Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King crimson - live in Vienna release for sept 2017

King crimson - live in Vienna release for sept 2017

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/New%20KCCC%20CD%20planned

Sadly the 2016 show that is in the pipeline for release has all the new stuff they did in 2016 besides of course fracture.....because of course they held that one back!

Inevitably a version of that tune from the 7 or 8 man crimson will get Reese's somewhere down the line....September does not appear to be that time though! Sad!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    https://www.dgmlive.com/news/New%20KCCC%20CD%20planned

Sadly the 2016 show that is in the pipeline for release has all the new stuff they did in 2016 besides of course fracture.....because of course they held that one back!

Inevitably a version of that tune from the 7 or 8 man crimson will get Reese's somewhere down the line....September does not appear to be that time though! Sad!
    Reese's?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Reese's?
    released, I'm guessing.

Or else they're going to get chocolate in your peanut butter.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

spelling fail from me......whoops

that said, saw on fripp's facebook today that Fracture from Copenhagen will be included in the Vienna live release in September! Obviously, Fracture was not on the set in Vienna, but good on them to recognize how badly fans would be clamoring for it so they're apparently tacking it on as a bonus track! so come september, there will be pro audio available of Fracture 2016.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Damn, I was hoping that KC CDs would come with candy.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll pass. Any new KC live is usually an auto-buy, but this nostalgia tour leaves me cold. What I've always liked about Fripp & Co. is the complete lack of nostalgia in a lot of ways, now it's a full on 70s review that is made ponderous by the triple-drummer format (which doesn't sound appreciably different from one or two drummers to my ears).

I would reconsider if candy options were solid.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    LOL, whut? Auto-spell is not your friend!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I'm in.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll pass. Any new KC live is usually an auto-buy, but this nostalgia tour leaves me cold. What I've always liked about Fripp & Co. is the complete lack of nostalgia in a lot of ways, now it's a full on 70s review that is made ponderous by the triple-drummer format (which doesn't sound appreciably different from one or two drummers to my ears).
    I have lost all interest in this incarnation of King Crimson for similar reasons.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

It was undeniably a thing when it debuted, and I appreciate it evolving through 2015, but the three-drummer concept has always been about what it looks like live than what it sounds like on record, and the concept of bringing the older material back to life after decades of dormancy has now been happening long enough in this format and in enough venues around the world that I think they would be best off moving on and starting write new music again. I think the current incarnation of the band was excellent and brought a new perspective to the back catalog, but in my personal perfect world for KC, they would be re-born yet again and move forward. Certainly, they are easily the best-equipped musically and creatively of all of the legacy prog bands to do so successfully.

Without Adrian, they have no one that can compose worthy new KC music anymore. So the nostalgia tours continue..

This is the least interesting KC incarnation ever to me. Great songs with great musicians, but the spirit is missing. Saw them live in 2014, bought the last Blu-ray and live CDs set. Have no intention of spending more money on this incarnation.

Hopefully Robert and Adrian have one more run in them, but probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It was undeniably a thing when it debuted, and I appreciate it evolving through 2015, but the three-drummer concept has always been about what it looks like live than what it sounds like on record, and the concept of bringing the older material back to life after decades of dormancy has now been happening long enough in this format and in enough venues around the world that I think they would be best off moving on and starting write new music again. I think the current incarnation of the band was excellent and brought a new perspective to the back catalog, but in my personal perfect world for KC, they would be re-born yet again and move forward. Certainly, they are easily the best-equipped musically and creatively of all of the legacy prog bands to do so successfully.
    agreed

what was cool about this new Crimson was that a "nostalgia tour" was actually something totally new for the band - "we don't do old material" has been pretty constant throughout their entire life, more or less. and I think they've been really killing it. but Radical Action was so good and so labored over that I don't know what Yet Another Live Album could bring..."Fracture"? "Cirkus"? interesting but whatever. lets get some new material, chaps!!
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    agreed

what was cool about this new Crimson was that a "nostalgia tour" was actually something totally new for the band - "we don't do old material" has been pretty constant throughout their entire life, more or less. and I think they've been really killing it. but Radical Action was so good and so labored over that I don't know what Yet Another Live Album could bring..."Fracture"? "Cirkus"? interesting but whatever. lets get some new material, chaps!!
    It's not meant to be another live album/follow up to Radical Action. It's a new Collector's Club release. There are literally 100s of shows from all eras of the band available thru the Collector's Club.

