Thread: 26th Anny Downtown Music Gallery Spotlight

26th Anny Downtown Music Gallery Spotlight

Henry Cow fans take note!!!!!!!

Cool.I posted this clip in the Record Store Day 2017 thread.Been going to DMG since its beginnings.Always nice to say hello to Bruce and chew the fat about music.

Watch your step going down the stairs,duck as you reach the crossbeam and be careful of that last stair going into the store, it's a doozy.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Great place to shop, although you need to budget a fair amount of time to do so: Their classification into vocal and instrumental certainly makes sense for music that tends to defy genre, but it means you'll have an album of solo Appalachian fiddle music right between two free jazz records, and need to go through everything. And Bruce is a fascinating guy to talk to - I'm not sure if I've ever met someone more knowledgeable about the recordings side of music.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Watch your step going down the stairs,duck as you reach the crossbeam and be careful of that last stair going into the store, it's a doozy.
    I just back down the stairs.

I've only been twice (it's a place of pilgrimage for a Zorn fan) but the most recent time was last month. It's great to have some perspective on the history of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    It's a place of pilgrimage for a Zorn fan.
    What other place of Earth has an entire, labeled display rack exclusively devoted to Tzadik releases?

I marked my calendar.July 15th at 6pm at DMG,Henry Kaiser solo guitar.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

LOVE this place. Bruce is a genuine and knowledgeable, passionate guy.

Watching Bruce talk about how he financed his month at the Stone and what it ran him made my stomach hurt...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Only in New York - the greatest city on the planet.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I marked my calendar.July 15th at 6pm at DMG,Henry Kaiser solo guitar.
    Oooh, I should make plans to see that. Never seen Henry perform before.

The first time I went to NYC, back in 1998, my friend I was staying with took me to DMG. I think I ended up buying a couple Derek Bailey CD's, and one or two other things. I remember talking to Bruce (I think it's Bruce) about Anthony Braxton, and how the only time you ever see any of his records at stores in the Cleveland area, it's almost invariably the standards records he's occasionally done. Bruce says, "Oh, those aren't very good, Braxton doesn't understand that music well enough to do it justice".

The second time I went there was in 2002, I think, when I went to NYC to see Yes at Radio City Music Hall. I got lost trying to find the place on my own, and ended up walking in just as Nels Cline, whose performane I was intending to see, was leaving. But still had a good time on that visit. I remember I had a CD by Nicky Skopelitis and Rajoul Bjorkenheim in my hand, and he says, "Oh, if you like Nicky, you should get this", and pulls out a CD that a CD that he had recorded with a couple Greek musicians and says "We've got the last couple copies in the free world, and it's not going to be reprinted", so I picked it up. (footnote: I subsequently learned that not only was there a second Skopelitis disc with the same musicians, but the two of them were eventually reissued, as a three CD set, with an entire CD of bonus material).

I also remember him hawking Tjiszi Munoz to me, who I had seen on Letterman. I don't think I had enough to buy any of the Munoz stuff he had, as I had committed to the Skopelitis thing and I forget what else I got on that visit.

Last time I went to NYC, being the dummy I am, I don't think I allowed enough time for a visit to DMG, but like I said, I might need to see this Henry Kaiser performance.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-07-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Chinatown has been "discovered," rents rising accordingly. Not good news for Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Bruce says, "Oh, those aren't very good, Braxton doesn't understand that music well enough to do it justice".
    He's right.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

That's why we need to shop online at his store if we can't be there in person 😊

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing this. I had to pause a few times when Frith/Cutler/Hodgkinson were playing, just to verify if that was me behind Cutler (I think that was me!). I've been frequenting DMG since at least 1997. maybe even earlier. Bruce and Manny are great to chat with, and have provided me with a wealth of knowledge of weird and unclassifiable music. Bless them! Bless DMG!

Banned
    Thanks for posting that, wasn't aware of the history. I dropped in there last summer and it was not easy to find that proverbial hole in the wall on the rundown outskirts of Chinatown. I spent a good time there going through the vinyl and I gotta say it was slim pickings. Maybe if Bruce was there instead of the disinterested know-nothing kid who was minding the shop I would have had a different experience.