible drumming from Chambers over an extended guitar vamp.

The last 3 US shows are at the Iridium in NYC this weekend. I’d encourage anyone who can to go see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I was lucky enough to catch Moshulu at my local brewpub last night, one of just 7 North American shows. I’d never actually seen David Sancious or Jeff Berlin before, and I hadn’t even heard of Oz Noy. What an incredible bunch of musicians. It was totally sold out, they even allowed access to the upper balcony for standing room only, which I’d never seen before.

They opened the show with Prelude #3 off of True Stories. The original was 4 minutes long, this version was 12. Can you say improv? I thought you could! There were only 8 numbers played, including the encore. It lasted about 90 minutes. Other songs played were Berlin’s Emeril Kicks It Up, off his 2001 album In Harmony’s Way, Cissy Strut from The Meters, Cosmic Background off Oz’s 2007 album Fuzzy, and a couple of new tracks. One called Loony Tuney featured some incredible drumming from Chambers over an extended guitar vamp.

The last 3 US shows are at the Iridium in NYC this weekend. I’d encourage anyone who can to go see it.
    Thanks for the review. New songs? Great! Hopefully they'll visit a studio soon.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks for the review. New songs? Great! Hopefully they'll visit a studio soon.
    That probably won't happen.

Saw Moshulu last Friday (5/10/19) in Michigan and they were tremendous. The show was ~90 mins and featured a fair amount of soloing/improv by all 4 members. Given his somewhat recent health issues, Dennis Chambers seemed to play the tunes in what I thought to be a more restrained manner (at least for him) than what we customarily get from DC. However during his solos he killed it. It was my first time seeing David Sancious and Oz Noy in a live setting. Jeff, Oz and David hung around the merch table, sold CDs and vinyl, chatted and posed for photos.

See https://www.moshuluband.com/retratos for more details.

Moshulu is the name of that band, also featuring Jeff Berlin (another Pledge-victim?) and Dennis Chambers.
    Here's an old tune, Sleight Of Hands (originally from Sancious' The Bridge), by this new band:

This was quite nice, thank you for posting it.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Saw Moshulu last Friday (5/10/19) in Michigan and they were tremendous. The show was ~90 mins and featured a fair amount of soloing/improv by all 4 members. Given his somewhat recent health issues, Dennis Chambers seemed to play the tunes in what I thought to be a more restrained manner (at least for him) than what we customarily get from DC. However during his solos he killed it. It was my first time seeing David Sancious and Oz Noy in a live setting. Jeff, Oz and David hung around the merch table, sold CDs and vinyl, chatted and posed for photos.
    I have a copy of that show and have been listening to it. Dennis played the way he was supposed to in that band. He has no more medical issues from what happened to him. A friend of mine saw them Saturday at the Iridium in New York, and Dennis pretty mush played the same way. Oz Noy is more of a blues/fusion then jazz/fusion. A couple of us were hanging with Dennis at a friend's house a couple months ago and he explained what happened to him. I and maybe 50% of us on here have what Dennis had but it may never blowup like it did with him. But he's fine now and there won't be any studio recordings from this band.

there won't be any studio recordings from this band.
    is it that some band members are dead set against it?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is it that some band members are dead set against it?
    Lack of time and I don't think Berlin has any interest. From what I heard they originally wanted Greg Howe.

Lack of time and I don't think Berlin has any interest. From what I heard they originally wanted Greg Howe.
    I would've preferred Howe. I'm not much of an Oz Noy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I would've preferred Howe. I'm not much of an Oz Noy guy.
    Dennis would have probably gone off more like he did with Tetsuo Sakurai.

Great band and I'm very glad it's Oz Noy in there. He's a fantastic player with real harmonic savvy and his own style.

Some news from David on the Pledge-situation:
    https://vimeo.com/338997522

And here's the email we got from John McCracken on this issue:

Hi Everyone,

We have been stonewalled by Pledge as to what the next steps are in terms of us receiving funds. We have no idea when and if that will happen. We have enlisted an attorney to help us navigate this

Next week we will send the link to migrate all Pledges to a new website.

Attached is a link from David with the update. https://vimeo.com/338997522

The issues we are facing are serious:

If your credit card was charged (that should not have happened!!) we will not be able to honor the commitments via Pledge until we receive the funds from them. Otherwise, they will have taken the funds and caused us to be out of pocket for things you paid for but for which we received no funds. That is fraud.
    On the new website, we will be scaling down the offerings since we are concerned that until we receive all the funds from Pledge, we can’t financially commit to covering those costs. I am working daily to get this resolved.
    If your card did not get charged, we will send a link next week with the new offerings and pricing with an ecommerce payment setup.
    We are still planning on releasing this recording in September.

We are very sorry for all this but like a lot of artists on Pledge, we were blindsided by this. With little recourse.

I promise to reach out to all of you next week and update as soon as I hear from Pledge.

Thank you.

All best,

John

Sancious' new album Eyes Wide Open is finally there. Those who ordered it from https://headstrongmediagroup.com/art.../ewocdunsigned received the download and the CD will follow soon.
    The new version of True Stories will see the light of day soon too.
    The new music sounds fresh, somewhat in the vein of True Stories and a lighter version of Automatic Man: soulful prog!

Sancious' new album Eyes Wide Open is finally there. Those who ordered it from https://headstrongmediagroup.com/art.../ewocdunsigned received the download and the CD will follow soon.
    The new music sounds fresh, somewhat in the vein of True Stories and a lighter version of Automatic Man: soulful prog!
    Thanks a bunch. Love David’s work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I had forgotten all about this.

Seems that the unsigned True Stories is already sold out; the signed is still available: https://headstrongmediagroup.com/art.../truestoriescd

Title-track from the new album Eyes Wide Open.

https://vimeo.com/416363880

Unfortunatelly my package with the CD is stuck in the USA since March

Banned
    Title-track from the new album Eyes Wide Open.

https://vimeo.com/416363880

Unfortunatelly my package with the CD is stuck in the USA since March
    One has to join the site to watch the video.

Opened fine for me.

Not yet loving the new album but still working on it.