(okay, maybe not hundreds, but you get my point.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Without Adrian, they have no one that can compose worthy new KC music anymore. So the nostalgia tours continue..

This is the least interesting KC incarnation ever to me. Great songs with great musicians, but the spirit is missing. Saw them live in 2014, bought the last Blu-ray and live CDs set. Have no intention of spending more money on this incarnation.

I won't argue the nostalgia thing (not that I completely agree, but it doesn't matter), but "Meltdown," while not much for new material, is a really good song. The lyrics are clever, the bass line is good, Levin harmonizes well with Jakko and the drums interlock interestingly. There's even a nice Mellotron swell toward the end.

A full album of that? Yeah, I'd be happy with the that. But I guess I'll just have to be happy with what I have to be happy with.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    3rd row seats in Montreal. To the naysayers - you're choice but I think the band is still spectacular! I'm excited to see them in a few months.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I can understand this outlook, but I figure they feel they don't have another album in them but there's demand for concerts. As someone who's only gotten to see KC three times (Discipline, TOAPP, and the first Elements leg), I kind of appreciate it. I don't see as milking us as much as making a living and spreading some KC love ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It was undeniably a thing when it debuted, and I appreciate it evolving through 2015, but the three-drummer concept has always been about what it looks like live than what it sounds like on record, and the concept of bringing the older material back to life after decades of dormancy has now been happening long enough in this format and in enough venues around the world that I think they would be best off moving on and starting write new music again.
    I agree, though for those of us on the west coast I think this is only the second time through with the nostalgia tour, and of course the first with the current lineup. But I do agree that a new album would not go amiss.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    agreed

it would be nice to see them producing more new material, although fripp had confirmed in a diary that there's a radical action III that's being worked on in rehearsals. So that leaves us with radical I, Radical II, radical III, meltdown, and suitable grounds. Then you have the drum pieces if you consider those to be new crimson......

would be nice to see them spool out a whole bunch of new material, but we shall see! The fripp diary mentioned fallen angel and exiles are in play as well......so more than likely they're continuing the trend of adding a few more songs from the 70s each tour along with a periodic new song....would be glad to be proven wrong!

even if new material is in the works, would not expect it this year. You have the Heroes release in June and the KCCC release in september and if we're lucky some kind of something for Christmas, although they haven't announced anything. that puts any new album into 2018...unless we get something as a christmas miracle! regardless, good for fripp that he seems to have found a way to tour that makes him happy.

I think that this may be part of the reason why Adrian isn't in this formation. If he's the primary songwriter, then we're verging into "Adrian Belew and the King Crimson All-Stars", which I personally would be really into but that's not KC any longer.

I really want to love this incarnation, but it leaves me cold. I'll probably see them again since one of my friends REALLY wants to go.

There's no lack of composing talent in the current band. Levin and Mastelotto have numerous projects where they've written the music. Jakszyk and Harrison wrote most of Dizrhythmia 's recent Too. I believe Fripp wrote one or two things in the past. What's the hold up?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    What's the hold up?
    What hold up? Seems like they are writing exactly as much new material as they feel like writing.

This idea that artists are obligated to art at the whim of the art consumer is unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    What hold up? Seems like they are writing exactly as much new material as they feel like writing.

This idea that artists are obligated to art at the whim of the art consumer is unsettling.
    Not for King Crimson. They've always been about new music. This incarnation has produced some new music, but frankly it's not memorable. People are coming to the shows only for the oldies now. That's never been what KC was about.

Not for King Crimson. They've always been about new music. This incarnation has produced some new music, but frankly it's not memorable. People are coming to the shows only for the oldies now. That's never been what KC was about.
    Except when this version of the band was announced by fripp back in 2013, he explicitly referred to it as a touring and performing band, not one who's intent was to necessarily go out and write a bunch of new music. They've always been clear about their goals and aims, and yes those goals and aims clash with what the band has done in the past, but things change. Fripp and company are doing a great job performing 3 hours of music nightly, with regularly changing set lists where they seem to be enjoying themselves. And they deserve to enjoy themselves on tour after all these years! I imagine we'll see more new music from this lineup, just be patient and wait and see what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post

Half the posts in PE are wanting artists to do this or that. You must find the whole forum pretty unsettling.

Henry