Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour l'e'chafaud (Lift to the scaffold)

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    When someone mentioned how short it was, I realized I had the deluxe edition on Blu-ray Pure Audio. Fantastic sound, but there are a lot of alternate versions of tracks that are all put together instead of after the album proper. It's well over an hour long.
    Why put three versions of the same composition together in the sequence of an album?
    Partly because they were recorded that way - everything on the record, barring I think one track, was composed spontaneously by the trio as they watched the film, with nothing but a melodic fragment or rhythmic idea as a starting point. So, in this case, hearing the music as they recorded it actually makes sense compared to what is normally done. Me, I love it for the atmosphere...

And, btw, I also have the pure blu ray audio edition and it's wonderful. But for those tied to CDs and interested in the longer edition, there have been CD reissues with all the same bonus tracks.

The soundtrack was originally released, on vinyl, on the 1958 compilation Jazz Tracks, which had the soundtrack on side one, with the other side containing three wonderful tracks by the shortlived Bill Evans incarnation of the Miles Davis Sextet with Coltrane, Cannonball, Chambers & Cobb.

And GuitarGeek: not to be argumentative, but there are times when reordering does make sense. I think this one benefits, as they're all spontaneous improvs anyway. As another example, Pat Metheny's twentieth anniversary Song X sounds way better with the "bonus" (let's call them additional, ok?) tracks embedded....most at the start of the album, which really makes sense for me, as I always felt the original got to the frenetic Endangered Species" way too soon and I just never "got" it. The 20th ann. edition I totally get.

So, sometimes it makes sense to mess with these things. Heck, given the ability to import your music into a player and sequence it any way you please, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal anyway.

Personally, though, I tend to be one of those guys who likes the bonus material (though, admittedly, I generally prefer them at the end of the "standard" program unless it's a box set where the intention is to present material chronologically as it was recorded- like a lot of the Mosaics and the Miles Davis metal spine boxes, for two examples - because I absolutely love the process of making a record.

So outtakes, aborted takes, etc. all work for me - and, when I'm in the right mood, chronologically, so you can hear how things evolved - or, sometimes, didn't!! Hearing an entire CD of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," on his Cutting Edge box, is a total revelation (and nobody was more surprised than I; while I bought the box, I was highly skeptical of a whole disc of "Like a Rolling Stone," but it really works!), as you can hear the song start as a loping 3/4 time piece that gradually takes shape over about an hour's worth of various band and individual instrumentalist takes. The recent Fleetwoid Mac deluxe reissues do the same thing, especially with Rumours and Tusk...though the bonus music is separated from the album remaster proper.

Cheers!
    John
    Last edited by jkelman; 05-21-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Mostly not a huge fan of Miles' acoustic period (jazz heresy, I know)
    I'm gonna have to send some of my henchmen to your place to set you straight....or else ...."Pow! To the moon, Alice!!!"
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer