Thread: Rush: Beyong the Lighted Stage segments

Rush: Beyong the Lighted Stage segments

color.jpgI was wondering about a very short clip of live footage used in the movie. Seemed to be circa 1976 2112 tour & it was in color. (Not the blurry, silent stuff & not the early video of Rutsey at the high school show) Now, we've seen the b&w footage from New Jersey & plenty from the '79 Pink Pop Festival, but what was *that* earlier color footage from??

See- *that's* the stuff they need to put out on dvd at least as extras- whatever that was & the entire Pink Pop set.
    I wanna pull my hair out when I hear Les Claypool describe the film graphics for the Hemispheres tour!
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 02-02-2013 at 08:12 AM.

I have this DVD (Beyond The Lighted Stage). I really think it's excellent, and I love the fact that they spend more time on the early history of the band and all the 70s gigs and stuff. Some of the interviews (or I should say the interviewees) are just a joke. I could've done without Jack Black, Gene Simmons, and Sebastian Bach. The best interviews (imo) were Billy Corgin (Corbin? The guy from Smashing Pumpkins), and Kirk Hammett. I have this DVD and Rush In Rio. The only other Rush DVD I'd ever be interested in getting would be a DVD of all their vintage performances in the 70s and early 80s (the ones that exist on film, if any)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I have this DVD (Beyond The Lighted Stage). I really think it's excellent, and I love the fact that they spend more time on the early history of the band and all the 70s gigs and stuff. Some of the interviews (or I should say the interviewees) are just a joke. I could've done without Jack Black, Gene Simmons, and Sebastian Bach. The best interviews (imo) were Billy Corgin (Corbin? The guy from Smashing Pumpkins), and Kirk Hammett. I have this DVD and Rush In Rio. The only other Rush DVD I'd ever be interested in getting would be a DVD of all their vintage performances in the 70s and early 80s (the ones that exist on film, if any)
    Rush in Rio and Beyond The Lighted Stage are great DVDs. Not a fan of Simmons or KISS, but I could deal with his appearance since KISS toured with Rush and he could bring some value added comments to the documentary. Can't say the same thing for Black. His presence on the documentary was a total waste of bits and electricity. He provided the same tired antics he is known for. I can't understand why he is so popular.
    Last edited by enpdllp; 02-02-2013 at 11:34 AM.

My guess is that the guy who produced the film (the guy who also did Iron Maiden's "Flight 666") probably couldn't get the people he really wanted to interview, or maybe the band members of Rush had to sign off on who they would allow to be interviewed. OTOH, it could've been that the Jack Blacks and Sebastian Bachs are very visible on VH1 and all those "rock shows" on cable and he thought it would add some familiarity or something. I dunno. I think it was good to include Mike Portnoy though.

Yeah, I wondered about that clip too. If they're sitting on some old footage, just RELEASE IT ALREADY, DAMMIT. We're not getting any younger here.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I enjoyed Jack Black's enthusiasm... it seemed very genuine.

I'd love to see that complete footage too! I suppose it's possible, as with many bands out there, that one or more of the members simply doesn't like it and wants it to stay unreleased.

I agree that Jack Black was genuinely enthusiastic, but I also find him annoying and largely unfunny. I can tolerate him but I'm generally just waiting until a better interviewee appears. It's a documentary about one of your favourite bands, Jack. You can tone it down a bit. You don't always have to be 'on'.

I enjoyed all the other interviews though. Billy Corgan and Trent Reznor impressed me a lot, and I liked Gene Simmons too - it was refreshing to hear him talk up someone else for a change.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

One of the parts of the film I liked was when Alex was trying to explain the concept of "Caress Of Steal" to Paul Stanley, and Paul just didn't "get it." What a stupid f***. It's not like Caress of Steal was rocket surgery. And a member from KISS just didn't "get it."

It wasn't Alex "explaining" Caress of Steel; he played the pre-release tape for Paul when they were riding in a car together, and Stanley had a bewildered reaction.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

You're telling it better obviously, but I guess I just felt like taking a jab at KISS . I'm just thinking of the scene where Alex says (with that frustrated look on his face) "he just didn't get it." I always found that pairing odd though, Rush and KISS on the same bill. But that was the early/mid 70s, and Rush wasn't "prog" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I agree that Jack Black was genuinely enthusiastic, but I also find him annoying and largely unfunny. I can tolerate him but I'm generally just waiting until a better interviewee appears. It's a documentary about one of your favourite bands, Jack. You can tone it down a bit. You don't always have to be 'on'.
    I can deal with enthusiasm, but it is very hard for me to do it in Black's case. His delivery is always over the top. Makes it appear phony, even if he is being sincere. It also makes it look like he wants to steal some of the limelight from the band or person he is talking about.

Even though I don't care about the R&RHOF, I was glad Black was not selected to induct Rush into the R&RHOF.

PS I also agree that he is annoying and unfunny.

YES YES YES.

Why don't they release the vintage performance material?

Add me to the list of individuals that wish to see the Pink Pop and Caress footage!