Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rest in peace, Clive Brooks

RIP.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

RIP. I listened to the first Egg album as soon I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    He managed to turn the most complex stuff Mont Cambell and Dave Stewart could think of to throw at him into kick-ass rock 'n' roll!!
    I couldn’t say it any better. He was a serious power-drummer, and his ability to pound it out Keith Moon-style in 13/8 time is an undeniable and rare talent.

R.I.P., my good man, your work was enjoyed by many.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That was Clive Brooks?! According to Pink Floyd: In The Flesh (which I just happen to keep next to the computer), that was the first night of the second run of shows in London, 13 June, 1981. But in this book, he's identified simply as "Clive (nobody seems to remember his last name)".
    I didn't know about Clive Brooks and Floyd until I read Nick Mason's book.

As I recall, Mason wrote jokingly that after that he noticed Brooks looking at him before each gig hoping some health emergency would happen and that he would get to play onstage with Floyd again.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Of course, there are Dave's "Keyboards" columns which used a fair bit of Hatfield/NH material, albeit just sections, and almost certainly no Egg.
    He did include bits of his manuscripts and those of other Canterbury writers in his book about learning to read music.

Wow. So sad to hear this. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I didn't know about Clive Brooks and Floyd until I read Nick Mason's book.
    Damn, I need to get that book one of these days.

RIP Clive. Amazing drummer. Canterbury has lost another legend.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    RIP, sad loss.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So sorry and sad to hear. I finally came to grips with Egg in the late 90's and they still impress. Incredible stuff.

Sadness.RIP.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Listening today over drinks. Hot presummer midday here in Oslo.

I have to say that damn, Brooks' contributions to the outcoming impressions of Egg's staunch and robust intricacies (which were themselves highly experimental in nature) weren't merely central or relevant but a determining factor. This guy is not in total control because he doesn't stand a choice but rather due to the fact that the music itself simply can't outrun his driving of it. I recall reding someone saying in a thread while back that Brooks' drumming sounded "mechanical" or forced/necessitated, but the truth is that when I listen to "Enneagram" now there's little that could be bettered with his vision of things.

His playing needs to be discovered or rediscovered, and not only by fans of "prog".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Despite actually being a year older than the other two, he always looked like a little kind on the old band photos, so it feels strange and sad seeing him go first.

I had only exchanged a few words with him via e-mail or Skype, since an interview had been made largely redudant by the excellent work done by Stewart and Campbell on the copious notes booklets. Surely he would have had interesting stories to tell about his time with the Groundhogs and Pink Floyd.

RIP.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Rest in Peace.

Here's a more resent contribution of Clive to the music-world, Jakko M. Jakszyk interpretation of the Soft Machine-song As Long As He Lies Perfectly Still:

• Written by Mike Ratledge & Robert Wyatt

— Jakko Jakszyk (Jakko M. Jakszyk, born Michael Lee Curran): vocals, guitar
    — Dave Stewart: keyboards
    — Hugh Hopper: bass
    — Gary Barnacle: flute, saxophone
    — Clive Brooks: drums

^And he sounds as great as ever! One of my fave songs of all time, btw. Covered this in a band of my own back in the day. It bridges and channels the harmonically melancholy and darkly humourous "pataphysical" aspect with immense subtility.

Dave S. obviously hasn't THAT much probs performing other oldies' stuff, it appears. Given his collabs with Steven Wilson I kinda Wonder how D.S. felt about that No-Man sampling of Bach's "D Minor" fugue (1st. album). I always thought that kinda stinked myself, Tim Bowness notwithstanding.

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Listened to all of The Civil Surface yesterday, and then some of The Polite Force. His playing on Surface was a perfect fit for the music -- interesting description, Richard, about the music not being able to outrun his drumming.

I saw a vinyl copy of the first Egg album at my local record shop a couple weeks ago, but I didn't get it. I may go back 'round again and see if it's still there, and if so, scoop it up.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Rest in Peace.

Here's a more resent contribution of Clive to the music-world, Jakko M. Jakszyk interpretation of the Soft Machine-song As Long As He Lies Perfectly Still:

• Written by Mike Ratledge & Robert Wyatt

— Jakko Jakszyk (Jakko M. Jakszyk, born Michael Lee Curran): vocals, guitar
    — Dave Stewart: keyboards
    — Hugh Hopper: bass
    — Gary Barnacle: flute, saxophone
    — Clive Brooks: drums
    That is way cool! One of my favorite tunes on Soft Machine's second album for sure. Clive sounds great on that (and Jakko's vocals suit the song quite well, too).

Where did that cut come from? Is there a physical edition of that song/album anywhere?

Edit: Just checked the YouTube page and saw the disc information posted there. Duh. Sorry about that!

He also played all the drums on this album... Very few know it, even in Greece.

https://www.discogs.com/Pantelis-Deligiannides-Follow-The-Sun/release/4416280

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ WoW! I had no idea whatsoever!

Thx, Spyros!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ WoW! I had no idea whatsoever!

Thx, Spyros!

only Clice and Spyros knew that on this planet...

he other guys in the band probably didn't know who he was.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Clive Brooks and Pete Cruickshank formed one of the tightest rhythm sections in hard rock as part of The Groundhogs (with Tony McPhee). They recorded two fantastic progressive blues-rock albums in Hogwash and Solid. It seemed a strange irony, to me, that an excellent unshowy musician like Clive became a drum technician for Pink Floyd, but I suppose it paid better than the clubs. I think he also ran a drumming school near where I currently live. It may be a cliche, but The Groundhogs were very underrated, especially around the time Clive was a member.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That is way cool! One of my favorite tunes on Soft Machine's second album for sure. Clive sounds great on that (and Jakko's vocals suit the song quite well, too).

Where did that cut come from? Is there a physical edition of that song/album anywhere?

Edit: Just checked the YouTube page and saw the disc information posted there. Duh. Sorry about that!
    It's also featured on Jakko's double-CD "The Bruised Romantic Glee Club"; the second disc starts with this tune and then a couple of other covers of songs that inspired Jakko through the years follow.

And the track was also added on a Soft Machine compilation-3-CD, "Man In A Deaf Corner".

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Clive Brooks and Pete Cruickshank formed one of the tightest rhythm sections in hard rock as part of The Groundhogs (with Tony McPhee). They recorded two fantastic progressive blues-rock albums in Hogwash and Solid. It seemed a strange irony, to me, that an excellent unshowy musician like Clive became a drum technician for Pink Floyd, but I suppose it paid better than the clubs. I think he also ran a drumming school near where I currently live. It may be a cliche, but The Groundhogs were very underrated, especially around the time Clive was a member.
    +1
    I love Hogwash. Lots of good live material from when Brooks was in The Groundhogs.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

^ My favourite Groundhogs live recording is the BBC Radio One In Concert recorded around the time of Solid/Two Sides of TS McPhee. It was released on the BBC's Windsong label.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09